Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Tell me about your fitbit

3katz4me
10 years ago

I recall from the healthy check in posts that some people have these. I noticed in the last week that three people I work with have a Fitbit Force. I'm kind of intrigued, especially if it tracks how much sleep I get (how does it do that?) I don't get much because I wake up so many times during the night. I'm not sure what I'd do with this info but it would be interesting to know when I get more and when I get less.

What kind of fitbit do you have and what do you think of it?

Comments (13)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I have the Fitbit One, not the bracelet style. I don't want something that is visible like a bracelet. I wear mine either in my pocket or clipped to my bra so I can immediately (well, not when its clipped to my bra) see my step count and number of flights.

I think Gsciencechick, who works with these gizmos, said they are most accurate when worn about midline and at the waist. The little clip isn't big enough to clip to my waist band that's why I wear it where I do. I'm not looking for scientic accuracy, just a little motivation, so it's oaky if it's not the ideal spot.

I don't know if the bracelet shows the data or it you need to sync to get that, some of the bracelet styles require syncing. I like the immediate response to pressing the button versus needing to sync to my phone or iPad.

It doesn't change my behavior, and I doubt its accuracy, but I do like seeing the sleep graph. Maybe seeing the long periods of non-movement helps me to feel rested? I don't know how it differentiates between restless and awake , especially for an active sleeper, but the chart shows different colors. I have always been a restless, tosser-turner style of sleeper but now I can also see all the periods I was still, which is nice to see.

I enjoy the weekly reports it sends, even though I don't actually do anything with the data. I think tomorrow it will be one year since I started wearing it.

One of my sisters wears a bracelet style (an Up band?) and she has to sync it with her phone to get her data. She bought one for her bf and now they compete. He actually marched in place at his desk at work so his numbers would be higher than hers!

• springroz
    10 years ago

Dh got me the Fitbit Flex for Christmas....I cannot get it to track my sleep. I tap it according to the instructions, etc. No go. But I found the couple of times I thought it was working, I would wake up and worry about not getting any sleep!!!

I heard a radio spot on this kind of technology, and their study showed most users give up after about 30 days. I am in my third week, still putting it on my wrist in the morning.

I have a bit (ok, a LOT) of technophobia, and it kind of concerns me that it communicates with the internet--it sends me an email when its battery gets low.....

Nancy

• vickij
    10 years ago

I too cannot get my flex to track my sleep. I tap it as instructed and the proper lights come on but it doesn't track anything. I'm disappointed. I fear that my husband wasted his money!

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

DH got me the Zip model for Xmas.....I thought it was just a regular pedometer...I didn't realize I had to register and supply personal statistics that would be "out there".........just did not feel comfortable plugging in my height, weight, etc for "all" to see...at least it feels that way....I know, I'm being silly...

Any recommendations for a regular pedometer?

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Hmmm, interesting that two of you have problems with sleep tracking and the Flex. For the One, I hold down the button until a stopwatch type timer starts, the screen stays lit for 5 seconds then goes blank, and then press it again to stop the timer when I wake up.

Joaniepoanie,
    I used to wear a basic pedometer from Digiwalker. I always wore the bare bones, steps only model but I know they have units that do more than basic steps if that's what you want. I hope gsciencechic chimes in with some advice for you, she has knowledge about many brands and styles.

I've mentioned this before but I'm not a precise person so I don't worry if any of these gizmos are perfect. I am motivated by the results even if they aren't 100% accurate. Did I take 10,000 steps or 10,120? Who cares? All I know is the next day I want to beat, or at least meet, the results from the day before.

• springroz
    10 years ago

I get it, hhireno! It doesn't matter if it counts every step, it is mostly the affirmation. One day, somehow, my Flex got on sleep, and it went on for 11hrs, 26 minutes, but I had 883 restless times, lol!!

It counts my horse's steps as my own, and it gives me active minutes while riding. I suppose it is because a 1000 lb hits the ground harder than 175 lb!!

I did not ride today, but got in 21,000 steps.

Nancy

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Joanie, I have a two or three year old iPod that I use the pedometer on. I decided I wanted something more and got a NewBalance watch that tracks more, but I don't think it works near as well as my iPod in my pocket does.
    I use my iPhone for tracking my sleep. I think it's just called Sleep Time. You can check it out on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleep Time by Azumio

• graywings123
    10 years ago

When I am driving, my fitbit one records the altitude changes as floors climbed! But sadly, it recorded nothing when I was repeatedly climbing the ladder while I painted the house.

I gave up on recording my sleep patterns.

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

I don't really get these gadgets. I will use a pedometer occasionally when I am walking a new route to get an idea of the distance or steps. Once that is known, why wear the pedometer everyday?? BTW, the pedometer doesn't "count" my activity while on the elliptical machine. I know so isn't that enough?

• goldgirl
    10 years ago

I have a Fitbit One and love it! I didn't want the Flex because I wanted it to be inconspicuous during work hours. I simply clip it to my bra or pocket and forget it's there. I have used it during sleep and it worked great.

I have a very sedentary job, where I spend hours at a desk reading and writing. I find that the Fitbit indirectly reminds me to get up and walk regularly during the day, go up and down stairs, etc. It motivates me to park further out to get more steps, etc. Those seemingly minor changes add up.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Makes me think I won't get one.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

ratherbesewing, I'm like goldgirl, it's a reminder to get up and move. At a glance I can see if I've stayed at my desk to much any given day. If my steps are low I get up and move.
    Gibby, I do think it's worth using something if you normally have a sedentary job or existence. Even if it's not perfectly accurate it still is a great reminder, as mentioned above, to get up and move. And if you're really wanting to track your sleep, the app I linked to works quite well, but you have to have an iPhone. There are others out there so I highly recommend doing a search on your phone for an app that will work with it. Below is a link that might help you out too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Five Best Sleep Tracking Gadgets or Apps

• demifloyd
    10 years ago

My understanding is that your weight and height, should you choose to set them up on your FITBIT profile, are not "out there" unless you choose to share them, with people other than FITBIT.

I have had the ULTRA, which I accidentally washed after being careful for a year, I put it in rice to dry it out and it worked but would not reset at midnight.

So by then they were no longer selling new Ultras, so I ordered the ONE last year, it worked great and was easier to wear but after a few months stopped synching with my MAC.
    I looked online and found other MAC users having the same problem. After trying many things Fitbit replaced it and the new one is working great.

It does track my sleep when you place it in the little cloth bracelet and serves as a reminder. If I'm near the 10,000 step goal for each day I often walk around the house or down the driveway a few times just to push myself to that goal, or climb the stairs a few times to make the 10 flights of stairs goal.

I don't use the App on my phone, but like just looking down at it and checking my steps and flights of stairs and activity level throughout the day. If I'm sitting at the computer too long and look down I am reminded I need to get up and put more steps and flights of stairs on the Fitbit.

I've recommended this product and five friends have them now, some of them gifts from me.