Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Hey, Dedtired!

My DS just emailed me the listing for the Dorrance property on Monk. Let me know if they have an open house (ha--as if that would ever happen) and I will drive up. We can go together! ;)

Comments (13)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Hi. You know who has been living there? The Burch family. He is the former brother-in-law of Tory Burch. Tory was married to Christopher. I have been to the property a few times. Once on a garden tour and twice for library cocktail parties. The grounds are absolutely amazing. It's more like a little town than one enormous house. Sometimes I take walks down Monk and enjoy the view and the beautiful horses in the field. For a while their son was riding a horse to school each day. that was a sight to see because the horses are huge and you don;t see them on the roads much any more.

I am hoping and praying that the property is not developed. Maybe we can pool our funds and snap it up for a mere $24M (unless it's been reduced).

For others reading this, the Dorrance family are the heirs of the Campbell Soup fortune. My mother went to a family funeral and they had Spaghettios in a silver chafing dish at the reception.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would be happy to go in on this with you, Ded! Plenty of space for both of us. I have $137.50 ready to contribute! ;)

Too funny about the spaghettios!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

After Christmas expenses, I have -$137.50. Oh well, not this year!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

After reading about riding the horse to school and the Spaghettios in a silver chafing dish at the reception, I HAD to see this place! Link below for others who may be curious.

Here is a link that might be useful: For Sale Linden Hill Gladwyne, Pennsylvania 24,500,000

• golddust
    10 years ago

Looks like the perfect project for redux! This Estate could keep her busy for years.

• jshore
    10 years ago

I read this board more than I comment, but I have to comment on this one. We must be neighbors! Not that my house is like that, but I do live in the same town!

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I wonder if they have a designated person to keep the pea gravel raked.

For those of you who might be interested in the young equestrian and his mount here's a link to an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer. And we're not speaking about a Welsh Mountain pony either, Roby is astride a Percheron.

Can you imagine what a driver might think when he's sitting at a stop light and sees this crossing the road at 6:30 in the morning.

I did read where he had to stop riding to school. "Burch told The Philadelphia Inquirer that school trustees decided in October that the horse was a liability. The teen then began keeping Jet at his uncle's house nearby. However, Burch said Jet hurt his hoof from the repeated trips over pavement. Another family horse twice escaped while Burch was in class. Now he's getting a ride from his parents. The 16-year-old hopes to get his driver's license in February."

The first article was printed in Sept, 2010 so Roby should certainly be driving and probably off to college by now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roby and Jet

This post was edited by maire_cate on Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 16:27

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, jshore, lots of Gladwyne folks here, it seems! I moved to VA, but still miss home. No place like it in the world! :)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Roby's father told me that Jet did NOT like going to school all day, so the rides stopped awhile ago. Sometimes I;d see them on their way home, if I was out for a walk.

Hi jshore! Wonder how many times we have passed each other. My house is tiny, about the size of the Burch's chicken coop, but not as fancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Love the article, Ded. I was wondering which school.

• leafy02
    10 years ago

My husband wanted chickens and I vetoed the idea because I knew any coop he came up with would look junky. Now that I've seen the mother of all coops, I'll tell him he's got something to aim for.

Wow! Now that is an estate!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

They are all fancy chickens, no ordinary white or brown ones for them. Seriously, they are very nice people.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

The furnishings are interesting...a mix of old and contemporary and the curved kitchen is unusual.