Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_cakes_gw

under eye circles

patty_cakes
10 years ago

I swear it's worse than lines or wrinkles. Have you had any surgery? Or a product that really works without making you look as though you have more lines? HELP!

Comments (17)

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

I find the circles disappear after 2 weeks of vacation time :)

I did read somewhere recently that if you apply under eye concealer in a triangle down to the edge of your nostril it helps to conceal. I do this and find it makes a bit of difference, but nothing long lasting.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I have always had dark circles and have worn concealer since I was a teenager. I put it on over foundation. I think I've tried every expensive and drug store brand on the market and have never found "the one" in 45 years! Same with foundation...within a few hours both are absorbed and it looks like I'm not wearing anything.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I use mineral makeup and have a lighter shade for concealer and then the skin tone matching shade on top.

I was using the yellow concealer from physicians formula for awhile and it worked good too...

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

I have heard that some of the injectible fillers like juvederm can be used to fill in the area.

• kswl2
    10 years ago

L'Oreal Paris Collagen Micro-Pulse Eye Correction. It's fabulous!

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

OMG Terriks, that just made me shudder thinking about injecting anything that close to eyes. The pain of it, I mean. Ouch!!

DD has dark circles and she hides hers with Bare Minerals, I imagine just the way Annie does. The light out here in New Mexico is so bright and clear that it's very hard for makeup to look natural . . . but this Bare Minerals on her does.

• legomom23
    10 years ago

I've always had dark under eye circles. When my B-12 was tested low and I started supplementing I noticed a big improvement. Do you know if you are b-12 deficient?

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Being I would like something 'more' permanent, I would opt for the botox. I've had it done for the fine lines around the eyes, and the skin is quite sensitive there also~quite a few 'tears' were shed.

Legomom, I don't know about the b12, but i've recently started taking multi vitamins again, but there may be only trace amounts of it, not enough to make a difference. I do need to schedule a dr. appt., so may look into it. Thank you for the suggestion.

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

patty cakes - I'm in the same boat, and think I may have posted a similar question awhile back. My dark circles are genetic, thanks to my fair skin, large, and bad enough that I've recently gotten comments that I look tired, even when I'm not. Coverup can only do so much, and really only works for certain types of discoloration. I've reached the point where I'll want to do something more proactive, but I'm trying to understand what options exist. Here's an interesting article I came across. It's from 2008, so I'm assuming there may be more options now.

Here is a link that might be useful: NYT Article

This post was edited by goldgirl on Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 21:27

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi goldgirl, I think I remember that thread sometime ago, and made my complaint known then also. Like Ms. Pucci, the cost at this point, isn't an issue~I'm 71, and almost anything goes. lol

When I was getting the Botox 2 years ago, I asked about the dark circles, and the dr. told me there was a new treatment, but he wasn't that familiar with it, so wasn't doing it yet. I'm sure by now he's an expert on the technique! I believe it was either the Restylane or Juv'ederm, since those were the only 2 fillers he used. I had a bit of (Restylane)injected for some deeper lines, so I would have to believe there isn't an issue with having an allergic reaction.

Since I'm now in Austin, I'm researching for a new dr., and will definitely be getting the procedure. Ain't no time like the present! ;)

• teacats
    10 years ago

I use a yellow-toned concealer from Physician's Formula on the blue-toned dark circles ... especially around the inner corner of my eye. Just a dot or two -- and then feather in a bit of foundation.

On my red marks on my cheeks and around my nose (sigh ....) I use a green concealer from PF .... again .... a couple of light dots under the foundation ....

Yes. I can say that after MANY years of using this technique -- it really works ...

• StellaMarie
    10 years ago

I just went to my dermatologist and got a peel specifically for around the eyes (it's safe, as scary as it sounds! There's a special applicator). The esthetician said it would diminish dark circles -- one of the acids in the peel breaks up the fluids that pool around the eyes -- *temporarily*. Long-term, it may help to continue to use peels because they do build collagen. Obviously you'd need to keep getting them (same for any filler). No pain or flaking from the eye peel, either.

I believe the brand was Glytone. I just got it done so don't know the results yet. (I'm younger, but very fair, so I've always had darker circles!)

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you StellaMarie! Will get on line and read about the Glytone treatment. Could possibly be an alternative to the injections, although I would think the filler would last longer, as you also said. I just need to find the right dr. ;)

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Bare Minerals has a product called Well Rested that is a yellowish beige circle concealer. I've used that as well as the foundation.

Have you tried Philosophy's Eye Hope or Miracle Worker for Eyes. I've used Eye Hope longer, but started trying the Miracle Worker when I got some in a set. Both claim to reduce dark circles and I feel they have helped me, including last summer and fall -- arguably the hardest 6 months of my life.

If you try a peel, I hope you report back. I might try that, but I'm not game for injections around my eyes. I've lived with dark circles all my life and it seems like damage control is about as good as it gets. .

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Patty-cakes, I don't know if you are 'old enough' for consideration of the eyelid surgery, but DH and I both have the procedure done for droopy lids, and insurance paid for most of it a few years back. When we had it done, the surgeon also lasered my lower lids. I too have had bluish dark circles since I was a teen. I was amazed that the laser surgery did away with almost all of the dark circles. I barely have to use any concealer now. Totally worth it.

• patty_cakes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lascatz, i've not used any of the products, but DD who is only 51, and has *slight* darkness has used all three, the first being the BareMinerals product. She thought it accentuated lines, and did nothing for circles. As for the two Philosophy products, she used one of them for about a month, took it back and got the other one, and doesn't think either one work. She already on to something else, and I suggested we might get a 'twofer' from a dr., once I find one. At the moment I'm sing a concealer by Dermablend.

Outsideplaying, the one thing I don't have are drooping lids, so that's one surgery I won't be having anytime soon. But hey, you were lucky getting a 'twofer'. No concealer? You lucky duck!!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Your circles are the main thing you see in the mirror, and too much time and effort goes into attempting to cover them, achieving unsatisfactory results.
    Does the above resonate with you? There are two wonderful fixes:
    A lower bleph with laser, and or fillers. Find a highly reputable, experienced Opthamologist plastic surgeon. One who specialses in this.
    Both the laser surgery and the fillers are done without anesthesia, and are fairly painless . At this stage of life you deserve to get it done. You will be thrilled.