Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Winter sock it to me time!

Annie Deighnaugh
9 years ago

Looks like those of us in the NE are in for a doozy...they're talking 2-3 feet of snow. Oh boy. Where the heck are we going to put all of that stuff! And here it's been relatively easy so far...I was just thinking the woolly bears had gotten it wrong. Hah! The woolly bears know!

Stay warm and safe everyone, and stay home!

Comments (102)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Safe travels to you nhbasket, and everyone else out there in the path of this storm.

I'm basking in record breaking temps (the high kind) on the west coast.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Oh YAY Carole and Bob! I heard traffic is awful, just go slow and get there safely. Please check in and let us know how it goes.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh my, take a walk down Charles St. and eat in a small place there! It will be lovely, esp. in the snow with no traffic…if anything's open!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We made it! Roads were getting slippery once we hit the Tobin. Now sitting in the hotel restaurant having dinner...and a drink. Or two.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We made it! Roads were getting slippery once we hit the Tobin. Now sitting in the hotel restaurant having dinner...and a drink. Or two.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

We are hunkered down, with plenty of provisions and ready to brave the "monster storm". I left school right at 2:30, meandered along the back roads to home (a 4 mile commute), stopped at a surprisingly quiet and fully restocked Whole Foods for some "storm essentials". The traffic was very heavy, as many people left work early. School has already been cancelled for tomorrow.

Having lived through the Blizzard of '78, when we were all caught off guard by the intensity of the storm, I heed the warnings. We got home safely then, but cut it way too close for comfort!

Carole and Bob, I hope you are almost at your hotel!

Hope everyone stays safe and that Mother Nature isn't too hard on us. Buckle down!

Edit: Glad you made it! Enjoy your dinner!

This post was edited by bonnieann925 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 19:18

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by nhbaskets on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 14:01

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update, NHbaskets. Glad to hear you arrived safely.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, Carole and Bob, so glad you checked in (with us and the hotel)! I was hoping your hotel would be able to accommodate you after all and it looks like it has all worked out and you can relax and drink now.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Carole and Bob.....so glad you got there safely and it all worked out with the hotel.....enjoy the downtime! Thanks for letting us know.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So glad you have arrived safely. Just in time, too!

Hope it all goes well on Wed.

Winds are starting to pick up here on the Cape. Got to take this little, fluffy white Bichon out for a walk. I hope I don't lose her in the snow!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's unclear yet how this storm is going to shake out for us depending on how far west or east the storm meanders...could be anywhere from a foot to 3 feet. So far, I'm thinking we've gotten only 3-4" with a decent amount of wind. I see now that the barometer is just starting to drop. They say that heavier bands of snow are heading our way. I think I'll go to bed and see what we face in the a.m. It's not like I have any choice....accept the things we cannot change...

The a.m. priority will be to get dressed and shovel out the exhaust vent so we can get hot water. Last time we had a major storm, it was buried under 5' of snow as it's in a corner that is great for collecting drifts.

{{gwi:2134686}}

Mtnrd, we have a LP fired generator with an in-ground tank too. DH checked the oil and it just did a test run today so we should be aok. But I doubt we'll need it.

NHB, so glad you arrived safely. I figured hotels would be getting cancellations...lots of churn, as people who were supposed to come in can't make it, and people who were supposed to leave are snowed in.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I'm sitting here intensely watching CNN, as the Weather Channel has some silly, non-informational show on! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you who are anywhere in this storm's path. Having grown up on Michigan's Great Lakes, I still remember those major snow storms. I'm so happy to hear you all are now safe and prepared for whatever comes your way.
    NHB, I am very, very relieved that you've arrived safely! I've been so worried! I'll keep you and your DH in my prayers.
    Tibbie, don't let any nasty old high winds blow you away! Too bad that almost every flight out has been cancelled, as today was sunshiny and 59-degrees here and my guest room is empty, too.
    You are ALL in my thoughts right now. Hunker down and stay safe. Please
    keep us posted. We care!
    Lynn

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

This time of year I'm always tired of the snow. However, while outside today (snowing) I couldn't help but notice the beautiful, perfect snow flakes that were falling. I was admiring them on my gloves. I haven't really 'looked' at snow like that since I was a kid and it was quite amazing.

Nhbaskets - glad you guys made it there safe!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Checking in and so happy to hear that NHB has made it in safely. In our town they just shut off electricity to the houses on the shoreline and many streets off that so that there is no chance of an electrical fire. In 2010 one house had an electrical and two more caught fire due to high winds. I think it's a good idea but the people in the homes are complaining.

• jlc712
    9 years ago

So glad NHB made it safely.

I have two SIL' s in eastern Long Island, about a mile inland, and we are worrying about them!

We usually have lots of snow, and haven't had hardly any this year. So strange. Hope everyone stays safe!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

NHB, Hope you can relax and that all goes well.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Awesome NHB (Carole & Bob)!!!

Is surgery still on schedule?
    As the 1980 AC/DC song goes..."Have a drink on me"!!!

Best of luck "Mr. NHB"!!! :-)

Faron
    (from the Wild-West....Fargo!)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So far, not so bad. I shoveled out to the feeders to feed the birds and it is less powdery than I expected... I was shoveling about 6-10" depending. So it's more of a typical winter storm for us on the western side of the state, except it is very windy. But it is still snowing. Our neighbors to the east are really getting socked though...good thoughts for those folks.

{{gwi:2134687}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Coupled with Saturday's snow, we are pretty well covered, but the blizzard was a bust. So disappointing!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

total non-bust here, mtn. Worse than expected. Check out "Walloped!"

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Not bust here either. Round one of the blizzard is winding down, but there is more to come today.

I am worried about our friends on Cape Cod. Tib, how is it where you are? I heard the harbor was badly hit.

Yayagal, are you in Scituate? I saw people being evacuated people from their homes on the news. What a badly hit area-almost always. Stay safe.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

bonnieann, read the "Walloped!" thread here. I put a couple of pics up.

Also heard about Scituate - to be expected, I suppose. Scituate always floods, right? The started evacuating people at 4:00 this morning, in the Humarock area.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

I'm on the Upper Cape and we've got about 20 inches or so and it is still coming down pretty hard. The wind is the worst of it. DH has been out with the snowblower for about three hours doing half of our stupidly long driveway. We have a friend who will plow for us, but DH wanted to get it set so we can at least get out if we need to. I got a spot cleaned off for the bird food and we've got tons of cardinals and juncos coming in for a snack. Oscar the Frenchie was NOT impressed when I just took him out. Slightly panicked that he couldn't get into the woods to do his business.

We've been in negotiations with each other for a while about selling this place in the next few years. I'm resistant, but honestly this is ridiculous. I certainly couldn't move this amount of snow even if I didn't have a broken arm. The thread about how you feel about your home had me thinking a lot about it this week. This place was my dream home, but maybe it's time to start thinking about some new dreams. Of course, DH wants to move to NH...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Supposedly we got 12". We have a big golden retriever but she eschews snow. And rain. She does not care for wind much either. Or cold. She asks to go out, but then often deigns not to, literally wrinkling her nose at unfavorable conditions. Luckily she is Miss Wonder Bladder.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Supposedly we got 12". We have a big golden retriever but she eschews snow. And rain. She does not care for wind much either. Or cold. She asks to go out, but then often deigns not to, literally wrinkling her nose at unfavorable conditions. Luckily she is Miss Wonder Bladder.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

We're okay although the town is flooded and lots of damage with more to come with 30 foot waves at five. Wind was fierce and now it's moderate but it's a whiteout here. Can barely see the trees.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Well it is 1:17 Tues afternoon and it finally stopped snowing! Not as much as predicted.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

1:29 and still snowing . Wind is finally starting to die down, thank goodness.

What

a

mess.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Our adventure in Boston continues. Just received call from MGH that DHs surgery has been rescheduled to Friday. So, we'll have spent two nights in a hotel (will leave tomorrow morning due to road conditions) only to turn around and come back on Thursday night. UGH!!!

The person who called said that in her 35 years at MGH she had never seen this happen. Guess that makes up for them telling us on Monday morning that surgerys are never cancelled. Think we can send them a bill for our hotel room for 2 nights plus food, gas, doggie daycare, and pain and suffering?

At least we are warm and safe.

• deegw
    9 years ago

nhbaskets - I was afraid that was going to happen. Even though it's a pain, I think I'd rather be inconvenienced than have surgery with a skeleton staff. Here is hoping the rest of the week is adventure free.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I think I would almost stay put for the extra night rather than going back and forth. Are you bored yet? LOL

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Another duplicate. Sorry!

This post was edited by nhbaskets on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 14:29

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Tina, one is never bored when alcohol is involved!

This was taken earlier today when we ventured over to MGH for some fine dining.
    {{gwi:2134688}}

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Omg nh baskets! That's crazy. Good luck driving!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

NHB, I think I'd stay put too! But I do understand your desire to drive home and come back Thursday if it's possible to do so. I just wouldn't want to if I could avoid it. Sorry for all your delays, but then, like you said, alcohol is involved, so why worry about being bored.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh if you can swing the extra days in Boston, do so and enjoy it...it's such a fun city.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Um….the Sox cap should be a Pats cap.

Tsk, tsk.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Carole, stay put if you can.

Maniac husband is still outside. The snow is coming down harder than ever and blowing sideways. At this point I feel like he's being reckless and dumb. I sort of want to throat punch him. At one point DS had to run out and make sure he was Ok..he was at the end of one of the driveways.

This photo is from this morning. The snow is now up around my poor Saint Francis Statue's head.

So tomorrow when he can barely move because he is so sore am I supposed to be nice to him?

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

First off, Tibbrix, he only wore the Sox hat to go out in the storm. The Pats baseball hat is for inside and fair weather. :)

We've made the decision to stay put in Boston. So glad we can now enjoy the next two days knowing our house is intact, our kids are all safe, and our Bingo is living it up at doggie spa.

The MA Governor has just lifted the driving ban effective midnight. I think the Boston Mayor still has a ban in effect going into tomorrow. From speaking with everyone at home, it's still snowing and the wind continues to howl. Schools have been cancelled again for tomorrow. I think Boston is a good place to be.

Stay safe and warm! Carole and Bob

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yowzah, we're getting socked again! This one is a real mess, worse than the recent blizzard in that it is snowing heavily with it piling up quickly. With the wind blowing, and drifting so high, we won't have hot water until we get out and clear away the heater vents. Worse, it will be topped with sleet and freezing rain which will make clean up very difficult. Then whatever we don't clean up today won't get cleaned up as it will be freezing solid... tonight it's supposed to be near zero.

OK, I'm ready for spring now!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Yeah Annie, this is going to get ugly here on the coast. We got a couple inches overnight and it looks like now it is turning to sleet/rain. School is cancelled again, but DS doesn't mind as he won't have to make it up because he is a senior. I know a lot of young moms are really having a hard time after having the kids home most of last week.

I picked a good winter to break an elbow...no shoveling for me!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

So glad DH was discharged from MGH yesterday afternoon! We are expected to get ~12". Very fine, wind-blown snow this morning. DS left for work (1 hour drive) but turned around and came home. Hoping visiting nurses can get here today!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

So glad he got home, NH, for both the game and the weather.

Only about an inch of snow here, but it has just now turned to rain and will be followed by single-digit temps tonight, os it's all gonna turn to ice. The worst.

And too cold for fires in the fireplace. Sigh. Fortunately it was warm enough last night for one during the game.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just came in from cleaning up the snow before it got laden with water from the sleet and freezing rain...good thing we did. We were cleaning up about 10". And it started raining just as we were finishing up. It's supposed to end tonight with more snow. But we left a skim coat of snow on the walks and drive so it shouldn't turn to glare ice...just get crunchy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So we had so much more snow yesterday afternoon, that we have to shovel again. I think it was coming down at 1-2" per hour!

Well, at least today will be nice and sunny if bitter cold. Of course there will be more snow tomorrow, thurs, sat, and monday. Yum.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I would lose. my. mind!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Me too, tina! A couple of snow days is kinda fun for us Southerners, but a couple of weeks would drive me nuts! So sorry you folks are having to endure another round. Stay safe (and sane) my friends!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

outside, give me snow over humidity any day! It really is the humidity!

I'd say the equivalent misery to southern humidity is ice. Love snow. Hate ice.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much snow to look forward to! In addition to snow tomorrow, Thursday, they are now talking snow starting Sat night and going straight through til Tuesday a.m. Really?!?

And when it's not snowing, we're getting arctic blasts...expect below zero temps...

Wake me when it's April!