Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellendi_gw

6 degrees here

ellendi
10 years ago

I love winter. I never understand why people talk about snow or cold weather in the winter, after all it's WINTER!
But 6 degrees.....?

Comments (17)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

ellendi - where is your *here*? right now 6 degrees would feel like a heat wave to me - we're at -16, north suburban Chicago. We'll be in the 30's by the weekend, thankfully. It's all relative to what your winter normal is, isn't it?!

• camlan
    10 years ago

Ah, we're at a balmy 10 degrees here, in New Hampshire. Which wouldn't be so bad, but yesterday it got up to 49. It was nice, because some of the snow melted, but dangerous because there was massive fog and driving was, shall we say, interesting, when you couldn't see more than 100 feet in front of you.

But we've had nothing like the cold that the mid-west has been having, and for that I'm grateful. I can deal with the snow and the ice and the fog and the dreaded "wintery mix."

• springroz
    10 years ago

It is 4 or so here in southern Kentucky. It would be wonderful if the -25 windchill Sunday night had not taken out one of our pipes!

I moved here from southeast Texas because I like 4 seasons, instead of 2-summer, and February! And in TX in Feb., something always broke!

Nancy

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

Minus 10 here today - warmed up from yesterday.

• ellendi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Show offs! :)

Dlm, I' am in New York. (Westchester County)

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I was going to skip the gym today but finally got motivated to leave the house. Before I could turn off the display screen, my car outside temp display showed 4. I turn the display off on extreme hot or cold days, it doesn't help me to know the actual number. Hot is hot, cold is cold, I get it. I am 60ish miles NW of Philly.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It was 7 here in the Carolinas. It has not been this cold in over 20 years. We have a crawlspace, so we had to open the sink doors and drip the faucets. We woke up to no hot water, so that was pretty scary. We called the plumbers, we have a tankless water heater outside, so they said take the cover off and warm the water line with a hair dryer. Luckily that worked. Whew, dodged huge emergency there.

Now they said to stuff an old sweatshirt in the open bottom of the cover to keep the cold air from getting in there. Luckily, we have not started classes yet, so I can work from home today and keep an eye on it. I will go to the gym.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I am in DC metro area....3 degrees right now with wind chill of 13 below. Much to everyone's surprise our schools opened on time this morning. I work for the schools but our garage door is stuck and I can't get out. DH is working from home and couldn't fix it and waaaay too cold to be out there trying! I tried to poke my head out the slider to see what 13 below felt like and it wouldn't open either!

• lyfia
    10 years ago

16 degrees in Central TX outskirts when I left for work this morning, but is now in the upper twenties. Thankfully it is warming up again and we should hopefully see 70's this weekend. It has been to me a very cold winter here in TX. Ie more cold fronts than usual. February usually gives as an ice-storm, and before that there will be some cold fronts, but seems like we've had a weekly one since end of November.

I moved here as I don't like the cold - and this year I've been reminded of that too many times. At least when I lived in a northern climate I had the clothes for it.

Was very thankful I decided to get the Lands End kids jacket that has a zip in fleece jacket so at least my daughter wouldn't be so cold yesterday and today. First time we've used the fleece since we bought it in 2012.

• deegw
    10 years ago

It's late morning here in SE Georgia and we are at 24 degrees with bright sunshine. It's not unusual for us to hit the 20s at night but usually the temperatures rise quickly once the sun comes up.

We're supposed to hit 70 on Saturday!!!

My college junior DD, who HATES the cold, had her very first 8am class of her college career and it was -2. She said God was trying to send her a message. I'm not sure if it was "get back in bed" or "this is what you get for postponing adulthood for so long".

• maddielee
    10 years ago

31 on my lanai when we woke this morning. Currently 40. Tampa.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but our contractor is here installing a french door to the patio which means its cold (61) in the house. He offered to do it another day but because of numerous mistakes by the manufacturer we have been waiting for this door to be in since the day after Thanksgiving. I really want it done for a party we are having on Thursday.

ML

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

We're having our day of winter here in Miami, it's 57 degrees which is even more shocking since it's been unbelievably warm all season. The subtropical definition of winter is when the daily low is And yes I know this is the obnoxious sunshine state post for the day!!!!

Ann

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Its a sunny +3 degrees in Chicago's southwest suburbs.

• chispa
    10 years ago

We also had sixes for our temperature ... but it was 66! Average for this time of year in the LA area. Warmer than this time last year and we haven't had any rain either, which isn't good.

Only moved here a few years ago from the northeast and I really do not miss the snow and very cold temps. Should be around 70 by the weekend.

• chispa
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by chispa on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 23:22

• partst
    10 years ago

gsciencechick,

IâÂÂver never posted in this forum but I come by and read every so often. We had that happen to our tankless water heaters also DH put a pipe heating cable on both of them. They have a thermostat so they come on and go off by themselves. HavenâÂÂt had a problem since.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pipe Heating Cable with Thermostat

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Our HIGH in Fargo today was -4 I believe!

At 10:30pm CST here, I was out for ~20 min., scraping/sweeping on the driveway...temp was @ -9.
    No/little wind, so it was actually kinda nice!

Local weather stations say we're gonna get down to ~ -20-22 overnight. Last night of it though!!

Faron

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz