Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

OT-- winter escape to Florida suggestions?

I have the opportunity to get away Sat-Thurs and could afford Florida (would prefer CA but the airfare is too high now). I have only been to Orlando, for conferences and meetings. I would be solo, and really would just want to do a fair bit of walking/hiking, maybe rent a bike & ride a rail-trail, a little exploration but not full-on tourist mode.

Any suggestions for a destination? TIA

Comments (27)

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

We have been all over Florida and much prefer the east coast. Would you consider Miami?

https://www.walkscore.com/cities-and-neighborhoods/

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

raee - you might have more luck in conversations side.

That said - I vote Sarasota. You get art, architecture, white sand beaches, birdwatching, quiet safe city, and the Legacy trail.

Here is a link that might be useful: Legacy Trail

• lisa_mocha
    9 years ago

Sarasota is lovely.
    My favorite spot...Naples. We spend 2 weeks in Naples every Christmas...about 2 hrs south of Sarasota and a few degrees warmer. Love It... Beautiful beach, great little restaurants and shops. Much more quiet than Miami. Safe for solo travel. Its @ 1 1/2 hr across to Miami if you want to do day trip or overnight.

• junglegal
    9 years ago

I'm rather partial to my hometown of Saint Petersburg!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, robo, I do forget about this side...

Sarasota looks good....cheap flights into Tampa!

Junglegal, I will look at St. Petersburg too!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Ditto to robo on Sarasota. It's not touristy either.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa_mocha, checking out Naple, too

• bac717
    9 years ago

If you end up around Sarasota, you might want to check out Anna Maria Island. Miles of beach to walk there. In St. Petersburg, they have the Salvador Dali museum and the Dale Chihuly museum. In Sarasota, there is the Ringling museum and the winter home of John and Mabel Ringling you can tour, as well as a nice botanical garden - Selby Botanical Gardens.

• ardcp
    9 years ago

we love the west coast as well. closer to the tampa airport, the tarpon springs area (just north of clearwater) has a state park called caladessi island. lots of kayaking, walking opportunities and driving distance to my second fave, anna maria island. that whole area is beautiful and chock full of state parks, most on the beach.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Only place in Fla. I'd want to go to would be the Keys.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, I am seriously looking around the Tampa area.

Tibbrix, don't you live in Florida?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

raee, nope. I live in Mass.

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

Our winter home is Fort Myers, but for your criteria I think Anna Marie Island is perfect! We have spent many long weekends there in the past before we became snowbirds with our own permanent nest further south.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Dali museum has a Picasso exhibit right now! It's a bit pricey but I was really impressed with the Dali side...am guessing they'll have a gem of a Picasso exhibit as well. We got a pretty blah Andy Warhol exhibit when we went.

Ringling Museum in Sarasota is amazing and there are really nice grounds right on Sarasota bay as well.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

We have our winter home outside Tampa now (Lutz) and used to be in Clearwater.

The Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater area is great!
    Clearwater Beach is beautiful. Fort De Soto is nice kayaking and hiking. I love Honeymoon Island State Park, there are beaches and hiking trails there (we take the dogs all the time).

There are multiple nature preserves nearby (we just did a long walk in Starkey Wilderness Preserve).

Dunedin is a really adorable area with great restaurants.

So much to do within this area....

• frankginakay
    9 years ago

Clairebuoyant, I live in Ft Myers! What area are you in? Raee, St Pete is a lovely little town and the beaches are gorgeous! Just depends if you want the big city of Tampa, or choose a smaller town by the beach. We live near Sanibel/Captiva, that is an area that you need to check into. You would fly into Ft Myers, two hours S of Tampa. Lots of bike riding and beautiful beaches, too. Florida is a perfect choice in the winter, you will love it.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

First choice here would also be the Clearwater-St Pete or Sanibel Island area. My in-laws and a BIL lived in Tampa (now deceased) so we used to make a lot of trips there. Not so much anymore but we always enjoyed those areas except in the hot summertime.

Second would be to the Keys.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Sevond all suggestions for the west coast. We lived in Palm Harbor for about ten years and i loved the entire area. All the choices----sarasota, Naples, Clearwater, anna Maria---- are different but all have something special to recommend them. Florida in winter is heavenly.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

Thought I'd post some of my Sarasota and area photos just to sweeten the pot ;)

Lettuce Lake park just outside of Tampa, swamp ecosystem.
    {{gwi:2134420}}

Dolphins in Sarasota Bay
    {{gwi:2134421}}

View of the bay from the top of the Ringling mansion

Epiphytes at Myakka River state park, about 30 mins from Sarasota.
    {{gwi:2134423}}

Longboat Key beach
    {{gwi:2134424}}

Siesta Key beach

Birds at Siesta Key can be a bit...insistent.

Orchid, philodendron and Spanish moss at Marie Selby gardens (they focus on air plants)
    {{gwi:2134427}}

Mangroves off Chokoloskee Island (closer to Naples)

Why do I live in Canada?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Thu, Jan 29, 15 at 10:20

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Either the Keys or Sanibel/Naples/Marco Island.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow. How beautiful, Robo!

Well, it turns out that I am going to San Diego after all. Pricelined a good airfare, hotel and car. Will meet friends (I used to live there). Still, it will be a bit more than I would have spent to go to the Tampa Bay area.

But for sure I will keep all of these suggestions in mind in case I need another weekend this (or next) winter. I am so interested, I was almost disappointed when my priceline bid was accepted!

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Well you certainly can't go wrong with San Diego! What a great city and surrounds. Have a great time! My SIL and BIL live in San Diego--ahhhh, the life!

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

Ginakay, we're in the Macgregor/Gladiolus area. How about you?

• frankginakay
    9 years ago

NO WAY, we live off McGregor and PineRidge.... Gulf Harbour CC!!

• Claire Buoyant
    9 years ago

Too funny.... we are across the road in Lucaya!

• frankginakay
    9 years ago

Clairebuoyant, send me an email sometime and tell me where you guys are from and what all you enjoy doing in Ft Myers! frankginakay@gmail.com I pass your neighborhood every day~~

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

Beautiful robo! Except you forgot all the gators everywhere in Myakka!
    The prettiest beaches there.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner