Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanew

Advise for California trip, please

cran
9 years ago

My husband and I are planning a trip to CA end of March. Visiting our son in Huntington Beach at the tail end of the trip. Planning on flying from Boston to San Francisco spending the night then driving to wine country. We heard that Healdsburg is nice, along with Sonoma. We can stay 3 nights before heading back to SF then fly to HB. Would love suggestions as to what to do, where to go and where to stay. We really are clueless and need advice. Thank you all.

Comments (27)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I think Sonoma is still recovering some from some earthquake damage? Not sure p. I was there for lunch once , lovely little square , very charming

I've been to auberge du Soleil in Napa which is lovely and great food but I can't comment much on wine tours ... The reason most people go I think ...because I'm not much of an oenophile . The spa services are wonderful though I was personally disappointed in the mud bath⦠It's not nearly as muddy as it sounds.

If you haven't been to San Francisco definitely do the usualâ¦ferry ride to Sausalito and lunch⦠drive to Muir Woods and point reyes ...Cable car rides⦠we went to Alcatraz for my son but ended up all enjoying it very much, including getting a great picnic at the market at the ferry terminal. Museum of contemporary Art, I think it was contemporary⦠Was great

Theres a nice hotel in Pacific Heights that I like that's the kind of away from the more touristy areas called the Drisco. Sort of homey.

By the way I think jet blue fliesfrom Boston to San Francisco. I think they even offer their new Mint service⦠Flatbeds on that route. Maybe not worth it for the outbound but if you take a redeye on the returnâ¦

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

What a great place to visit-one of our favorites! In San Francisco we have stayed at the Hilton in Union Square, nice location, no need for a car when in SF (although DH always insists on renting one and paying for parking at the hotel).

To do:
    Fisherman's Wharf for dinner
    Cable cars-great way to see the city
    Lombard Street
    China Town
    Coit Tower (we always climb to the top)
    Japanese Tea Garden in the Golden Gate Park at departure
    Muir Woods (as Mtn mentioned) on your way out of the city

Rent a car and drive up to Sonoma We like B+B's in Napa and Sonoma, but have stayed in chain hotels when traveling with our foodie/wine group. To keep your options open you may choose to stay in Santa Rosa (Best Western Garden Inn is a place our wine group has stayed in) in Sonoma.

Our last visit there was 2 years ago and we took DD and her boyfriend. We flew from Boston to LA with our DD, our first leg of the trip. We did all the touristy things in LA with her (her first trip to CA). Her BF joined us in SF and we drove up to wine country. Having been there a few times, we let them choose the vineyards (well, some of them! They chose Del Dotto, which we named Del Blotto-$60 per person and heavy pours-not our style!) and we made reservations ahead for the ones that required them.

If you stay in Santa Rosa, you can easily reach both Napa (places we have liked: Cakebread Cellars, Beringer is nice, Coppola is nice but a bit pricey. Napa has become very commercialized and crowded. Plan a stop or two then move on!

In Sonoma we love Michele Sclumberger-not to be missed, Korbel, Heartford, Dry Creek-nice spot to site out and have lunch, Chateau St. Jean (a member of our wine group had a wedding there). Where you go will depend on your love of wine. Chateau Sovereign in Sonoma is a great spot for lunch. With over 400 wineries, YMMV! Be prepared to pay a tasting fee (up to $60 p/p) so plan accordingly. Almost all vineyards are charging a "reasonable fee"-$10 pp.

Have fun, enjoy and relax!

• cran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, mtnr for the good info We have enjoyed a few visits to SFran and have been to the places you mentioned. We usually stay at the Renaissance in Union Sq. I hope Jet blue is the way to go even though I haven't looked into the flights yet.
    Thanks bonnie, The info about Sonoma is great. I will look into Santa Rosa. I thought that Napa is getting very crowded and had heard that Healdsburg is beautiful For us the wine is almost secondary. Even though my husband would love Coppola for sure. How wonderful to be able to go to a wedding at the Chateau St, Jean sounds like the tasting fees could run a bit high. Are you from the Boston area?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would try to get out to the coast. When I lived in the Sacramento area, my favorite day trip was to Bodega Bay to the tide pools. The north coast is very different than Cape Cod and southern California. I think you can do Napa Valley in one day.

• kelpmermaid
    9 years ago

Not your plan, but you could also drive south along the coast, visit Hearst Castle, see the elephant seals in the area, shop the galleries in Cambria, and do some serious wine tasting around Paso Robles, San Luis Obsipo, and the Edna Valley. March can still be cool, though.

• Fori
    9 years ago

If a storm isn't inbound, take a detour to Yosemite if you haven't been. In March it should still be snowy but much of it passable. Much less crowded and much prettier than the tourist season. Depending on how the winter goes, you might hit the Central Valley when the nuts and fruit trees are in bloom and that makes the slog to Yosemite pretty fabulous.

• maddie260
    9 years ago

Healdsburg is wonderful, and has fabulous wineries and restaurants. I would skip Napa-Sonoma for Healdsburg and do my research on the wineries there. Three nights in Healdsburg or the Napa-Sonoma valley is probably too much. Spend some time in Stinson Beach or Point Reyes. Yosemite- there are not enough words to describe how beautiful it is! Stay at the Evergreen Lodge if you can't get accommodations in Yosemite valley (even if you can- it's that great!) and go from there.

• cran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is why I love this forum, so many great suggestions!

May thanks for the tips on Bodega Bay and the tide pools.
    We were wondering how much time we needed in Napa.

Kelp we originally considering that trip along the coast, it does sound nice.

fori Yosemite is in the future, hoping that perhaps our son and sig. other can work it into their schedules.

Marya like the info about Healdsburg and the timeline. DH and I think we need to configure the trip.:~)

I am keeping list of all of the ideas and tips, if not this trip there is always next year!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I know there is so much information out there, but word of mouth is the best.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

As I recall, I once took a jet blue direct flight to Long Beach...so much nicer than dealing with LAX and the traffic and all...don't know if that might work for your return.

Yes to the usual...Lombard St, Fisherman's wharf, Alcatraz was very neat. For great shots of SF, check out Treasure Island and there's Vista Point on the north side of the golden gate. Also the Presido is something to see. And of course the beach and the ocean. The Golden Gate Park is fab with all kinds of museums and gardens and things. Muir woods is beautiful, and we went to the Krug winery. Riding the cable car is fun once or twice, but if it's busy, there are bus routes that go the same way with no line or waiting. I haven't stayed in town in too many decades so I wouldn't recommend a hotel...but do have fond memories of many visits there.

• GaryFx
    9 years ago

For Boston to SF, consider Virgin America.

Personally, I prefer Monterrey and other areas south of SF to Napa and points north, but to each their own. Of course, you could just stay in SF proper without getting bored. We did a Segue tour, among other things, last time.

While Yosemite is beautiful, I don't think people need to fly from Boston in March out to SF and then drive to Yosemite just to see snow. I can see that out my front window.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Cran, yes, we are in the Boston area. I'll second the suggestions to drive the coast road, stop at Monterrey, go inland to Hearst Castle. My suggestions were based on your original inquiry. But since you are open the suggestions, there are numerous ways to reconfigure. As you mentioned, there's always next year. My suggestion is to try to enjoy SF, chose a spot or two in wine country and relax. In 3 nights you simply can't do it all, but no matter what you choose, you can't go wrong, IMO!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

I'm in O.C. and have lived in Monterey. You've been to S.F. , but have you driven the coast, and seen Big Sur? If not, here is my itinerary for you.
    Arrive early . Easy with time change. Get off the plane and into your rental car, and head for Carmel . Stay at a b&b in the charming village or at the lodge. ( exact name?), or...great lodgings abound. Relax, recoup, or take off for twilight drive around the Monterey peninsula's 17 mile drive. Breathtakingly beautiful.
    Next day, back onto highway one. Big Sur awaits. Have breakfast, or coffee at Nepenthes, a famous ocean-over look ,casual restaurant ( author Henry Miller's old haunt).
    Santa Barbara is next. Shop, stroll? Your real destination is lunch or early dinner(?) at the lovely San Ysidro Ranch, where the Kennedy's ( Jack) honeymooned. Peacefully lovely.
    Back in the car, you're about 4-5 hours from H.Beach.
    Save Napa and wineries for another trip, but do not miss this chance to experience a memory making journey.

9 years ago

Oops, here's one pic. It's the 17 mile drive, Monterey.

9 years ago

Here is one of Big Sur. ( no cars that day due to a marathon) Google for other images, Also look at Nepenthe's.

9 years ago

Here is Pic of San Ysidro Ranch, near Santa Barbara.
    Sure wish I could post several pics at once....ah well.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

As a native Southern Californian, I second martinca's itinerary. It's a drive we took many times and each time it was magical. We would fly into SF and drive back to LA on Highway 101 (I think it's 101).

martinca, I have the same pic of San Ysidro Ranch except I am in it on horseback. I love that place.

Oh, and you should drive through Solvang and Los Olivos which are about 30 minutes from Santa Barbara. It's touristy but worth it (Los Olivos not so touristy).

• suero
    9 years ago

If you like jazz and you're driving in the Bay Area, tune the radio to KCSM 91.1.

• cran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Marlene and Martinca, the itineray sounds lovely and the pics are beautiful. We have been to S.B. and would love to visit again. It is great to have the names of B&B's and restaurants, especially with histories. I think that I would like do that. We did do a wine tour one year when we were in SF, and it really wasn't all that great it was a bus tour! Last year we did SD and up the coast to HB which is beautiful stopped at Torrey Pines for lunch LOVE that. We had a beautiful visit to Catalina. We have friends that own a hotel there and they take us to all the good spots. For two years the whole family went to Mexico and rented a house, that was at least 10 years ago. My son doesn't feel its safe any more and is very nervous about crossing the border. Thank you so much for all the good advise. You girls must love living in CA it really is a wonderful life style.

Thanks Gary Annie and bonnie for all you help. I'll keep you posted on the final travel plans.

• withoutanh
    9 years ago

If you decide to travel south instead of north of SF, you might consider flying into San Jose instead. You will save an hour (or more, depending on the time of day) of freeway driving.

The photos of Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur don't begin to show the area's true beauty. I also recommend Nepenthe for lunch or drinks/apps. The view is spectacular, so plan a daylight visit. If you take Hwy 1 south, be sure not to miss Point Lobos either.

Depending on time, Hearst Castle is amazing/interesting/insert adjective as is visiting the elephant seals a bit farther south. The coastal town of Cambria is lovely, has good restaurants and lots of galleries. If you are staying overnight, look for something along Moonstone Beach. From there, you travel inland to Paso Robles area and Hwy 101.

There is a lot of excellent wine tasting from Paso Robles south (think the movie Sideways). We always have lunch at Andersen's Pea Soup, a local institution.

Since you are familiar w/SB and south, I won't continue. The trip from San Jose to Santa Barbara is one of my favorites; I hope you decide to do it now or in the future.

Sara

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you do decide to drive down the coast, be sure to stay in the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo. It is such a hoot! Every room is decorated differently in the most wild themes. It's so OTT that it's beyond kitsch to fascinating. Just men need to beware of the men's room in the restaurant...it's a fountain and women as well as men stop in to take a peek.

cave man room
    {{gwi:2134600}}

the restaurant
    {{gwi:2134601}}

• cran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Sara for the great information. After reading Marlene and Martinca post my husband and I have decided not to go to wine country but drive south. For us the wine tasting and vineyards were secondary we just wanted to experience more of the "ambience". Your suggestions are wonderful and I will look into the San Jose airport. We are getting our dates solidified with our son now.
    Thanks Annie, the Madonna Inn sounds very intriguing that may be worked into the plan as well!

