Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Favorite Light Recipes?

mtnrdredux_gw
10 years ago

Our January cooking club is always a light menu.

The fact is, I usually take light dishes to our meetings anyway. Baked Samosas on Indian night, Mango black bean salad on Latin night, Portobello and roasted pepper almond puree on sandwich night, etc etc. So I am actually out of favorite light recipes.

Any ideas? Other people are doing salads so Id rather not. And I'm allergic to shellfish.

thanks in advance

Comments (19)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Does "light" mean no meat? low fat? low cal? low carb?

If you don't want a salad, can you do a light dessert like angel food cake with macerated fruit?

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

How about a vegetable chili? Roasted veggies? I make vegetable chili to have on hand for my winter lunch because salads just don't do it for me at this time of year. Very simple ingredients: diced zucchini, yellow and red peppers, onions, canned petite-diced tomatoes, black beans and/or kidney or other types of beans. Some chili powder and cumin. For roasted veggies, I often make a combination of the same veggies I use in the chili, or you could do broccoli and/or cauliflower -- there are lots of recipes online.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annie, "light" means low calorie.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Summer rolls, you can use grilled chicken instead of shrimp. They are tricky to make but I love them. The insides can vary, but I like rice noodles, napa cabbage, red pepper, grated carrot, green onion, fresh herbs ( I usually use a basil) water chestnut and a protein. Serve with a dipping sauce.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hmm, do you have a recipe Bumble? Do you use wonton wrappers?

• teacats
    10 years ago

Maybe a light version of a vegetable soup -- like minestrone? Maybe a soup like chicken, veggies and wild rice? No real recipes -- but do check out YouTube for ideas .....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I just made a vegetarian chili for my party similar to sueb's, but I add unsweetened cocoa powder which adds incredible flavor and meatiness so the meat is never missed.

• teacats
    10 years ago

Excellent YouTube channel --- this gal is Joe Ruggiero's daughter (he was on HGTV for years!)

I just LOVE her videos -- especially her Full Party (recipes and timetable too!) ones!

Here is a link that might be useful: recipe for minestrone soup

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Rice papers! I buy them at Whole Foods. I will look for a recipe.
    Also, skewers of grilled protein ( I typically use chicken breast) red/yellow/orange peppers, pineapple, onion, and whatever veggies appeal; such as mushrooms, zucchini, etc. and grill. Brush with a teriyaki sauce like Soy Vey first. Wildly popular.

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

If you would consider bringing a dip with crusty bread, this Fiery Carrot Dip recipe from Food & Wine (2004) is excellent. It was shared with me several years ago and I have shared and shared again. Easy to make and always a big hit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiery Carrot Dip

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

Annie - DH is the chili creator in my home and unsweetened cocoa powder is his secret ingredient too. It does adds a depth of flavor to the dish.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Lettuce Wraps

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

Turkish red lentil kofte. To make them gluten free, I make them with millet instead of bulghur. I serve with a yogurt sauce made with lemon juice, garlic and mint. They are beautiful on the plate, flavorful and somewhat unusual. They are also good served at room temperature so great for potlucks, etc.

Another idea would be a dip made with roasted eggplant, red peppers, onions and garlic, all chopped fine. Add in olive oil, chopped walnuts and plenty of parsley, a dash of vinegar and serve with pita bread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red lentile kofte

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    10 years ago

This is a delicious light recipe. The first time I made it, I followed the directions but the boneless chicken breasts came out dry. The next time I used bone in, skin on breasts, poached them in the sauce, took them out and took the meat from the skin and bones and added the shredded meat back to the sauce.

I also subbed chili powder for the cayenne pepper. Also, rinse and drain the black beans.

Serve on rice. Garnishes: shredded cheese, scallions, fresh cilantro, chopped avocado, light sour cream, lime wedges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skinnytaste Santa Fe Chicken

This post was edited by seagrass on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:32

• camlan
    10 years ago

I'll second tishtosh's suggestion of the red lentil kofte. You can make it with brown lentils; it just won't look as pretty.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I make that Santa Fe Chicken all the time. I like crockpot meals so I am not scrambling when I get home from work!

Another of my favorites are the Cooking Light Stuffed Peppers. Yummy! I make per the recipe but add mushrooms (because everything is better with mushrooms). My skinny husband who can eat whatever he wants and not gain an ounce even likes them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuffed Peppers

• kfca37
    10 years ago

My favorite quick light recipe is to sauté small pieces of chicken breast in curry powder until golden, add a little water & a good quality sweet mustard to make a thick "gravy", along with some mango pieces, cashew nuts, & some more curry powder. I usually serve over rice, but purchased & heated naan would also work.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Fresh Thai Spring Rolls with Tofu and peppermint. You need a dipping sauce like sweet chili pepper they are easy to make ahead with rice paper.