Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Source for a fabulous beach bag?

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

They seem to be hard to find this time of year; any ideas?
It's one of those things where you always see fabulous ones but then when you need one you can't find any.

I'd prefer black, white, or straw or combo there of. Probably not canvas; something a little dressier for nice resorts.

I've always loved this one; eps the tortotise shell handles, but they don't even make it anymore:

Comments (90)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

All the beaches I go to have sand and I prefer to not have that in my bag

My favorite beach bag is plastic, has handles and a solid bottom so I dont get sand in the car. I think it came from Target for $6..... We wear .99 flip flops too. Nothing like black tar to ruin a good pair of sandals

I would suggest this route if you are stay at Bacara and going to the beach

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I have this one and love it, very adaptable to your suits. it's not being made now but I found it on Ebay for half what I paid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tory Burch

• funkyart
    9 years ago

Love that, Yaya.. it seems pretty darn close to perfect!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NIce one, yaya. A tad too dark, tho.

Get a load of this!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here you are w/ a Tory Burch.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Tory Burch Kellyn Tote.
    I have a friend who is a flight attendant who bought the large & small LV tote for me - probably 10 years ago. My plan was to use the larger one as a beach bag. It's extremely stiff & doesn't pack well. I think I took it on one trip.
    I had forgotten about them until seeing your post today.

• deegw
    9 years ago

These aren't posh enough but I thought I'd post a link in case someone was looking for a price point between plastic bag and LV :)

The fabric is a coated plastic like indoor outdoor rugs but very thin. The bags fold up and store easily. These seem like they wouldn't be durable but I have a large one that I have used for five years and it still looks brand new.

Some of the patterns are twee but I am fond of the stripes.

{{gwi:2134271}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Scout bags

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Mtn, why is it, that whenever you post for advice on shopping, it ends up costing ME money?!

I have to have one of those dash and albert bags and maybe a scout bag or two. And the dash and albert site has some great throws that are just what I"ve been looking for.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Dee, that would be right up my alley. HH - you crack me up. Here I was thinking I was the only one who doesn't take a fancy bag to the beach! We don't do posh beach resorts though, much prefer renting a private residence (cottage/villa/condo, etc.). I would never carry a nice, expensive bag down to the beach. I have something along Dee's line that is waterproof. Also like the Landsend bags that Mt. mentioned.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I love those scout bags Deee. Thank you for posting them.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Daisy, I was going to say the same thing. I'm stuck at home this week with a sick kid, so I spent a ridiculous amount of time online yesterday looking at beach bags and travel totes for ME after seeing this thread. I'm sending the bill to Mtn.

I have one of those Dash and Albert bags. Very heavy IMO and bigger than I expected (ordered online) but it is pretty to look at.

When we went to Bermuda last summer I couldn't find a beach bag I liked until I stumbled upon one at...Target! You just never know when you might find the right bag.

I also find that TJ Maxx can be a great source.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Forgot to add -- the colors don't work for Mtn, but wanted to throw out this idea for anyone else who wants a great beach bag. We have a couple of these sail bags that we use at our beach cottage and they are fantastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bags

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Me again. Don't forget etsy! Some interesting cute bags to be found.

I bought a bag from this artist at an art fair last year, and yesterday, thanks to Mtn, I ordered a second one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Etsy bags

• hhireno
    9 years ago

For me, the key to a successful beach bag is a flat handle (like the scout bag) versus a cute, but cuts into your shoulder rope or rounded handle (like the Tory Burch). When my bag is loaded down with my supplies for the day, it gets heavy.

My other considerations: how long the handles are, it has to hit just right when I carry it and if they're too long then I can't carry off my shoulder or it hits the ground; a zippered inner pocket for keys and phone; not vinyl because that's hot and sticky against my skin.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Vinyl lined. Keeps anything waterproof.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mtn, here's another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black bag

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Here's one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mar y Sol bag

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

And the J. Crew bag I wanted and didn't buy in time (thankfully, because it was $400 on jcrew.com a bit back).

