Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_thrifty

frumpy or not

ms-thrifty
10 years ago

Opinions on these dresses with jackets-frumpy or not?

Comments (14)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

With an umbrella and a satchel, I think it could go Mary Poppins.

It's really up to you. If you are 24, yes it is frumpy. If you are 80, no it is not frumpy. And if you feel comfortable and look good in it, and wear it with panache, it could even work in between.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

It only looks appropriate for the grandmother of the bride....if that is the looks you are going for, its a pretty outfil.

ML

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

what mtnrd said. I completely agree. And depends on body shape and tone.

• deegw
    10 years ago

I don't think it's bad but we need to know more info. What s the occasion? What is your approximate age and body shape? Details please. :) As Annie can attest, we all love to give wardrobe advice.

• ms-thrifty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am not thinking of purchasing anything like this Just trying to get a handle on frumpy. I am recalling there seemed to be a lot of frumpy in the early 90's. This was, at least I think , before the term frumpy.
    Also recalling when jeans were just jeans-then someone came up with grandma jeans,,then mom jeans more recently. I just thought it meant anything that came up to waist. so I tried all those not your daughters jeans, etc. They never fit-could never find anything that was small enough in in the thighs or rear. Then I read it whs if the back pockets were too high, which was supposed to make buts look too big.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Some good examples of frumpy clothes...anything that doesn't show you have a feminine shape...anything that makes you look bigger than you actually are...anything that looks like you haven't been shopping in 20 years...anything that makes your foot look like it's in an orthopedic shoe....anything that looks like you were in a flood or that your clothes shrank...any outfit which says "I don't give a s**t how I look" including pajamas and slippers as street wear.

Perhaps most important, anything that doesn't fit.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Cracking up at mtrd's Mary Poppins comment.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

My SIL looks just like the woman in the bottomcenter photo. She has worn that same type of outfit every day for the last 25 years. I dont know where she even finds white washed, high waisted, tapered jeans any more. Her hair is still blond, permed too. She owns one dress, from 1992. Love her dearly, but she is the epitome of frump.

The pictured dress...defintely shouts conservative MOB.

• neetsiepie
    10 years ago

My SIL looks just like the woman in the bottomcenter photo. She has worn that same type of outfit every day for the last 25 years. I dont know where she even finds white washed, high waisted, tapered jeans any more. Her hair is still blond, permed too. She owns one dress, from 1992. Love her dearly, but she is the epitome of frump.

The pictured dress...defintely shouts conservative MOB.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

It's all about keeping up with current styles, not what was.

Mom jeans are thus not because they were out of style at the time but because current moms still wear them. Same with all the other looks.

So, frumpy is always changing! :-)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

My old boss dresses like picture 1 with the green skirt or whatever that is. She is 63 and her favorite blouse was black and white checked with butterfly appliques all over. One time we were meeting our new director and she had the nerve to tell all of us how to dress for the meeting, then she showed up looking like a bag lady!

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

oh cwap! That looks like one of the dresses for the mother of the bride that I saw on the Nordstroms website. I was considering something like that for my DDs wedding this May. I have only looked online and not gone dress shopping yet. oh well.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

and I am not offended, just a new perspective for me to consider!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

I guess from this post I learned I'm just frumpy. I wear jeans and just a shirt top most of the time and that to me looks like what a lot of the pictures show.

I don't think the jacket and dress shown is frumpy either for a mature woman. For a 20's or teen yes.

At least I now have a name for my style - frumpy style or maybe in Mary Poppins style it should be frumpelicious.