Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tibbrix

Walloped!

tibbrix
9 years ago

Thank goodness for sliding doors! Awoke this morning to every egress door blocked by 3 - 4 ft. snow drifts. Could not get the front door open at all, so I started shoveling from inside my kitchen, where I have a sliding door. Thank goodness, also, I had the sense to bring the shovel inside yesterday!

Managed to get a 3-feet-deep by 14 inches by 20 feet pathway to a windblown grassy area (all the snow of which has been blown up onto my deck and around my house) just so the poor little Bichon could pee this morning.

Storm is still going strong, winds are brutal, but by some miracle, we have not lost power. Hunkering down for the day.

Boston got his less hard than expected ,the Cape harder.

I hope NH can get out today for a walk down Charles St. and around Beacon Hill, which is SO pretty in the snow.

Comments (69)

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kids digging forts outside my porch

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wind! Kitchen door

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Welcome to Sunny Cape Cod!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My poor shed. Good thing I hauled a bunch of firewood into the house from the shed!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linen, I am completely snowed in, and it continues to snow, no letup at all. I'm ready for it to stop!

I also just happened to hang one of my pooper scoopers up on a nail on the front porch, which I've never done before. Good thing! The other one is completely buried. Of course, I can't get OUT or TO the front doorâ¦so I guess it's actually pointless that I hung the pooper scooper to keep it from getting buried!

My front door. Won't be using it until May, I think!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wow, Tib! Those drifts are something. I remember similar ones in PA when I was a kid. I am so impressed with the path you shoveled! I can't imagine. Those are all terrific pics. Makes me cold just looking at them, although I really would like to have one big storm here this year. I love snow!

As usual, we got nothing really here in northern VA, but we did get the day off from school. Ha.

Stay warm.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And it's still snowing. We're stuck in an eddy here on the Cape.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Oh, Tibbrix! My heart goes out to you. I don't ever recall a storm hitting the Cape this hard. Stay safe, my friend.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TY, Bonnieann. Kind of you to say that.

I also don't recall anything like this, to this degree. I've been in one snowstorm "hurricane" before, on the Outer Cape, and it was insane, but no where near the amount snow this one has dumped, let alone the ridiculous drifts, which are above my door handles now.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

I have friends in Duxbury (MA), Newport (RI), and near Concord (NH). I've been checking on them all day. Not a one dared to ask me how the weather was in Spring, TX today...
    K

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

I'm now watching Brian Williams' coverage of the storm in your general area on the national evening news. Run out there and wave to us, will you (lol)? Hoping all of you affected by this storm stay safe and warm. My heart goes out to you now and during the cleanup after. Yikes!
    Lynn

• smalloldhouse
    9 years ago

Do you mind sharing which part of the Cape you're in, generally speaking, Tibbrix? My family has a house in Orleans that is closed up for winter. I'm afraid to imagine what it must look like now.

I grew up in central Mass where they apparently got 30+ inches today. Your photos remind me of the Blizzard of 78! Now I'm just outside DC and they cancelled my kids' school today for just a dusting of snow.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in Barnstable. The Outer and Lower Cape wasn't hit nearly as hard. If their house isn't on the water, it's fine. Tides have been an issue, though. Nantucket is flooded.

The real jackpot, in addition to Nantucket, is really Plymouth County to Mid-Cape. kaboehm's friends in Duxbury, for example, probably got hit hard. I'm right smack in the middle.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 20:17

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Wish we had that snow!!!

Looks average for Fargo...except THIS winter here, I might as well go rake the yard now!! I've seen a few 6" drifts....;-)

....if ONLY I could get the $13,000 Arctic-Cat snowmobile I've been lusting after. You guys would see me roaring all over the place!

Faron

• camlan
    9 years ago

I live in southern, coastal New Hampshire. Right now at 9 pm, it is still snowing, and the wind is still howling.

The current estimate is about 28-29 inches of snow. I've been out four times today to shovel a path to the driveway, and Pete the Plow Guy has come by three times to plow the driveway. (He got cookies the last time--I've been baking up a storm today, in between attempts to work from home.) I admit that I'm getting tired of digging the car out of 4 foot drifts of snow.

I was out for half an hour the last time, and the wind and snow totally obscured my footprints by the time I headed back inside.

Fortunately, only about 100 homes have lost power, so everyone is safe and warm. Higher than usual tides along the coast, but other than a temporary seawall washing away, no real reports of damage yet.

And a huge thank you to all the plow guys, the utility crews on standby and the medical people who had to get to work today. None of them have easy jobs, and today must have been just awful.

• bonnieann925
    9 years ago

Tib, has it stopped yet? It has stopped here and clean-up action is in full swing. Hope you are ok.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went to bed at 10:00 and it hadn't stopped.

It is now sunny andâ¦NOT SNOWING!! And at least the snow that fell last night is very fluffy. But the first path I shoveled filled in with another three feet of snow for the fourth time.

I have no idea when I'll see my car again. That side of the house is an unmitigated disaster. I have no idea how my plow guy is going to clear my (long) driveway.

I'll take more pics today. My neighbor and i were on the phone last night expressing our amazement at what was going on here (and we are born and bred hearty New Englanders) and declared the lack of the loss of power to be an inexplicable miracle.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

We ended up with about 2' of snow just outside Boston. School is cancelled again and the city is "closed" so DH is working from home again. I think it's just going to take a little extra time to move this snow around and clear sidewalks and parking lots, etc. Fortunately, we didn't lose power and DH didn't have a heart attack while shoveling (while I supervised from inside, drinking coffee by the fire).

Anyone want to come over for a BBQ?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Anyone see a white dog?

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

And our pet rabbit.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is his name "Rocky" as opposed to the usual "Fluffy"?

• violetwest
    9 years ago

oh my goodness! stay safe and warm!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Morning after pics. Sorry, one at a time.

Do you see a white dog here as well?

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Almost to the tippity-tops of the huge glass sliding doors

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some day I'm sure I'll drive again

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Driveway. No idea how he's going to get it cleared

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deliveries to the rear entrance, please! Front entrance and walkway are out of commission until June!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Oh goodness, Tibb! I'm so sorry for your dilemma, but I'm sure it was good to see the sunshine this morning and so glad you have POWER. So glad you have a bit of a path out the door. Walloped indeed! Stay warm and safe!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had to use my hairdryer to get the door open this morning. It froze shut. Lol.

I can deal since we didn't lose power .That is everything, IMO.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

TIbb, your comment about losing power reminded me of these charts (see link).

I bet the snow drifts down near the ocean make quite a view!

{{gwi:2134134}}

Here is a link that might be useful: comedy snow charts

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol, mtn. Yes, that pretty much sums it up!

• cran
    9 years ago

Tib here is a picture of the house across the street for us
    Looks like we got about the same amount of snow as you. We
    Are in the mid cape area At least the sun is shinning and
    We'll get a good cardio workout!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cran, yep. I'm in the MidCape, but on the border of the Mid and Upper. Those drifts! My entire driveway and front yard to the front door is covered in four-feet of snow and the drift on the other side of the house is more than halfway up the huge glass sliding doors on my porch.

Dog will pee where I've shoveled for her, but she refuses to poop. I've told her owners she might look like a blow fish by the time she gets home!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Wow. My relatives in Maine got hammered, too. We are supposed to break a record here today with temperatures over 80 degrees. Crazy global warming weather extremes. Stay safe!

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'm in Scituate, Ma., our town got slammed. So much damage to the stores and the harbor area not to mention the homes. The photos are horrific. We're cozy and warm. DH spent two hours snowplowing, we have an acre and he wants access to everything. It's all cleared now. We couldn't get out any doors either so he went out through the cellar. Better days are coming and we have electricity so we're happy.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh wow, yayagal. Yes, Scituate and Nantucket I think had it the worst. Those high tidesâ¦Scituate and floodingâ¦.Ugh. I'm glad you're okay.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

We built in a 55+ community, moving in last May. It's in the city I've lived in my entire life, so I've been through my share of snow storms. Many of our neighbors are not from the area, so this storm was a shock. The wonderful part of living in this development is our HOA takes care of plowing the roads, driveways, even our walkway and stairs. Since we are not home (still in Boston awaiting DHs knee surgery), several neighbors have sent us photos of our home.

We live at the beginning of a small cul de sac. This shot is from the street. We've been told we received 30" of snow. Think they did a nice job.
    {{gwi:2134135}}

This is from the street heading toward the cul de sac. Our house is located to the right of this. We might be able to see our neighbors houses by June.
    {{gwi:2134136}}

A neighbor behind us shared this one of the backside of our house. Before the deck was cleared, the snow had drifted above the window to the left of the door. Loving the blue sky!
    {{gwi:2134137}}

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Glad the sun is shining Tib. The snow is beautiful but not beautiful enough for me to be jealous of it!

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Had to share one more photo. A neighbor posted this on Facebook of their cul de sac. Considering she is from Texas, I'm glad she's finding humor in our New England weather.
    {{gwi:2134138}}

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

These are great photos .. . Trib and Sue, I was thinking maybe you needed to dye the doggies so they don't get lost in the snow! (You, too, Holly-Kay, with your Havanese!)

The snow I could stomach (not welcome, like Faron) since I've been through a few blizzards, but the flooding on top of it, in January? Oh my goodness . . .that is just too much. I really feel for the people suffering through that, including all of those who are employed or volunteer in helping others stay safe. Glad that all of you here are OK (as Mtn showed with that hilarious sign-- you have Internet access!!!).

• peegee
    9 years ago

And now, prepare for round 2.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yup. I heard more than a foot of snow on Monday.

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Hoping we can bring DH home tomorrow, 1. To watch the Super Bowl and, 2. To avoid the snow on Monday. I got home late today. Since we moved into our new house in May, this was the first time seeing it with a huge amount of snow. I can't image another 10-12" on Monday. Oy Vey!

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

nh, heavy snow is supposed to be south, not so much Boston and north.

But I hope your husband can get home tomorrow and watch the game in his own home. IF he has a temper tantrum, they'll let him go home. ;-)

Go Pats!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Here in Boston we are hearing 8-14". Might as well cancel school for Monday now so the kids can stay up for the whole Super Bowl!

DS (college student) is in OH visiting his GF and hoping his train back to NY early Monday won't be delayed. Maybe these kids should check the forecast before they make plans. Sigh.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

Oh happy day, NOT!!!! They say another foot of snow between Sunday and Monday. It better be plowed by Tues. as I have to get my stitches out. I will say I am enjoying reading and no company lol.

• tibbrix
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sueb and Yaya, has the forecast shifted northward? Sounds like it. I read 7 - 11 inches for Boston and 3 - 5 here (Cape) which is a change from what I originally heard, that the south coast was going to get the worst while Boston north not so bad. But then, someone here told me yesterday they heard a foot or more here.

Yaya, that is why I always email my plow guy and tell him I am not a priority and to pow my driveway when it's best for his schedule (unless I really HAVE to get out). Doctors, nurses, business owners, people with doctors apptsâ¦.get them out first. I work from home so I should be last on the list.

And yeah, Scituate gets hit so hard. How are the tides going to cooperateâ¦or notâ¦in this latest?

• yayagal
    9 years ago

We always get plowed in a timely manner as we have two doctors living on the street. Tides will behave this time Tib. lol