Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

I'm a chart geek - so I found this interesting

lyfia
10 years ago

I like charts and distributions of "facts" and "data" of things around the world so I found this entertaining.

Maps making sense of the world

Comments (13)

• geokid
    10 years ago

My favorite is #40. Since earth is a sphere moving through three-dimensional space, the notion of "up" or "down" is one that humans determined. And since most original mapmakers were from the northern hemisphere, North became "up".

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

#17. I am not surprised that the highest paid public employees in most states are football or basketball coaches!

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

Funny you mention that, gscience. Just last night, dh and I were discussing the spelling of our friend's last name. He is head coach of the College of Charleston's basketball team. We just visited Charleston and our friend gave us tickets and some other things to one of his team's games while we were there, so we were having our kids write thank you notes. So I googled his name (and I was the one who had the correct spelling, ha!) and one of the links that popped up was a story about highest paid state employees in SC. We were both surprised to learn that he was top of the list at $400K though apparently, two people surpassed him recently according to the article.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

That was very interesting and entertaining. Thank you for posting.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Really fun and interesting. I would like to know where the guy with the map tattoo on his back is from.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a lot of them interesting, but #7 was particularly interesting to me as I have an interest in what names come from and in the case of France surprising to me. We have an office in France and about half of my team is there and I don't think any of them are named Martin. Might be an anomaly though.

Oh and my guess about the guy with the map is that he is from the Americas as if he was from Europe he would have been to other areas there and Africa as well.

I would venture to guess Northern America too but only based on statistics of how common his skin color is.

This post was edited by lyfia on Thu, Jan 9, 14 at 15:00

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Very interesting...thanks!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Those were great. I did LOL at the unexpectedness of #36, the map of Ludacris area codes.

• fourkids4us
    10 years ago

gscience, I couldn't respond to your email b/c you don't have your settings set to accept email. However, I just wanted to let you know that I got it!

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Thanks, I thought I had that enabled. Fixed that now. LOL, though.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Thanks. That was terrific.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Intriguing, thanks for the link. I liked the moving net use map. Plus scientist info, since my son is in research and they noted the highest paid was in Hawaii where his is located. Need to send the link to him.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

I liked #29. The Economic Center of Gravity Since 1 AD.