Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddielee49

Someone help me with these pop up ads!!!!

maddielee
9 years ago

I would put bad words in my subject line if I could.

I use iPad Air...the Popups, mostly a picture of a rap singer are getting to me...on every topic I open.

Help! stop the madness. Please.

ML

Comments (18)

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

No help here, but glad you asked. I use an iPad also and have downloaded 2 ad blocker apps with no success. I have phrases that are highlighted in green, and when I scroll, weird ads pop up, including the rapper guy.

• maddielee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Rappers who have killed people" is the exact wording (with a picture) I get each time I click on a thread....GW???? Who are you selling advertising to?

ML

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

YES....I am so sick of seeing Tupac's face!

• polly929
    9 years ago

I'm gonna become the GW member that kills the pop up ad if it doesn't stop. I don't care about rappers who kill people and why GW would think any of would is beyond me.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

I got AdBlocker for iOS at the app store. I think it was only a couple bucks. (I tried the free version first.). Wouldn't use any other browser on any GardenWeb site. Has kept my sanity and enjoyment!!! I ONLY use an iPad. Haven't used any other computer for MONTHS....

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

The free versions are the ones I tried and they haven't worked. So the $2 one works? If it does, I will gladly do it.

• redcurls
    9 years ago

Mine works. I have the iPad 3. There was a small learning curve if I remember correctly. I use the Ad Blocker on about three other websites besides GardenWeb ones. The sites with INTRUSIVE ads. I don't mind ads, per se...just these annoying ones.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I use the Mercury browser (free version) on my ipad and it has a very effective built-in pop-up blocker.

• melsouth
    9 years ago

We live in the black hole of Rural Nowhere and have poor internet, so I do most of my browsing with my iPhone.
    I wish I knew a way to tame these ads.
    I love GW, but these pop-ups are too annoying.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

They are driving me nutso. It has gotten to the point that GW is not as pleasurable a site to browse because of them. I appreciate the need for GW to generate revenue but this is getting ridiculous.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

If memory serves, these over-the-top obnoxious pop up adds have come and gone on this site. Perhaps due to many complaints? Do "they" not understand that they merely make us dislike and blame both gw and the product? Very foolish.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

I just sent GW an email about these ads this morning, not that I think it will do any good. Maybe if more of us complained ... ? I don't even have to scroll over the "green" words to get them. There are times that the site is nearly impossible to read because the ads pop up and stay up so frequently. SO annoying!

• bpath
    9 years ago

At least mine have changed to play station ads. Do you think the advertisers also sell the 2$ ad-blocker?

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

try sending an email here:

tamara@gardenweb.com

maybe if enough of us say something ...

• peegee
    9 years ago

I've gotten so frustrated at times I've just closed out of GW.

• maark23 TX/8a
    9 years ago

I have the same problem, Very annoying.

I went here:

http://www.vibrantmedia.com/whatisIntelliTXT.asp?ipid=17559&cc=us&server=gardenweb.us.intellitxt.com

Then scrolled down a little to where it say "Opt out of vibrant ads" or something like this.. it should take you to this link.

http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/

I hope this works.

This post was edited by Maark23 on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 22:57

• User
    9 years ago

That site worked to opt out of the ads from ten companies, Mark, thank You!

• maddielee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mark, thank you, I hope....after going to the site you wrote about, I think I have opt outed of 96 companies that were advertising. 96!

Hopefully this will continue to work...I did have to allow third party cookies, hope this doesn't open a new can of worms????

Thanks, I do not miss the killer rapper guy.

Edited to say....NEVERMIND!!!! I'm still getting the ads. After checking out 3 threads and seeing zero ads, they were back on the fourth.

ML

This post was edited by maddielee on Sat, Jan 3, 15 at 15:43