Then we will arrive to the hustle and bustle of Huntington B.!

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Lived there for many wonderful years. Here in no particular order are some highlights that I don't think visitors should miss:

Outside the City (SF):

MUIR WOODS- a redwood grove north, over the GG bridge, which includes a beautiful drive there. Avoid on weekends.

MONTERREY/CARMEL -including the beautiful 17 mile drive. A good couple of hours south of SF. Beautiful, quaint little towns with a fab aquarium as well as great shopping and dining.

NAPA VALLEY -winery tours, great dining, gondola ride to see the area from above, hot air balloon rides for same...

In the City:
    TAKE A BUS TOUR to see many highlights on your first day, including The SeaCliff district and Pacific Heights (many famous mansions, etc.)

GG park especially on a Sunday where you can peoplewatch as well as attend art and science museum and Hall of Flowers. Rent bikes for a great day in the park.

FERRY BUILDING along Embardareo, similar to Fanuel Hall in Boston, lots of food vendors, etc.

CHINA TOWN -authentic, fabulous dining and shopping

UNION SQUARE - lots of great hotels and shopping

ALAMO SQUARE -for the famous skyline view of victorian houses

GG BRIDGE -spend a morning in the Marina District and visit the Palace of Fine Arts, then rent bikes and ride across GG Bridge. Ride back to the Marina for lunch and shopping.

FISHERMAN's WHARF -just kind of fun and touristy. Not really high on my list, but everyone seems to want to go

SAUSALITO -wonderful, charming town across the GG bridge from SF. Eat dinner there on the water and you will feast on a fabulous, sparkling view of SF.

There is soooooo much more. Be sure to check out TripAdvisor ad other sites for favorite shops and restaurants before you go.

• cran
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Bestyears, we have been to SF twice and had done some of the wonderful things you suggested. I actually would like to go back again, but this year is a different trip.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Visited the Hearst castle. Found it to be just a maze of concrete blocks.
    Like the library but no getting close to the books.

• dethcheez
    9 years ago

Being a gardening site
    I'm surprised nobody brought up
    The San Francisco Botanical Garden in Golden Gate Park

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

Not sure how much time you have in SF, but in case you want some good eats, here's some recs:
    The Slanted Door (near the Embarcadero) for some amazing French-Vietnamese food and views of the bay; Greens, a legendary vegetarian place in the Marina, some pizza in North Beach (my fave is Tony's), dinner at Delfina in the Mission. Also, Tartine Bakery in the Mission is to DIE FOR. Bi-Rite ice cream is also a famous homemade ice cream spot in the Mission that has really unique flavors (honey lavender, sea salt, strawberry balsamic). Also, it's been a while since I've eaten there but Kokkari has some excellent Greek food.

This post was edited by pipdog on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 0:09

• sushipup1
    9 years ago

We're in the Monterey area. From SF to LA, be sure to drive down 101 and avoid I-5. We have a lot of wineries in this area, too. Most have tasting rooms at the wineries along the eastern slope of the Santa Lucia Highlands, and tasting rooms in Carmel as well.

http://www.santaluciahighlands.com/the-vineyards

Don't miss the best beach restaurant in the world (per BBC Travel), just up the road from Monterey about 30 minutes, Phil's, and try the cioppino. We go about every week, bluegrass bands on weeknights.

There is a terrific restaurant at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, too, don't miss it. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/

Whale watching? From Monterey, but the tours are better/longer from Moss Landing.

We have family in the wine business up in Healdsburg. They send people to Sonoma. (The earthquake last summer was in Napa, not Sonoma.) The Girl and the Fig, just off the Plaza is wonderful. http://www.thegirlandthefig.com/

Lots more..... Come visit!

Here is a link that might be useful: Phil's