Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

Bethpen, your house!

bonnieann925
9 years ago

Sorry that your DH is being so stubborn, but mine is exactly the same way, so I can offer no advice there.

Your house is lovely, such a classic New England colonial. It reminds me of my late grandparent's house in NH. The house was built by my great-grandparents in 1900 and was "given" as a wedding gift to my grandparents. My dad grew up there and I spent many, many happy times there as a child. My parents bought a house across the street, which served as a weekend getaway.

Here are some pics of the house:
First, an oil painting that hangs in our FR:
{{gwi:2134729}}

Pics taken on my last visit there (only the second owners after my grandfather sold):
{{gwi:2134730}}
The barn became an antique shop (my grandfather would NOT approve!):
{{gwi:2134731}}

Comments (4)

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Bonnie, it's funny how much your Grandparent's house looks like ours. Where was it in NH? We have a place in Waterville Valley and Waffle cabins at three different ski mountains up there.

In 1988 we got married and bought the two acres of land for our home from DH's parents. We paid full market value, but they sort of pro-rated things so we wouldn't have to start paying for it for a few years.

We made a list of things we wanted in a home. Farmhouse-ish, four bedrooms, master bedroom and bath, separate dining room, first floor laundry. Somehow we managed to pull it off. DH was a bartender, I was a waitress. I was 23. We built the biggest house we could on the smallest budget we could. Several rooms didn't get finished for a while. We've done a lot of work over the years, we've got a good acre of lawn and a lovely pool area. She needs a good kitchen makeover, new flooring and maybe a re-design of the laundry room and main floor bath. There is also a ridiculous deck on the back that DH built 20 years ago that will need to be re-designed and replaced before we sell. It makes me sad to think about leaving here but after a mess of a storm like today, it doesn't seem like a bad idea!

I did not throat punch DH when he came in. He was so proud of his work and so convinced that it needed to be done I couldn't be mad. I guess I'll be nice to him tomorrow.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's in Madison, South of Conway. My maiden name is Nickerson, so my family settled on the Cape. I spent a weekend at the Nickerson Family Association House recently going through the archives, piecing together how my branch ended up in NH. With the help of an archivist and my own family geology book we have recreated the history to some degree. We have a house in Brewster and spend as much time as possible there. We love the Cape!

I adore the style of your house and everything about it!
    What you can't see in the pic I posted is that my GP house has a wrap-around porch. The left side of the house has a back "wing". Your house was built with amenities that my GP could only dream of having, some of which were added over the years (extra baths for example).

Thanks for the walk down memory lane! Don't leave because of one storm. Plot your departure slowly and carefully after looking at all your options.

Hope DH isn't too sore today. Mine is still sleeping, but will never admit to being sore! Men!

• cran
    9 years ago

bonnie your grandparents house is lovely, how luck to have that beautiful water color. My husband's family is from Brewster, since day 1! Probably as long as the Nickerson's. My in laws were friends with the one Nickerson family in Brewster not sure we are talking about the same one, but really had lovely home that is now a resort :~)

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cran,
    Ahhh, Ocean Edge Resort? One of our favorite places for a drink and a bite to eat. Yes, same family-descendants of William Nickerson who founded Chatham.

I feel fortunate to have the watercolor of my grandparent's home. It is a rendering of the house as I remember it. My grandparents housed animals in that barn and I have fond memories of Panda, a pony that I shared with my cousin.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA