Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

Are You Hoarding Lightbulbs?

I have bought several packs of my favorite types but maybe I should just cave in to the oncoming wave.
The question is, will they still look clear, thin, and purty? (about what I want to be!).

Comments (29)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

No, it's just prolonging the inevitable.

• User
    10 years ago

I'm not, but thought about picking up a few of the candelabra ones for my chandelier. The new ones aren't exactly going to look like the puurdy frosted.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Absolutely. I currently have more than 500 of the 60 watt regulars and too many candle bulbs to count. Absolutely hate CFLs, will never put them in my house under any circumstances and I don't like LEDs very much either. But at least they aren't dangerous like CFLs.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

No. There are so many types of lighting options in CFL's and others that you can certainly find something you like. I saw some LED's that might fit our candelabra base pendants at Ikea, but they were out of them. I do have extras of candelabra base, as in maybe 1-2 4-packs.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I'm not but I was thinking about stocking up on the clear ones since there doesn't seem to be a good alternative for those. I've found some CFL and LED that I'm quite happy with for general use. The thing I hated early on was the color of the light wasn't warm not to mention the goofy sizes and shapes. The choices are much better now. I love that I don't have to replace them for years. I have some lights on timers and it seemed like I was constantly replacing the incandescent bulbs. CFL and especially LED seem to last practically forever.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Nope.

• golddust
    10 years ago

No. I love the new LED lights. I love the monthly savings and how seldom I have to change the bulbs. I can pick the color I want my lighting to have.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Thanks for the reminder to make a trip to HD/Lowes! I have several chandeliers with the candelabra bulbs and they just don't look the same with the LED/CFL replacements that are currently available.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yes!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

No, although the cfl's won't work in the light over my front door. The storm door barely clears it and I have yet to find a cfl that will work. In general I don't mind them, but they simply won;t fit in some of my fixtures.

• User
    10 years ago

Absolutely. Have for years.

Just acquired 200 more of 100s and 60s.

Have the LEDS outside, but in my lamps and inside and want incandescent. Old kind.

• User
    10 years ago

Not me! We've been using Cfls since 2005 and have enjoyed their longer life, quieter light and energy savings. Our house has more than 80 can lights so that is quite a savings, and good for the planet as well.

• mrsc
    10 years ago

Yes! I hate the new lights. And they may not be healthy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I did buy up a bunch in the hope that we can survive until they come up with decent alternatives. Kind of ticks me off though as, with our active solar panels, we should be able to have all the incandescence we want.

But more recently we did buy halogen replacements for our island lights which are 30% more efficient and they are dimmable, and they look like incandescents and the color is reasonably warm. So as long as we can find alternatives, we're happy.

The thing is, and many of you in the cold snap may find out, CFLs don't work in the cold. So the biggest issue will be bulbs for exterior lighting.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

Yes. I hate the new lights.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

How much are we really saving on the new lights? They always show savings in years and I'm not sure the actual cost of the light is worth waiting for years.

I have paid some good money to have them burn out in a couple of months. Not sure what the problem is, wrong wattage,etc? Am I the only one with this issue? Have tried learning about them and if there is some (trick) usage procedure to go by.

Right now I think stocking up is a good idea if savings isn't showing 10 to 20 a month. A year or more doesn't win me over. There aren't that many lights used in my life as it is.

And maybe I'm slow and there are other utility companies doing this...but electricity cost is increased here between 4pm and 7. Slow to know, now I put off using electrical appliances during this time. It has definitely cut my bill down during the last few mos.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

I use them at the shop and light anywhere from 20-30 lamps a day. I have been using the same bulbs over and over for years. Love them.

• User
    10 years ago

Nope, not stocking up.

BTW:

Jan. 1, 2014, marks the final stage of the federal governmentâÂÂs mandatory phase-out of the energy-guzzling incandescent bulb. A few types of incandescents are exempt and will still be available, such as the three-way bulb, appliance bulbs, grow lights, black lights, yellow bug lights and infrared lamps.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/12/21/319...#storylink=cpy

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

I wasn't, but thanks for reminding me. I hate the color of the "fake" light. Awwwwwwwful. You cannot convince me otherwise. A pox on society.

Running off to hoard now...

• mary_lu_gw
    10 years ago

Yes! We have vintage ceiling lights and only use the clear bulbs. As mentioned above, no good replacements yet for them that I can find.

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

I'm not hoarding, but my 22 year old son was stocking up on lightbulbs.

I hate to buy lightbulbs. Used to be so simple but now it's so complicated.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

I will be adding to my stash tomorrow.

I have no problem paying more money for the newer, energy efficient bulbs - but so far they've been a disappointment to me. They don't last as long, they seem to lose some of their brightness as they get older, and I have a terrible time figuring out the labels. I want a label that states "this bulb will last 10x as long as your old 60 watt incandescent bulb but will look identical"

• igloochic
    10 years ago

I have cases but didn't realize the date was so close. I will buy all I can find but thank god for reproductions to originals which are still allowed. Expensive yes, but I'd rather take it in the wallet than have those horrible things glaring at me every day in my home.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Nope. Instead, I am trying to learn the lingo of the new bulbs: watts, lumens, and kelvins.

• awm03
    10 years ago

I'm thinking of reverting to candles.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

chijim,
    I am glad to hear that 3 ways are exempt.

As I hit middle age, I now understand how important those are. I hadn't been reading print as much as in the past, until I got a new lamp and a 3 way bulb.

The increased wattage made a big difference.

• vedazu
    10 years ago

Hate the look of the new lights, the delay in lighting after you flick the switch--I have one in a bathroom that literally doesn't get to full power for a full minute. I've been stockpiling for quite a while--and hope that by the time I run out they will have made changes for the better.

• catkin
    10 years ago

CREE LEDs at HD!

• User
    10 years ago

We're slowly changing everything to LED's. We replaced all our can lights with the LED inserts and love them. They come one full blast after just a fraction of a second so there's no waiting forever to see when you enter a room.
    Yes some of the bulbs are ugly, but the ones we've purchased, though expensive, we are very happy with.
    Never got used to the CFLs.