Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
legomom23

Best money book for young adults

legomom23
10 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion for a money book with real life advice for those just graduating college?
I'm looking for an easy to read book with the basics about taxes, investing, retirement plans, buying vs renting, etc.
Thanks!

Comments (6)

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

The Millionaire Next Door: easy, enjoyable reading and right-on the money .(couldn't resist!)
    My DD loves Dave Ramsay . Says his seminars are really beneficial. He is great, but I'm not familiar with his books. He's very personable, so perhaps look for a DVD.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

I like David Bach's books, such as Smart Women Finish Rich.

You also might look at Zac Bissonette's books, such as "How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better Looking than Your Parents."

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

There is an old (1997), basic, beginners book called High Finance on a Low Budget. It is very basic, but a good starting point for someone young, I think.

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

I think that it depends on the type of student.

My DH works in the mortgage business, and sees people often who have not established any credit due to using the Dave Ramsey system. So while it is good at keeping one out of debt and able to pay their bills, it IMHO does not go far enough or offer enough concrete information about how the credit system works and how to build and keep a good credit score.

Millionaire next door is a great book, but more of a philosophy of financial behavior book than a technical book on how things work.

I suggest asking your banker or financial advisor what they recommend.

• violetwest
    10 years ago

Alternatively, they "don't need no stinkin' book." Tell them this (advice I wish I had received):

1) Save 10% of all monies you make or receive.
    2) Pay your bills on time and pay attention to credit. *
    3) Pay attention to your taxes.

That's basically it. Save money automatically and every single time. Learn about credit -- absolutely critical today. Don't ignore the IRS.

*Honestly, the best resource I've found for learning about credit and getting it in shape is the forums on myfico.com

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

We bought all 3 kids (in their 20's) The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach. I read a review about it from one of the Washington Post's financial guru's, Michelle Singletary.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus