Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amj0517

Spring Vacation

amj0517
9 years ago

We're due for a family vacation, so I'm seeking help in finding a destination. We will be driving from southern Michigan, and we are okay with spending a day or so in the car. Our main stipulation is that our destination needs to be warm enough to swim. We originally thought about FL, but if we can shorten the drive it would be wonderful!

- Traveling April 2-10 (+/- a day or so).
- Three kids (ages 7, 5 and almost 2). This vacation is really for them.
- Would love a resort or rental with a pool.
- I'm not crazy about giant amusement parks (Disney World was a bust. Waiting in long lines, only to have the kids decide not to ride).
- Our kids love outdoor activities, but we will have the 2 year old with us for everything, so activities need to be safe for him too (no ziplines, lol).

Did someone here once mention someplace near Hilton Head that is geared more towards families? What about the Outer Banks (I always hear it mentioned, but know nothing about it). I'm open to any suggestions at this point. I just need to someplace to start looking.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

We love the islands off off the east coast in the Charleston area, but the weather can be pretty iffy that time of year. It would be a bit early for ocean or outdoor pool swimming at that time.

Although I don't care for Myrtle Beach, I know it is perfect for families with children and lots there for them to do. Again, that time frame is going to be iffy for outside swimming, but probably be warm enough for outside activities and there are many resorts there that have indoor pools. Friends of ours have two children and their son has a slight obsession with pirates. They go to a resort that has a pirate ship as part of the pool. The kids love it! There is an aquarium, broadway at the beach, etc. that your kids would probably enjoy.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

I don't think you can be certain of outdoor swimming within driving distance from that location on that date.

Would you do an indoor water park? Kids seem to love, love those!

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Not a warm location outside, but lots of people with kids just love the indoor water park called Great Wolf Lodge in the Pocono Mountains of Pennsylvania. Tons for kids to do.

Aprils still early for warm weather unless you fly to CA or the Southwest. How about Hawaii. Now there's an affordable option.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

There is also a Great Wolf lodge here in NC.

That Easter/Spring break week is extremely popular for Myrtle Beach, so if you want that, you might want to book now. The weather in the Carolinas can be quite nice at that time, but probably not outdoor swimming. Or it can be like the time I was in Hilton Head for a conference two years ago end of March, where I wished I had my gloves!

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Wolf Lodge NC

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

You can google "family resorts" for each state or do the same at Trip Advisor. Agree you probably won't find outdoor swim weather unless you go way south. I would keep the drive under 500 miles, especially with a two year old who may not fair well in a car seat for such a long period....that's easily a ten hour day or longer with potty breaks and all.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

If you want a beach location without going to Florida you can check out Gulf Shores, Alabama. It's almost a straight shot down I-65 near Mobile. It might be warm, or not in early April, but you just never know. Spring break here is late March. Last year it was cold, but warmed up the following week. There are lots of condos with pools (some might be heated, I don't know), a state park, a few attractions in Mobile, the beaches are great and the seafood is to write home to Mama about.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

I have a different opinion. We are in northern Indiana and have driven to Destin, Florida in mid March many years and have gotten into the ocean every year. Not sure what side of Michigan you are on but I65 (or I69 to 65) takes you right down through Alabama. The last few hours are 2 or 4 lane highway. It takes us roughly 13 hours and we frequently leave at 4 am to get a jump on the day.

After a snowy cold winter anything north of 60 degrees is balmy and we love going without a coat. It usually is so hot that we get in the ocean to cool off. We spend a lot of time on the beach and it is beautiful with white sugary sand.

The Smokies are another option especially if you are over by Detroit. Shoot down I75, turn right and you are there. Not sure what the weather would be in April but it's got to be better than Michigan. ;-)

• msmagoo
    9 years ago

The Outer Banks would be way too cool that time of year. We have been in early June and the water is freezing. We love Hilton Head Island and go there every summer. The beach is wonderful for bike riding and there are lots of bike paths on the Island. When our kids were small, they loved it. There are lots of places that rent bikes, they have all sizes and even ones with seats on the back for smaller children. It is considered to be on the cusp of the tropics, so April could be quite nice, unless there is a cold snap up the east coast.

• amj0517
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Tina - DH vetoed Myrtle Beach since it is a âÂÂspring breakâ destination. Leery of the party scene with the kids. Charleston is interesting. IâÂÂll add that to my list of places to check out.

Mtn, ded, gscience - Our boys love the indoor water parks. We actually go a few times a year for a day trip. Wherever we decide to go for this trip IâÂÂm sure an indoor water park will be visited for a day.

Ded - IâÂÂll sound like a fuddy-duddy, but I have ZERO interest in flying at this point. I always say that we will take a flying vacation when all of the kids are big enough to carry their own suitcases! ïÂÂ

Joanie - WeâÂÂve done longer road trips when our older kids were little. Yes, it does take longer but we survived. I think as long as we are expecting extra pit stops it is more acceptable.

Outside, rnmom - IâÂÂve been to the shores of Alabama and Destin, years ago. Destin may be out because of âÂÂspring breakâ but IâÂÂll check into it.

Msmagoo - WeâÂÂll save the Outer Banks for another year, when we can get away in the summer. Thanks.

Anyone been to Branson, MO? It looks like there is A LOT to do there. I may have to give up on the outdoor swimming, but if there are lots of other activities IâÂÂm sure our kids will be happy with inside swimming too!

• OllieJane
    9 years ago

We have been to Branson and I think you would like it there. Silver Dollar City has rides for every age, so your kids would really like it there. We also enjoyed Ride the Ducks. Even though I think your kids would like it, I think DH and I enjoyed it more. I have an eleven year old-almost 12 and ever since he was about 9, we go ride the Go Carts. They have a few putt putt golf courses too-but it is a little boring for my son because he golfs on golf courses. I think you kids would really enjoy Dixie Stampede, and you would too. To me, there wasn't too much to do in the evening for my DS and his friends, or that they were interested in. We've only done a couple of nights at a time so we could pick up my son who went to a summer camp nearby, and that was enough for us, but it is a nice getaway for a family. I'm sure we missed out on a lot of shows that might be fun too. It is VERY family-oriented and pretty low key. Their might be a hotel with a fun park inside? Some people go all the time and really love it there! Lots of older-retired people too-they love the shows.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz