Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonnieann925

South Beach Restaurants

bonnieann925
9 years ago

Last February my daughter and I needed a get-away after the sudden death of her boyfriend. We went to Florida for 4 days and really enjoyed our time together, despite the turmoil she was enduring.

Today is the one year anniversary of his death, and as unbelievable as it sounds, the coroner just released the cause of death on Friday. It was a heart attack and he went peacefully in his sleep. My DD found him. There simply are no words to describe the anguish.

We are South Beach bound (her choice) for 5 days next month during my February school vacation week. The flights and hotel are booked. I'm looking for restaurant suggestions. Having been there as a family I know of many places. However this will be a bit different and we are looking for good food and wine, not necessarily family-friendly. Please share any suggestions you may have. I will check out Trip Advisor and Yelp in the meantime.

Today and I walked the beach here with my winter coat on, my mind wandered to how much better it will be in FL next month!

Comments (12)

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

My favorite restaurant in South Beach is Casa Tua, hidden with a big hedge, you feel transported to Europe, yet you are steps from the Miami action.

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

What a sad story yet how nice that you can share this memory together.

A more casual and lively vibe is the waterfront restaurant bar at the Standard hotel.

Here is a link that might be useful: casa tua

• maddielee
    9 years ago

When will you be there? The South Beach Food and Wine Festival is in February (may be the weekend of the 18th?).

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

That is so terrible! How awful for your DD.

I was going to say the same as Maddie -- we were in Miami for Feb. school vacation last year and the food and wine festival was going on at that time. We didn't go, but we saw the signs, etc.

We had dinner in South Beach once, but I can't remember the name of the restaurant. It wasn't very good, anyway!

• reggier29
    9 years ago

We love Prime 112 and Prime Italian

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Hugs to you and your DD. My first DH died in his sleep. He went to bed earlier than me that evening and I found him when I went to bed. It was a devastating time for my three children and me. He was a very healthy man with no signs or symptoms of heart disease. The coroner ruled it a massive anterior heart attack. There was no sign of him struggling to call for me, he was just sprawled out on the bed. That was twenty years ago, I was 41 and he was 45. I still miss him every day.

Sorry to pour out my story. I have such great sympathy and empathy for what your DD endured and will continue to endure. I hope you both have a wonderful time on your trip. For many years after my DH passed I would try to enjoy myself doubly. Once for me and once for my beloved husband.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

Well, to be honest South Beach with the exception of a few places-Casa Tua is one-really isn't where a lot of locals would say you get the best restaurants. They tend to be touristy, which makes sense of course :).

If you've not been to Joes' Stone Crabs that is an iconic restaurant on the Beach, definitely check that out.

Michael's Genuine Food and Drink is increditly popular with most everyone; it's on the mainland but easily accessible if you are staying on SB.

Michelle Bernstein's restaurants are also reliably good choices. Michy's is still open I believe, excellent food.

Ortanique on Miracle Mile is also a gastronomic feast. Fun fact: head chef Cindy Hutson used to live behind me; her youngest was born at home while they were our neighbors. Wonderful Caribbean/Jamaican fusion cooking.

Just a few ideas, there are tons of great places to eat. Stretching your locale a bit will yield some amazing and memorable meals, for sure.

• bonnieann925
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the suggestions!
    Maddielee, I am so happy that we will be there for part of the SB Food and Wine Festival and will get busy buying tickets for that event! That is perfect for what we are looking to do. Thank you!

Mitchdesj, Casa Tua looks perfect. I hope we can get an outside table. DD will really enjoy the European vibe, having lived in Italy, while in college and beyond.
    Thank you!

ljr, Both Primes look great. Hmmm....how do we choose, or do we plan on both? Thank you!

Runninginplace, you have given us excellent suggestions and we are certainly willing to stretch our local a bit for a fine dining experience. Thank you!

Holly-kay-Your post sends shivers down my spine. With 3 children, no signs of cardiac trouble....I can't begin to imagine how you coped with all of that. Thank you for sharing your story. One of the things I tell DD is that we now know this was inevitable and nothing could have been done to stop it. Had they married and had children, she would be walking in your shoes. It isn't much consolation, but it does rid her of some of the guilt she feels. "If I hadn't gone to the office that Saturday, I would have been there and could have called 911". NO! Everyone has told her that he had the type of heart attack that occurs in otherwise healthy young male athletes.

It took a solid year for the autopsy results (due to a scandal in the coroner's office in Boston over a year ago), and despite the findings, there really isn't any consolation. She knew he did not do drugs or engage in any self-abuse. She is now processing the findings, which make it official, and close the door on other possibilities.

Unlike your late DH, her BF did have high blood pressure and a strong family history of heart disease. However, he was an athlete in high school, college and beyond. He had just run a half-marathon in Disney. He was 28 and full of promise. DD says she will probably never find someone who loved her the way he did.

I hate the expression "time heals"--hell no! Not when you endure this type of suffering. What you went through is forever woven into your (and your children's) being: an unforgettable, tragic event with long-term pain and suffering.

I'm glad you poured out your story. Thank you for sharing it and for your thoughtful insights. "Tried to enjoy myself doubly....." Such words of wisdom from only one who has been there. I wish I could give you a big hug!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

ugh- such a difficult experience for your daughter :(
    just wanted to rec the river oyster bar as being an excellent meal when we were in Miami a couple of yrs ago- not in south beach tho-- it was on brickell I believe... but, not too far from SB...

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear about this tragic set of events.

As others have posted, most of the restaurants on South Beach are touristy and over-priced. The two best restaurants, in my opinion, are off the beach and worth the drive.

The first one is Tropical Chinese on Bird Road just west of the Turnpike. Their specialty is Dim Sum and a word to the wise - get there early or you will wait. The first thing you will notice, once you're seated, is that most of the patrons are Asian. That alone should tell you something.

The second restaurant serves the best Cuban food in Florida. It's called Versailles. There is no Cuban food on South Beach that even comes close.

I have been eating at these two restaurants for the better part of 30 years. Good eating!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Bonnieann. Time doesn't totally heal. Time scabs the wound but it is easily knocked off and the hurt comes back again. Most days are happy, lovely days but I often find myself wishing with all my heart that he was here with me enjoying our grandchildren, family vacations, and wonderful times together. I think what makes it all bearable is that I was so blessed with a truly loving man. He was my husband, lover, and best friend and enriched my life. Better to have had his love and lost him early than to have never known him.

Have a wonderful time with your daughter, she is so lucky to have you. The best restaurants always seem to be the ones that locals go to.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I just happened to watch Top Chef last night, and they're having a play-off for best restaurant. One featured was in South Beach, which actually won against it's contender from Beverly Hills. The name is Dolce, and the food is Italian. It might be worth a try.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz