Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_ca

Anyone had a septoplasty?

kristine_ca
9 years ago

After years of on and off thinking that allergies were causing DD's chronic stuffiness, we finally had her evaluated by an ENT doctor. He recommended she have a septoplasty to fix her (significantly) deviated septum. I'm curious if any of you out there have had this done? How was the recovery? And was the improvement in breathing worth it?

Comments (6)

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I had this surgery done when I was 19 for the same reasons as your DD. From what I remember, I felt pretty crummy for the first few days, with a headache, sore throat, sore nose, and a dry mouth, as you're forced to be a mouth breather for that first week. After that, I had no complaints and my chronic stuffiness was gone. Aspirin/Tylenol, Chapstick, a constantly refilled glass (with a straw) of ice water . . . And a mom who was there to take care of me and spoil me that first week made my recovery a lot more tolerable. And, yes it was worth it for me.
    Lynn

This post was edited by LynninNM on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 17:53

• jlc712
    9 years ago

Yes, I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction done about 5 years ago. I just had my turbinates redone about a month ago. I have very bad environmental allergies (mold, dust, trees, grasses,etc), and I had broken my nose three times, which gave me a S-shaped septum!!

The septoplasty helped a LOT to open up my nasal passages and make breathing easier. It is definitely worth doing. I could tell a difference immediately after surgery.

The recovery wasn't too bad. My nose was very tender, and there was a lot of yucky drainage. You use saline spray to keep it moist and clean it out. You have the sore throat typical from anesthesia. I went back to work within a few days. Ibuprofen was enough to manage the pain.

My Dr does not use splints or packing after this surgery, but I know some do. I think having those would make it much more miserable. I would ask for some details about that.

Good luck to you and your daughter!

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Unlike Jlc, I had the packing in my nose and I agree, it would have been much easier without it. I hope your DD's surgeon is one who uses a packing-free post-op!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

My DH had it done before I met him, but as an adult. He seemed to think it was worth it, but I don't know a lot more than that about it. I'm sure it's easier and better now than it was then - perhaps more likely to be packing free. I'm sure that would be easier.

• chibimimi
    9 years ago

I had it done 20 years ago -- one of the smartest decisions I've made. Yes, definitely worth it. My recovery was pretty quick and painless, and I could finally breathe through my nose, not my mouth.

My mother-in-law also had hers done and after years of chronic sinus headaches finally found relief.

• kristine_ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The doctor did mention he no longer did packing afterward. I guess that's good, based on what you all have said! And I'm glad to hear the pain was pretty easily controlled. She has been a chronic mouth-breather for some time now, and is looking forward to breathing through her nose!

Any other things to look out for or questions for the Dr?

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz