Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rilie_gw

Swimsuit shopping

rilie
11 years ago

Hi there.... I've wasted so much money on swimsuits over the years.... so I'm wondering if any of you might have be able to recommend a good, comfortable swimsuit or online shopping site for larger breasted women? I prefer 2 piece, but stay away from halter style tops if I can - they bother my neck if I wear them for any length of time. I've purchased a few of the bra-sized tops from Athleta and love them, but they all sort of look the same so I'm looking for some variety. What I do like about the Athleta tops is that even though they have under-wire support, you can't see it. Many of the bra-sized tops look JUST like a bra.... and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that.

Comments (14)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Have you tried Lands' End? I am actually going to try to find a bathing suit this week for a winter vacation, But, I am going to a store.
    I have had luck with Lands' End, but for now i want to be able to try on without the hassle of returning.

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

I was going to suggest lands end too as they seem to have a lot of choices if you are willing to deal with mail order. Nice if you have a local Sears where you can return without paying for shipping.

When I saw the subject of this thread it made me shudder. I HATE swimsuit shopping. I did a lot of it a few years ago when we went on a sailing trip in the British Virgin Islands. I'm kind of hoping I now have enough swim wear that I never had to go swimsuit shopping again in my lifetime.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I hate it, too. I buy mine from Lands End but for a different reason -- I have a big bottom so I like their skirted suits. I like that I can mix and match a black skirted bottom, say, with a colorful printed top -- bringing the attention up and away from my thighs! However, I am small on top so I don't know how well their tops work for those who are more busty. I get the halter tops usually, so maybe the other styles are better for bigger busts.

We are also going on a tropical vacation, next month, and I ordered several cover-ups online yesterday at Everything But Water. Lands Ends' cover ups are so blah, IMO. We have an EBW store not far from us, so I can return there if I need to.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Lands End.

This is my go to swimsuit. It is very flattering and is available in DDD. Don't accidentally order the all over control. It is like a girdle. Not comfortable at all.

Looks like an old lady swimsuit in the picture but looks great on.

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

that poor model doesn't have anything to fill up the suit, ( lol ) but I can see that it has good support and the gathers would hide a lot, I might give this one a try.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

QVC also has a line of bathing suits for fuller figures. It's a tough time of year to find swimwear here in the NE except for catalogs.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I ordered a bathing suit from one place hanes and was very happy with it... you can buy the tops and bottoms separately and you can mix and match the styles... I have heavy legs so I ordered the shorts type bottom and was very surprised at how quickly the fabric dried....

I also order my bras from there...I hate bra shopping as when I find the style, I can't find the size, or find the size and cant find the color...mail order solves all of that.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Hanes Place

• User
    11 years ago

Whoa let's not ruin what's left of the winter by talking about swimsuits. I had hoped to avoid this a few more months. I think we should all pretend that that Mayan end-of-the-world thing will happen on the very first pool day. Of every year. So there's no need to worry about swimsuits!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Landsend allows you to mix and match and specify coverage levels. Worth every penny and yo often can return for free.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

I always like to wear a cover up on the bottom. I have a couple in a gauze fabric, like the one pictured, which I got at Target. They may still be on their website. With a one piece suit it looks very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cover up

• ratherbesewing
    10 years ago

Lands End has killer fabric--it holds you in where you need it. And, I "think" you can return to Sears. (Maybe someone can verify that.) And a coordinating coverup is a NECESSITY. And a self tanner!

• funnygirl
    10 years ago

I returned the above suit to Sear's the other day (looked horrid on me!) but I understand Sear's and Land's End will soon be parting ways,

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Why are old posts (this one is almost a year old) suddenly popping up everywhere? It's sort of weird.

Anyway, yes, you can return Lands End stuff to Sears if they have a Lands End dept. (do they all have it now?). Very convenient! But I had no idea they were splitting up. That's sad...LE is my only reason for cutting thru Sears when I go to the mall.

• rilie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow - I have no idea why this popped up again! I ended up getting a couple of suits from Sunsets and am VERY happy with them. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised at the consensus regarding Land's End.... I've ordered a few of their pieces and haven't kept any. Some of their solid color pieces are okay... but most of their patterns are not very appealing IMO. Personal preference I guess.

This is one of the suits I got last spring.... Now that I have a brand I like, and I know what size I need, it's not so bad. They have lots of colors and patterns to chose from, so it's been kinda fun. :) Their sister site, Swim Systems, also has some nice pieces too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunsets