Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpen

Slip and Fall

Bethpen
9 years ago

Yesterday I was hurrying out to start the car so we could get to the chiropractor on time and slipped on some invisible ice outside my garage. Bam!

Quick trip to the ER (with 10 other slip and fall victims), I fractured the radial head in my arm. I'm so bummed! The ER doc said I'd need to be in a sling for 3-6 weeks, which means no work (I work in the medical records dept at a health center and it is all computer work). I see the ortho Tuesday, so I will know better then. He is also a friend and skiing with our family this weekend so he may take a peek while we're here.

The kind of good news is that if I'm not working I can at least go for walks once it settles down a little. Eating left handed has been a challenge so far so maybe that will slow me down as well! I have a dear friend starting chemo today, not as a cure, but to make her more comfortable for the inevitable. A busted up arm is a piece of cake in comparison.

Comments (24)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm so sorry you hurt yourself... being laid up for awhile is not fun. At least you'll have the time to spend with your friend who I'm sure will appreciate your company. Heal fast.

You might try the Plumflower Great Mender Tea Pills that my acupuncturist neighbor recommended...they sure made me feel better....

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

Oh dear - icy winter conditions are such a hazard. That concerns me every year. What doesn't concern me is missing the last step going downstairs and crashing on the knee of my one and only real leg. Did that four weeks ago. I think I am pretty much recovered. Going to resume my exercise regime tomorrow so that will be the real test.

Need to be careful out there!

• hhireno
    9 years ago

Oh wow, that's too bad. Be sure to follow orders so you heal properly. Note to self: be careful out there!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

I am so sorry, Beth! Having worked in orthopedics for many years, I know how important it is to keep that arm immobilized so that it heals properly. Fractures like that can't be casted, so it's the weighted, immobilized hanging that keeps your broken bone aligned so that it can heal correctly. Unfortunately, if you're right-handed, this makes eating, writing and just about anything else very challenging. Been there myself with the two surgeries I had last year on my right hand and then the fall and fracture of my left hand in between.
    A couple of the many helpful suggestions I received here or discovered myself (the hard way) are:
    ~ yoga and sweat pants make getting dressed by yourself so much easier, as do slip on shoes. Socks, on the other hand, were a nightmare to get on.
    ~ a good quality pair of poultry shears was a godsend for me! Being right-handed, I could NOT get my regular (right-handed) kitchen shears or scissors to cut. But, the way poultry shears are designed, they worked fine with my left hand. I used them for cutting and preparing foods and for cutting anything else, as well. Here's the link to my thread last year here about how I managed without my right hand:
    "Tales and Helpful Hints From a One-Handed Cook"
    ~ And here's the link to all the GREAT helpful suggestions my fellow GWers gave me. "Great Suggestions"
    I hope some of them will be of help to you, too, Beth.
    Lynn

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear that Beth. I hope it heals quickly. It sounds like you have a great attitude, but I'm sure it must be a royal pain. Sounds like Lynn has some helpful tips. Make sure you ask for help when you need it and take care of yourself.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Geeez, sorry to here this. Take care.

ML

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Ouch! The next few weeks won't be fun but you'll get through it....hang in there!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, no! Rest up and heal quickly!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

So sorry, Beth! Rest up and take it easy. Lynn is right, and I remember her hints. I hope you heal quickly. Darn ice! We had a nightmare of a morning here in the south too. My root canal pales in comparison to your injury, but it was a crappy start to the day.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear that, I hope you have the speediest of recoveries. I broke my wrist in August and still can't close my hand so having hand surgery next Thurs. I'm going to read Lynn's link on dealing with one hand, I should be a pro by now but, boy I drop everything lol.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    9 years ago

I'm going to think lovely, positive thoughts for you:
    Cozy by the fire on chilly mornings when you'd normally be trudging off to work.
    Sandwiches, chips, coffee, cookies, chocolates, are all deliciously easy with either hand. Soup in a mug and hot cocoa, too. Pages of a book or device...one hand, ditto the t.v clicker.
    Oh darn! I forgot you may have to forego many a favorite household chore!
    But I am so sorry for the pain. That's no joke . Wishing you a fast recovery.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Ouch! Oh, that stinks. But at least it's a good time of year to hibernate, as Martinca suggests.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Beth, prayers and good thoughts for speedy healing!

• springroz
    9 years ago

Praying for a quick healing!

• springroz
    9 years ago

Praying for a quick healing!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Oh, you poor dear! I fell in a month or so ago on a wet spot in our garage so I know the pain. I was "lucky" and hit knees first so only inured my left hand enough that there was a lot of pain, but with care, it's almost healed now. Never kept me from doing anything other than taking it easy with what I gripped. I'm right handed so it wasn't too bad.
    I do know what it's like to lose the use of your dominant hand/arm because mine had just healed when I fell. It took six months to get the full use of my arm back. The injury came from working over my head caulking the seams in the ceiling. I'll share that project once I feel brave enough to finish it.
    If you need to work, you could always look into buying a speak to type if you don't need your right hand for anything other than typing.
    Again, I'm so sorry for your injury.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

So sorry to hear of your fall. Speedy recovery to you. Let us know what the ortho has to say.

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Doing OK, a lot better than I was right after it happened. I'm trying hard to keep it still, though it is harder than I thought it would be. I ordered the mending tea pills, why not?

I have a book to read, dogs to snuggle and a warm fire here in NH. Once I get home I will definitely be more irritated that I can't do much.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Beth!

Ouch! Sorry that happened!!!
    Take care of yourself & snuggle the dogs well. What kinds do you have? Maybe post a pic of yourself, sling and all, with your brood/"nurses"?! Lol!

On Saturday here in Fargo, there was rain overnight Friday. Wow! The neighborhood was an ice-rink! It was my wknd to work, so when I backed-out of the garage, I slightly goosed it, hit the brakes, and slid all the way down to the street!

Wheeeee!
    (yes...I am 53. ;-))

Faron

• chickadee2_gw
    9 years ago

Ouch! I had the same injury from a fall a couple of years ago. The first few days were rough. The ER nurses put a light cast on it until I saw the orthopedic doctor. He took off the cast and said the best thing for the arm was to use it so I wouldn't lose any range of motion. I had to do some physical therapy exercises with weights and stretching. Sometimes I'd forget all about the fracture and then I'd lift a plate or something in the kitchen and be reminded with a sharp pain. All in all, since there was no cast and I only wore a sling for a little bit, it wasn't so bad. It's important to stretch those tendons or ligaments. That's where the pain is coming from as you recover.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

oh no! heal soon!

• mitchdesj
    9 years ago

so sorry to hear that, good luck for a prompt healing !!

• Bethpen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! My nurses are great. The Lab, Sampson, belongs to my sister and Oscar the Frenchie is ours. Sampson is a lot more sympathetic...

The orthopedic doc said pretty much what Chickadee's did. I am to use the sling for comfort, but stretch and use the elbow slowly. He will take new X-rays next week, and if all is healing well I will be able to head back to work hopefully before long. No waffle making for a while though, luckily our employees seem to be handling it well!

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

I am so sorry! Glad to hear that there may be good news on the horizon.

The pups are lovely . . .

Thinking about your friend.