Here is a link that might be useful: J. Crew Tartine

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Speaking of J Crew...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bag

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Nice Sueb20! they have a matching hat too! :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh no ! oh no please stop

I am going to have a hard time limiting myself to three now!

I will reply to y'all but for now I am mired it tradesy.

Do NOT go there. I must scroll back again and find out who afflicted me with this site.

I have a handbag problem

BTW, I always learn about the specificity of language when I post. A bag for a trip to the beach should be very large, waterproof, nearly weightless when empty, yet have enough structure so as to stand up when empty. The best thing for that are the huge bags we bough through a school fundraiser. I think they are plastic but have corners so they stand up. Huge, weightless, waterproof and even as a fundraiser like 40 for one you could smuggle Salvadorans in. (excuse me for not being PC).

We need a new term for a bag you take to the pool or beach at a hotel or resort. You dont take it as far or carry as much and it has to look smashing. : )

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Some of those Scout bags are awesome...

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

Scout bags are the way to go for what you are looking for in a bag. I have several of them for the beach, for the dogs. The best part is that you can hose them out when you need to. If you can't find a pattern that you like on their website, you can find different ones on the Amazon website.

• deegw
    9 years ago

The Scout is like an Ikea shopping bag with a little more structure and cuter patterns. Nearly weightless, folds flat, water resistant

This black graphic pattern called "weaver fever" is cute.

{{gwi:2134272}}

This post was edited by deee on Fri, Jan 16, 15 at 14:56

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

I can't limit myself to one bag for a resort beach. I hate getting sand in my good bags so I use a recycled sail bag (2 more brands - SeaBags and Ella Vickers) for the beach and then a nice, smaller bag for off-beach use.

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Oh, no. I've been wearing Eric Javits's hats and bags for decades. Does that mean I've been an old lady forever?

Here is a link that might be useful: Now I am bummed

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I have now ordered 3 bags for myself in the past 2 days. I may need to quit GW.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

SueB,

I bought 2 Tradesy bags yesterday. And i still need a true beach bag, LOL! and the Tradesy people? They could tell that I spent half the day on the site, watched me buy, then wacthed me go through 24 pages of Chanel bags. Then they sent me, at 838pm, an email saying "10-20% off Chanel bags if you buy before midnight". OMG, is that not CRUEL!? I did not bite.

I will post my bag count when all the carnage is over; let's see yours!?

Oh and Sue, I ordered 2pr of LuckyBrand jeans thanks to you, and you also introduced me to panic attacks. Which was never in my vocab until that nice, reasonable lady on GW started having them and OMG could I be having one and NO, I never had a panic attack and why would I and what are they and now that I think I might have a panic attack, maybe I will have a panic attack. So you have some 'splainin to do too Miss Sue.

• hsw_sc
    9 years ago

mtnrdredux, you're probably going to hate me for this, but have you looked on vaunte.com? They always have new things coming in from stylists and "regular" people. Good luck!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Tradesy? Had not heard of it. Gotta go. See y'all later.

• marlene_2007
    9 years ago

kitchendetective, that is a stunning bag. I am going to order it. It's perfect for spring and summer! btw...I cannot figure out what is old lady about it...perhaps it's because I am an old lady :-)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Mtn, I have about 14 pairs of LB jeans so you've got some catching up to do.

I refuse to even look at Tradesy. I will not. I swear.

I ordered this bag from etsy for a carry-all for an upcoming Disney trip.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And this one from Zappos for walking around NYC next weekend. (It's a small cross-body bag.)

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And this one, in my continuing quest for the perfect everyday bag.

I have a bag addiction.

• allison0704
    9 years ago

DD1 lives in NorCal and they go to the beach often. She bought a couple of My Other Bag (the larger size) and loves them. Not sure if they are waterproof or not, or if that matters. They are not expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Other Bag

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Those Scout bags are great!

• suero
    9 years ago

Sueb,

Is that bag from Red Staggerwing Designs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Staggerwing Designs

• gail618
    9 years ago

I love My Other Bag's! I totally forgot that I have one somewhere in my closet. My parents gave it to me and it's so cute! It's got the old Chanel quilted bag printed on the canvas. But mine is smaller than the ones shown. So fun!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Suero -- yes! I have another from her, too, which I bought at a local art fair last year.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Mtn, I saw the 'exact' vinyl tote at the designer district in LA a few years ago, but it was a 'faux' Louie. As a beach bag, and a bag which would only get used a few months, why not consider the 'faux'? And you're visiting LA, right? Go to Santee Alley, and have an 'experience'!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, I would totally do faux, esp for something that is vinyl to begin with, for goodness sake's! As it happens I already found a vintage one, tho

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Faux as in knockoff?

ML

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sue, nice haul! I love the first one especially. And it seems so "you". Remember the HGTV personality who claimed you clothing choices mapped to your decor choices? I can kind of see that with you. KWIM? A bit funky, a mix of color but nothing too bright.

Okay. I have to cease and desist. I can't believe how many wonderful ideas you guys brought me.

I ended up buying two bags for now. And I am looking at some Junque trunks form Scout for the mudroom. And I got the girls beach bags for our trip. I got one a "My Other Bag" and one a Mar Y Sol.

(PS I already own an Ella Vickers Sail Bag -- one issue is I cannot seem to get it clean ... it is 3 yrs old now tho so maybe I can't expect much more?)

Here are the bags I bough, both from Tradesy. Compared to ebay, they seem like bargains; we will see ... they are returnable. If I dont like them, I will go with the Kors Raffia.

THX again all!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bag 2

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A follow-up FWIW, specifically in re Tradesy.

My gently used bags arrived (two different sellers). The aqua one arrived and is perfect, though smaller than I thought (my fault entirely, I didn't read it closely).

The brown one arrived smelling quite musty/mildewy. It occurred to me that must be a very common problem with vintage luxury handbags ... I don't think LV has made this bag for several years. What was annoying was that the seller did not disclose any odor in the description (other sellers do). I am unusually sensitive to smells, but others agreed with me.

Because the bag did not meet the description, Tradesy sent me a return mailing label and was willing to give me a full refund. However, the bag was much less than the 2 or three others available elsewhere, and I believe it can be cleaned. I renegotiated the price even furthere (a bit tricky since Tradesy does not facilitate this) and kept the bag. I will take it to a professional to clean. I've already greatly ameliorate the problem with vinegar . I'm happy but I do think the seller acted in bad faith; they had a dozen bags for sale and I doubt they were unaware about the problem.

Of course now Tradesy shows up on every page I bring up and I have a "want" list with them that is pages long ..... someone created a monster.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

For the record, I returned the last two bags I pictured above (the first one hasn't arrived yet). The bigger one was too boxy and the small one had a wonky zipper, which I often find with Hobo brand bags.

Oh well. I have another snow day tomorrow to peruse more bags online!

• romy718
    9 years ago

I have to thank you for starting this post. I had a beach vacation planned, saw the post & thought "I need a beach bag." I had totally forgotten I own these bags. I brought the smaller one & it's perfect.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy, Your bag looks great posing for the camera, LOL. I really love mine. Is yours new (a knokcoff) or is this an old photo ... dont think they have made them for 10 years?

• romy718
    9 years ago

Mtn-I believe mine are faux. I've had this one & the larger one for about 10 years. A flight attendant friend bought them both in Europe. I totally forgot about them until I saw your post. The larger one takes up too much luggage space & weight.
    Enjoy your vacation w/ your new bag!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wish I could find faux one, i have two friends that want them now too ... and like how faux can a bag be when it is plastic to begin with , kwim?

thx!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars150 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource