Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

would anyone on here own

Lyban zone 4
10 years ago

a waffle maker. I know this is not a do or die question but I have never owned one and am thinking of it.
Any recommendations. thanks

Comments (21)

• bestyears
    10 years ago

Yes, we have the Waring FlipSide Belgian Waffle maker, and love it. We got it after using one on vacation at a Hampton Inn or something. We probably only use it once per month or so. It makes 100% perfect waffles, from scratch or a mix, every time.

• User
    10 years ago

I have the Waring waffle maker that flips over too. I don't care for waffles but my kids do and this waffle maker is great! Have had it for years and it still works perfectly.

• legomom23
    10 years ago

We have the Calphalon no peek waffle maker and probably use it 5 mornings a week. No problems with the product and my son loves the waffles!
    It's really a lot faster and easier to make waffles than pancakes I think.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    10 years ago

We like waffles. I actually have 2 waffle makers for our family of 6, they are both Krups and do a good job. One thing to figure out is how much batter it holds and write that down (sawy 1/4 cup for each square or whatever) and then use the appropriate sized measuring cup to get good fill without overfilling.

What I hate about waffles is cleaning the d**** things which is why we do not have waffles as often as the kids would like.

• jlj48
    10 years ago

I have an individual waffle maker, makes Belgium waffles. LOVE IT. Use it a lot. Never really clean it. I wipe it down after using it with a damp clean rag. That's about it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    10 years ago

Decide first if you want a Belgian or regular waffle maker. I have both and they do have different textural aspects but I like them equally.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

We love our waffle maker and have used it at least once a week for about 15 years. If you get one, I'll send you a great waffle recipe.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is the difference between Belgium and regular waffles? Who knew there was a difference?

Daisychain., I would love your recipe. Thanks.

I am going to buy one , just a matter of which one.

• User
    10 years ago

The Belgian waffles are very thick -- a couple of inches thick -- while regular waffles are thin.

• polly929
    10 years ago

We have an inexpensive Hamilton beach one. Works great and my kids love the waffles.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

Waffles (regular)

1 and 1/4 cup flour
    2 tsp baking pwder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 and 1/4 cup milk
    5 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 egg yolks
    2 egg whites beaten stiff

-combine the first 4 ingredients
    -beat the milk egg yolks and oil together
    -add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined
    -fold in beaten egg whites

I sometimes get lazy and just add the whole eggs and skip the beaten whites part. Not quite as fluffy, but still pretty good (my family doesn't seem to notice a difference at all).

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post recipe daisychain.
    I have filed it in my recipes for when mine is ordered.

• luckygal
    10 years ago

I love my Black and Decker Sweetheart Waffle Maker. It makes 4 heart shaped waffles and is non-stick so cleans up easily. My Grands love the shape and they are a nice size for desserts also. Recently made dessert chocolate waffles with cherry sauce and whipped cream for guests which were a hit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetheart Waffle Maker

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I have 12 really fancy waffle irons...my husband and I own three Waffle Cabins at NH ski mountains. Last Saturday I sold 437 Belgian sugar waffles!

We make Liege Waffles, which are a yeast dough with pearl sugar inside. They are delicious. Definitely a lot more work than batter, I think they're worth the effort. I found this recipe that looks the most like the ones that we sell. (we get ours from the Waffle Cabin franchise).

Good luck with your experiments!

Beth P.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liege Waffles

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beth,

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of Liege Waffles but now I am anxious to give them a try.

I am sure that my grand daughter is going to love them.

Amazing the info that is on this forum, everytime I am on here I learn something new.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

We have the Sweetheart waffle maker at home and a larger Breville at our vacation place. They are both easy to clean. Just spray a little Pam before the first waffle and then wipe off when you're done.

You might want to consider how many people you will usually be serving when you select one. The little Sweetheart makes 1 waffle - when my DD was little she'd eat half, freeze the other half and then pop it into the toaster when she got home from school. Now that she's older she eat the entire waffle.

If you think you'll be serving several people remember you can only make one at a time so you might want to check how many waffles it can make each time.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I don't have one, but when I cruise the local Goodwill stores, I often see them there for sale.

• funkyart
    10 years ago

I've had a few-- the villaware belgian waffle maker and the all clad belgian waffle maker. Both were great but I think i preferred the villaware for a consistent good brown crust.

I dont make waffles for myself-- but they are always a hit with overnight guests!

• ILoveRed
    10 years ago

Waring. We are on our third one. The quality has gone down but we still love this brand. My boys think it's fun.

Very cool Beth!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Speaking of VillaWare...Pricey, but built like a battleship. I got one just like this, but square, last year on Craigslist for $20.00.
    We just had waffles with Maine made maple syrup last week!

Here is a link that might be useful: VillaWare V2004 UNO Classic Round Waffle Maker Waffler, Professional Quality

• jlj48
    10 years ago

I just saw online a suggestion to make perfect shoestring hashbrowns in a waffle maker! I thought that was genius! I always have trouble frying hashbrowns and getting them to turn out well.