Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
outsideplaying_gw

Recipe 911 for a single man & diabetic

I'm trying to help my DD, who is trying to help a family member, age 76, who is currently having some unexpected health problems. For some background: First he has been hospitalized with pneumonia, then had sepsis, and now has discovered his blood sugar has flared up to the point he is declared Type 2. His wife passed away about 8 months ago, and he has been in great health until now. He can cook some on his own (his wife was a terrible cook), and DD is helping him shop and plan some meals for a couple of weeks until he is feeling better. She lives about 5 min away, is an RN and food-savvy, but this one has her a little thrown as to how to guide him in prep for one. And to keep them man-friendly iykwim. We have talked about the rotisserie chickens, pre-cooked chicken breasts and fish, with veggies and salads, even if the vegs are frozen he could do that.

Does anyone have a simple cookbook or online resource to recommend, or a few simple recipes to share? Thanks for your help.

Comments (15)

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

His doctor should be able to give him nutrition information and/or a nutritionist referral. Please try posting this on the Cooking Forum.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, kd. I will.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I wish I could help guide you in the right direction recipe wise, but I'm not much of a cook. I would imagine crock pot meals would be great so I Googled it and came up with the link below. There should be other types of recipes on that site too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diabetic Slow Cooker Recipes

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Here is a link to the American Diabetes Assn recipe website.

DH was put on a low sodium diet by a pulmonologist several years ago. He also saw his internist. I got no guidance from either of the physicians or their staffs. I ended up posting on the Cooking Forum and reading lots of online articles and blogs to come up with an eating plan that kept him within his limits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Recipes for Healthy Living

• daisyinga
    9 years ago

I don't have a cookbook or online resource to recommend, but my husband was diagnosed with diabetes and has done incredibly well changing the way he eats. We both attended nutrition classes and that was a huge help.

Here are some suggestions to help for a couple of weeks:

Find a jarred spaghetti sauce low in carbs. Cook a spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I sautee onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, sometimes zucchini and spinach and put in the sauce. Sometimes I brown ground bison or very low fat ground beef and put in the sauce. Serve with a green salad that has no starchy vegetables. Save the leftover spaghetti squash. Freeze the extra sauce in individual portions.

Look up colleen's slow cooker jambalaya recipe in allrecipes.com. Cook that using chicken andouille sausage. Serve on leftover spaghetti squash with a green salad and another non starchy vegetable. Freeze leftovers.

Make vegetable soup in the crock pot. I use a large bottle of tomato juice, browned ground turkey, cabbage, frozen okra, frozen carrots, frozen green beans, frozen onion/pepper/celery mix. Throw it all in the crock pot and cook. Freeze the leftovers.

Stir fry chicken with taco seasoning and use on a taco salad with lettuce, peppers, tomatoes, etc. Don't eat it with chips, just the salad and a little cheese.

Fish - my husband is supposed to have fish twice a week. Broil, bake, or pan fry fish with a little seasoning, maybe some lemon. Find a seasoning blend without sugar. Serve with steamed broccoli and a salad.

We have a meat, salad, non starchy vegetable, and a starch that is not white every night nearly. The meat is mostly chicken or fish, sometimes bison. Starches are things like a sweet potato, an ear of corn, a cup of beans, or a slice of whole wheat bread.

In the winter the veg is often roasted. Line the baking pan with foil for easy cleanup. Asparagus is super easy, as are Brussel sprouts. I love roasted zucchini. Brush veggies lightly with olive oil, sprinkle a little salt or salt free seasoning and bake.

Portion control is key. We avoid white foods. The meat portions are small.

My husband likes low carb ice cream for his special snack and drinks almond milk. He likes Blue Diamond brand the best. He likes southwestern flavored egg beaters. Omelettes are good for breakfast using egg beaters, sauteed spinach, tomatoes, onions and peppers.

I wish your DD good luck. I know how she feels. I had to figure out what to do quickly for the couple of weeks I was waiting on the nutrition class to begin. It's a lot to process.

• daisyinga
    9 years ago

Sorry, my battery was getting low, had to stop.

I use dark green leafies in my salad, not just iceberg. I cook my green beans with Vidalia onion and low sodium chicken broth for flavor. We use a lot of greens - kale, spinach, collards.

I cook and freeze diabetic friendly soups, chilis and stews in individual portions. I also freeze cooked and seasoned greens and green beans. Arugula, Swiss chard, red spinach and some other lettuce are easy for me to grow and that might be very helpful for him in the future, if he could do that. It's hard to buy fresh lettuce for one without some of it going bad.

Your daughter sounds like a very kind person. Best of luck to her.

• User
    9 years ago

Outside, this is one of my best healthy eating tips for people who still eat red meat in chilis and spaghetti sauces. This method of defatting ground beef was published in the Journal of American Medicine about 20 years ago and we have been following it ever since.....DH grew up on a cattle farm and likes beef...

Brown ground beef in a skillet to render fat. Drain. While still hot/ warm, fill the skillet with very hot water from the sink tap and drain. Repeat this at least once more. Stir the meat in the hot water before draining each time. You will have removed about 97% of the fat in the beef with this method. If you get low fat beef to start with, it will be even lower in fat. Because this hot water washing removes some of the flavor with the gelatinous proteins it washes out also, you may want to reconstitute the lost flavor by sprinkling beef boullion powder over the meat and stirring it in (about 1 tablespoon per pound of meat) or use one small packet of Knorr concentrated beef stock (this is what I do when using the meat right away).

You can make a lot of ground beef and freeze it for chili, spaghetti, tacos, etc. A good way for diabetics to use this meat is as a condiment on salads instead of bread croutons.

Outside, say thank you to your DD from me on behalf of all the people who have elderly family members living alone across the country. She must be a very kind person.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Daisyinga, wow! Thanks for the run-down on all you are doing! You offered some wonderful suggestions. I hope he can go to a nutritionist for some help. DD plans to go with him to his next few appointments. The only issue there is he has a cochlear implant and still has some hearing difficulties, so he needs more demonstration type or written instruction I think. However, I can pass the recipe tips along to DD. And I think he can use a crock pot which would be great!

Bbstx, thanks for the reminder about the American Diabetes Assn link. I'll also make sure DD knows about that one. Sometimes the most obvious things escape your attention, and she has been so busy. She shopped for him yesterday and made him a big pot of taco soup made with ground turkey.

Kswl, you are sweet to say that about DD, and yes, I will pass on your comments. Are your DH and mine brothers? I love your suggestion about adding the bouillon powder or Knorr's to the rinsed ground beef! I have rinsed ground beef often but you are so right, the flavor goes right down the drain. Another great hint I'll pass on to DD. She can cook up a large batch of ground beef for him to use for chili, taco salad, spaghetti, etc as you all have suggested.

Thank you all for responding. As soon as I have a few more minutes, I will go over to the cooking forum and ask for some input over there. I just knew there had been some good souls here who probably had faced this at one time or another.

• User
    9 years ago

I went back to read Daisy's recommendations and see we have the same assessmentof your DD....two GWers are never wrong! Good luck to her!

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GWers are the very BEST! Y'all are so sweet and thanks for saying that! My DD is also my best friend and one of the best nurses you'll ever find in an ER. Love that girl!

• daisyinga
    9 years ago

My husband was badly hurt years ago. Years later I still think of the beautiful, beautiful EMTs, lifeflight staff and emergency room staff and pray a silent thank you. We sent a thank you and a picture of my recovered husband, but I wonder if they realize just how deeply they are appreciated. My children had their father through their high school and now college years thanks to women and men like your daughter. You must be so proud of her.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, daisy! That brings a tear to my eye! Her SO is a paramedic/firefighter, and my 2 DILs are also RNs/nurse-practitioners. Yes, I am so very proud of her in so many ways, and she has returned to school recently to get her Masters-Nurse Practioner degree, most likely in critical care.

She, of course, cannot reveal any detailed patient info, but I hear some of her stories. Yours warms the heart. There are people who send their thanks via cookies, flowers, or notes and those are much appreciated. Those notes do get noticed, at least at her hospital and mean something in their end-of-year rating.

• daisyinga
    9 years ago

I'm so glad for your daughter.

When my husband was hurt I had to leave my 16 year old son to do the first aid so I could go for help. An off duty paramedic must have heard the dispatch of the 911 call and responded. He came flying up in his personal car and took over for my son. My son said that man is the most beautiful sight he's ever seen. We were in a rural area, so a long way from the hospital. I am so very grateful that man stopped having fun on that Labor Day weekend to come save two kids' dad. Hug your daughter's SO and tell him that he is beautiful, the sight of hope for many.

How blessed you are. Sounds like a very giving family. My best thoughts to your daughter as she goes through more training and education. I have family and friends who are firefighters, nurses and nurse practitioners. Such useful people!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    9 years ago

If she is going to appointments with him, I would have her ask about an appointment with a nutritionist, specifically one who has experience with patients in this demographic. There are so many possible variables, whether or not it will be controlled solely with diet or if he will be placed on oral medications, etc, that a nutritionist is an important first step, especially as some people age they have trouble maintaining a decent weight.

• outsideplaying_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the advice, tish.