Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Has anyone used at at home gel nail polish kit?

terezosa / terriks
11 years ago

Sally Hansen has a couple, one uses a polish, the other polish strips, and there are a couple of other brands, like Gelish, which is sold at Sally Beauty Supply, and Red Carpet gel nails, which is sold at Ulta. They all use a UV light to cure the polish and top coat, and it appears that removal can be a bit of an ordeal. My nails look soooo much better when they are polished, but chip within a few days, so if I could get two weeks out of an at home manicure I would be pretty happy.

Comments (7)

• funnygirl
    11 years ago

I've tried the Sally Hansen strips and didn't care for them, in fact returned them to Ulta for a refund. I also use the Red Carpet kit and like it but it only lasts me about a week at which point I peel them off. I have my own uv manicure lamp, and haven't used the one which came w/the kit I purchased.

In addition I use the CND shellac products. It lasts a wk, maybe a little longer, and requires a little more effort to remove.

I'm not sure if it is these products or winter but my nails have become very weak so I'm giving them a break and concentrating on getting them in better condition before using them again.

This post was edited by funnygirl on Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 20:01

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found the Sally Hansen gel polish kit (not the strips) on sale, so I bought it. Will probably try it tonight, and will report back.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

If you are just wanting long lasting nail polish - I recommend Orly's Bonded - just a type of base coat - no curing, etc. - and it works.

tina

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tina. I'll check that out.

• rdquilter
    11 years ago

My daughter wanted this (Thermal Spa 49135 Professional U/V Gel Light Nail Dryer) for Christmas and she has been raving about it. She had had the shellac done a few times as a freebie and wanted to do it herself. She says it lasts her a couple weeks and then peels off easily. I need to try it one of these days!

• no_green_thumb
    10 years ago

Terri ---- have you tried the Sally Hanson gel kit???
    I just did a search and this thread appeared. I had gel nails done for the first time yesterday - so it has been less than 24 hours!! --- but the technician convinced me they would stay on for two weeks.
    I had purchased a gift certificate as part of a nail basket at a fundraiser. I used it to partially pay for a mani/pedi yesterday. I absolutely loved this tech, loved the place --- expect that it is 45 minutes away, so I just can't go there every two weeks. I have tried several other places recently and have not been as happy. Just my luck!
    Anyway, I was just thinking to see if I could do this at home.
    Thanks.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

I'm anxious, too, to hear if it worked or not, Terri. I have my nails done every 3 weeks at my nail salon, French nails done with the gel, and they last the entire 3 weeks. During the Summer I splurge now and then and have a pedi with the gel color in a pale pink. I am incredibly hard on my toenail polish, wearing sandals most of the time and that polish lasts well over 3 weeks. I'd love to be able to save money and do my own toenails.
    Lynn