Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Santa Fe New Year's (lots of pics)

lynninnewmexico
9 years ago

DH, DD and I ushered out the old year in Santa Fe yesterday. This is a beautiful town no matter what time of year it is, but especially so during the holidays. I took some pics as we strolled around and thought perhaps some of you might enjoy them.
We had a long, lazy lunch at one of our favorite restaurants, Tomasita's. Margaritas with chile rellenos (ray-EN-yos) and blue corn enchiladas was the perfect lunch to end 2014 with.
{{gwi:2134763}}
Santa Fe was especially festive, being decorated for the holiday and for our much loved governor, Susana Martinez's second term inauguration which was also yesterday. We'd forgotten that it was yesterday, and were initially surprised at all the people there for it.
Every so often, we enjoy wandering around Santa Fe's scenic Plaza, shopping, window shopping and people watching. Here's one particularly beautiful shop window right on The Plaza. Can you tell New Mexican's LOVE our turquoise?
{{gwi:2134764}}
I took this pic from The Plaza looking towards St. Francis Cathedral. That's one side of the famous La Fonda Hotel (The Inn at the End of the Santa Fe Trail) there on the right. It was an overcast day and we had snow again last night.
{{gwi:2134765}}
Another festively decorated shop window:
{{gwi:2134766}}
We wandered through La Fonda. It's interior is lovely and I always enjoy it's beautiful art and handcrafted furniture . There were many people wandering around in there, dressed in their finest for New Year's Eve and/or our governor's inauguration festivities. Here's DD (face blurred for privacy) lounging in their lobby.
{{gwi:2134767}}
Here's a pic I snapped of La Fonda's La Plazuela restaurant, which is right off their lobby:
{{gwi:2134768}}
We had fun perusing at all wonderful New Mexico books in La Fonda's gift shop:
{{gwi:2134769}}
The historic St. Francis Cathedral (featured heavily in Willa Cather's classic, "Death Comes To The Archbishop). Our governor was going to be attending a special mass here before her (re)swearing in and the tv reporters were already gathering as I snapped this pic. They were just to the right out of the pic.
{{gwi:2134770}}
A view from the Plaza of one side of the hotel. Can you see all of the farolitos along the roof lines, ready to light?
{{gwi:2134771}}

And then The Plaza looking magical in the moonlight with it's many farolitos.
{{gwi:2134772}}

Well, I hope you've enjoyed a little stroll with me through our beautiful Santa Fe.
Wishing you all Feliz Ano Nuevo (Happy New Year)!
Lynn

Comments (13)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Beautiful, Lynn. Thanks for the tour. It's been a few years since we've visited last but you've made me want to return!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wow. Really cool, Linen. SO different from here. I've always wanted to go to Santa Fe and Taos.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I can't see the pics on my iPad, but our college friends who live here now lived in Santa Fe from 90-99. We visited I think in 95.....so pretty! They loved it there but a new job took them elsewhere. They loved Santa Fe....she would love to move back but said they probably couldn't afford it in retirement.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by joaniepoanie on Thu, Jan 1, 15 at 21:20

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

Since I've seen your pics for the last few years and a really good friend of mine has been going there the last couple of years, Santa Fe is definitely in my near future to go.

Love seeing your pictures!

This post was edited by olliesmom on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 2:17

• yayagal
    9 years ago

That was wonderful to see and imagine being there, thank you.

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

Love your pictures, Lynn! New Mexico is one of our favorite places, especially Santa Fe and its surroundings. I recall La Fonda so well, also dined in La Plazuela, and enjoyed exploring the public areas of the hotel. The silkscreen print over our fireplace is from a Canyon Road gallery; it's titled "Lamy, N.M." after Bishop Lamy. You are fortunate to live near this charming town. We'd like to visit at this time of year; the lights must be incredible.

And love the photo of your daughter, who looks like such a Southwestern girl!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

Fabulous overview of your outing, seems like a fun time and makes me want to visit !! thanks Lynn!

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful pictures, Lynn! Thank you for taking us along on your NewYear's Eve outing with your family!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Beautiful Lynn! And I also noticed the abundance of lumanarias along the walkways. When we lived back in IL, one of the money makers for our civic association was putting together a package of sand, white sandwich bags, and votives that each homeowner would purchase, and put out along their sidewalk on Christmas eve. If there were leftovers, we would use them at the homes of neighbors who were not going to be home. We liked to keep the 'gaps' filled in. It was something we looked forward to every year.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Thanks, Lynn. I've never been but I see I definitely should add it to my list of places to visit. Very nice, esp the art and interiors.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

wonderful. and no snow!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What lovely pictures Lynn. Thanks for sharing.
    I thought the mark on your daughter's face was a reflection from her cell phone.