Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maire_cate

How do you store your Christmas lights?

maire_cate
9 years ago

Sad to say it's time to dismantle the tree and put all the decorations away. This year I purchased new strands of lights for the two trees that we decorate in the living room and family room.

These were great lights - LED but a soft, warm light reminiscent of incandescent but a tad brighter. And since they're new, they were still tightly coiled and I didn't want to stretch them out too much - that way I was able to have more lights and have them close together.

But now I have 10 strands of lights to store. I used to roll my old lights onto onto plastic reels made for that purpose. These don't fit, they're just bulkier.

So for this year I carefully laid them into a box and put tissue paper between the layers hoping that they'll remain untangled until next year.

Anyone have a better idea?

And is it just me or do the decorations use more boxes and take up more space every time I put them away?

Comments (13)

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Years ago, I started storing each strand of lights one gallon zip lock bags and put all the bags together in one box. (Most of my strands are 100 lights). I have not had a tangle problem using this method.

Next December I am sure to have strands that won't light, never understand how THAT happens.

ML

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

We wrap ours around something, usually a cedar shingle, and then put all of those in a box or relatively rigid bag. They unwrap well when we get then out in a year.

• funnygirl
    9 years ago

Regarding non-working strands....

Perhaps this has already been discussed here but if not, we got a "Light Fixer" (I've seen them at Home Depot, Hobby Lobby seasonally, and Amazon). We had several strands out on our tree this year and I was actually keeping an eye out for a replacement tree to purchase after Christmas when I learned about this little miracle worker. You remove any bulb in a non working strand, insert the "gun", pull the trigger and the entire strand lights up. It "repairs a leak" causing the strand to malfunction. We had a lot of fun repairing all of our non working strands!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

We have cut pieces of cardboard maybe 12x18" from heavy boxes, made V notches in the center on each end and wrapped each set of lights around the notches. Inexpensive and works well.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I also put each strand in a separate ziplock bag.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Wrapped around rolled up newspaper.

• maire_cate
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions - I think I'll try both and then when I unwrap them the next time I'll see if one is easier than the other.

I've never heard of the light fixer but checked an Amazon sells one - that would have been really helpful with my old lights. My new ones stay lit even if a bulb is burned out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Keeper

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

I roll mine and put them into zipper bags too. Mine aren't all the same size, so I do write with a Sharpie so I know how many lights on the strand.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

In shoe boxes with tissue between them and then they all go into a bigger box. I like my strings of lights to stay "relaxed" and not rolled up.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We roll ours up between our thumb and elbow, put a big twist tie around them then into a grocery bag, labeled and put in a box in the attic.

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Same as Annie, except we switched to those giant zip-lock baggies instead of grocery bags/boxes. You can't stand up in the part of our attic where we store the lights. The giant zip-locks are easier to manipulate (and to see what's in them) than boxes.

• bpath
    9 years ago

We are taking down the inside lights just now and putting them in gallon ziploks, great idea! Of course we didn't take down the outdoor lights before it snowed, now the temp is dropping to the single digits and a few more inches are coming.

Those ziplok Big Bags are great for holiday decorations! They have handles so they can hang from hooks and nails on the shelves.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

If you have Dollar Tree stores in your area, they often have very large zipper bags.