Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What auto insurance company do you have and like?

TxMarti
10 years ago

It's time for an insurance evaluation here and I'm thinking of switching companies. I keep getting flyers from geico with a much better rate than I have with Safeco. I've never had an auto claim with Safeco, but did with the house and they were great. I wonder how geico is with claims though.

I'd like to know if there is an auto insurance company you have with good rates and good with a claim. My rates have gone up a lot since I first bought insurance from Safeco, but my neighbor's insurance with same company has just gone up a little each year. We've both had the same cars and no claims the whole time.

Comments (14)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Amica was what I had before I married DH2 and now I have USAA. Always liked Amica-got a dividend back every year. USAA was the best, but just lately, I have not been quite as happy as in the past. Still, it is one of the best, but I think you need to have been a member of the military or related (DH was an AF pilot back in the 60s-70s) in order to buy it.

• lucillle
    10 years ago

I love State Farm, have had the same insurance office for I think 30 years. The rates are good (I have them for homeowner's as well) and they excel at handling everything quickly and efficiently.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

We've had Geico for years, sadly we have had claims.

We've had no problems with Geico's coverage when a claim was necessary.

ML

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My dad was in the army, but I doubt I could get USAA because of that.

I just talked to my Safeco agent and he said homeowner's is going to go up too and they are changing some things and getting picky about things too. *groan*

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

We have Amica and had USAA. I think both have good customer service. The only reason we left USAA had to do with our specific needs and desire to stay all with one company. I think if your dad was in the army you could have USAA - my husband's dad served in Vietnam and that is how we have access to USAA.

As an aside, any time I switch insurer's my rates go down quite a bit, which I find disturbing.... do they just raise rates more the longer you are with them??

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

We also should shop around. We have Nationwide for auto and home, and DH says our premium seems to be high for home.

We have good driving records, but I have had multiple claims for windshields on one car, and we had no problems at all when we had hail damage on our roof. They cut us a check immediately.

We also would qualify for USAA based on our fathers' service. Recently I read they do not cover rental cars for business purposes so you might want to check into that.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

I've had State Farm for about 35 years and have always been satisfied. We seem to get a quantity discount along with the accident free, etc. we have a lot of insurance through State Farm.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

We have USAA for home and auto. We had one car claim and I simply called them and they took care of everything and my rate did not go up (I was at fault). Before them we had Farmer's and they were great with a claim (not our fault) but the rates went up too much and we saved a lot by switching to USAA. I think that I when it is up for renewal next October I may check around just to be sure we are still getting a good rate but we have been pretty happy so far.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

We have Farm Bureau and have had great service and no complaints. We have had two roofs replaced due to hail damage and our rates did not increase significantly. We have auto, home owners, a life insurance policy, boat and camper insurance with FB. We do get a discount for having several policies with them. Rates are good, as is service and coverage.

tina

• dedtired
    10 years ago

State Farm for home and auto. I've had a couple claims on the car over the years, not much. I am satisfied with them as far as service but have not shopped around for rates.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

We have Ameriprise-got it thru Costco. We have really, really good coverage and when we recently had a HO claim, we were treated exceptionally well. No rise in our rates, either.

Our policies just renewed, and our auto went down a bit.

We were with American Family for many years, and when we switched to Ameriprise our HOI went down nearly 30% and our auto nearly 25%-even with a significant upgrade in coverage. We did have several claims with AmFam auto-none were our fault, but we did have to claim against our policy when I was in a bad accident (we had more coverage than the party that hit me). I was expecting them to raise our rates or drop us, but they didn't. So they did have that in their favor. We've not had any claims on auto with Ameriprise.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

We have USAA for both auto and home insurance. They have been fantastic. We've had to make claims for both auto and home and their service was quick and easy. During the "derecho" storm, we had a lot of damage due to a tree hitting the house as well as loss of power. They immediately deposited money into our account to cover the loss of food in our freezer (we didn't even ask them to, but when dh was going over the claim for the tree damage, they asked if we lost power too and said they'd cover the loss of food also). Our car insurance is incredibly reasonable - it did go up very slightly once but only after the SECOND fender bender dh had in less than a year. The increase was barely noticeable. In addition, we get a dividend check back from them at the end of the year. This year it was over $200 though it's usually around $125. $200 is about what we'd pay for two months' of premiums (on house and car together) so that was a nice surprise.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

We have Amica for house insurance and Electric insurance for our cars. Both are very good.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

We've has USAA forever for auto, home, and our MasterCard, as well. DH was in the military before we married and has been with USAA that long. We've had a couple of minor claims, but no rate increases because of them. We have been completely happy with them and can't imagine ever changing insurance companies. In my opinion, their customer service is outstanding. I honestly believe that the folks that work for USAA go out of their way to put a personal face on their company and that they really care about their customers. At least, this is my impression after 32 years+ with them.
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 18:42