Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

soup to make with ham and ham bone

3katz4me
10 years ago

DH got a giant ham for Christmas from a supplier for his company. We just divided it up and he brought it to the office for any employees who want to take a chunk home. We kept a little bit but just don't care that much for ham. I did keep the bone though and hoping to make some kind of soup that I like. I've tried making a bean soup in the past - yuck. I just don't care for bean or pea soup. I browsed around online and found some veggie kinds of soups that sounded good but no reviews so I don't know how good they actually are.

Thought I'd ask here if anyone has a good recipe they would recommend to make use of this ham bone.

Comments (13)

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

DH loves split pea, so I will make it for him though I cannot stand it, not even the smell of it.

Lentil? Do you consider that a bean?

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

If you have enough ham, try scalloped potatoes with it. Of course the bone is not being used. Do you personally have a dislike for bean soup of any kind? I like to make the 5 bean soup which comes with seasoning. And any bean soup is twice as good the next day.....far better than just off the stove.

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I'm not crazy about bean or pea soups either so I'd use it in a potato/vegie soup. Or try a cauliflower/kale soup (traditionally with Italian sausage) and use the ham/bone in that. Soups are very forgiving so I rarely use a recipe and just wing it. Low sodium stocks, canned diced tomatoes, barley, dried shitake mushrooms and a stick blender - always on hand for soup.

• demifloyd
    10 years ago

Soup made from cabbage, small new potatoes, and ham/ham bone to flavor is one of our favorites.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay good - yes I saw some recipes with potatoes, cabbage, tomatoes and that kind of thing so I will take a closer look at those. I don't mind a few beans thrown in with other stuff like great northern beans for example. It's the full blown bean or split pea soup that just about makes me gag.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Not really a soup, but do you think you might like red beans and rice? The ham bone is used for stock to cook the beans, which are more or less a sauce for the rice. I use loads of celery, onion, & green pepper with the ham & beans & will even throw in frozen kale or collards or grated carrots to beef up the veggie content. And we serve it on brown rice.

Mmmmm, think I'll make some for the blizzard tonight.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

We love this Broccoli Ham and Cheddar Soup. Does this sound like something that might appeal to you and your family?

I usually double or even quadruple the recipe as it freezes well. I use home made broth rather than a bullion cube though.

As the recipe notes, it's very flexible in the amounts of ham, mushroom and broccoli you can add so if you have a lot of ham go ahead and throw in extra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broccoli Ham and Cheddar Soup

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

awm, I do like red beans and rice - that's a good idea. deedee - that soup sounds great but I think it might be a little rich and cheesy for DH's taste.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Do you/DH like cabbage? My Mom would boil the bone with cabbage(shredded, but not finely), and small new potatoes. I think she used beef stock(can), giving more flavor to the broth. Salt/pepper to your taste.

This isn't a 'soupy' soup, more like chunky, but very tasty.

• cooperbailey
    10 years ago

I made red beans and rice from a ham bone tonight. I always use the recipe from Emeril's book Louisiana Real and Rustic. Perfect with homemade French bread to sop up the liquid. One of our favs!

This post was edited by cooperbailey on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 0:09

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

I totally forgot about a good potato soup. Or cream corn. Soups are a given during our winter.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    10 years ago

gibby, "a little rich and cheesy" ... why, that's just how I like my men and my soup. :)

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thought I would share the recipe for the soup I finally ended up making with the ham bone. It was much better than I expected. I will make it again likely with ham hock as called for in the recipe since I rarely have a whole ham around.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soup recipe