Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Inheritable Insanity?

Annie Deighnaugh
11 years ago

My mother had to wear both regular glasses and reading glasses. And she was forever looking for at least one of them. Despite having multiple pairs, her glasses would always go missing. She said she spent half her life looking for her glasses, and I believed her.

I am nearsighted so need my glasses to see far, but read without them. So I too am taking them off frequently, usually near where I'm doing close work, like the sofa to read or the kitchen to cook.

Thurs, DH was going to the gym and I went out to get the newspapers and looked up and noticed the pretty sunrise...which I could not have seen without my glasses on. He left and I made breakfast, cleaned up, took care of the cat, took a shower and got dressed as my GFs were coming in the a.m. for a visit. After I put my make up on...I went to put on my glasses. Gone. I mentioned it to DH when he came home and we have since not been able to find them anywhere.

I didn't leave the house....I had them in the morning and within 90 min with no one else around, they vanished. We have looked in all the likely and the unlikely places at this point (through the hamper in case they got wound up in a shirt, etc.) No glasses.

Either my dear dead mother is playing a trick on me or I've inherited her curse of the missing glasses. Perhaps I need to do what she always said worked for her...prayed to St. Anthony!

If anyone sees my glasses, please let me know!

Comments (60)

• chispa
    11 years ago

I'm nearsighted too, and after years of glasses and contacts I had the Lasik procedure done on my eyes about 8 years ago. Best money spent! It is great not having to wear glasses for driving and outdoor sports. Snow skiing and scuba diving are much better without having to deal with contacts or prescription googles/masks.

Of course, now I'm getting older and need glasses for reading too! I have a pair if readers in my purse for reading menus in dark restaurants. Luckily we can now adjust the font sizes on our computers and kindles!!

• Oakley
    11 years ago

Gibby, I was given bifocals in high school, but only used them for reading. I would run into things if I wore them all the time.

A few years ago the doctor gave me the progessive glasses, and I CANNOT get used to them. I'm mostly far-sighted so I buy the cheapie reading glasses.

But I got to thinking the other day. The progressive glasses from the doctor are in a smallish frame. Could that be the problem? Do the work better in large frames?

OTOH, I also bought the progressive in sunglasses which do have a large frame. The only problem with those is that I feel like I'm sitting sky high off the road when I'm driving! lol.

And here's what confuses me. I've asked people who are wearing glasses if they're progressives or bifocals. They all said no. So how can you wear glasses full time if they don't have one of those lenses?

The good thing about cheapie reading glasses is I can afford to keep a pair in every room! lol

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Get progressives and you will be stunned at how clearly you can see at all distances. With single vision lenses you're always making do with a focal range. It's one of the reasons that I think people don't "like wearing glasses".

I recently broke the frame on my progressives and they need to go back the factory in CA for repair. I have single vision readers and driving glasses but it is so annoying - and I spend so much time looking for one or the other - that I still haven't sent the progressives back for repair because I can't quite face the necessary two weeks without them. So I'm wearing them despite the fact that one temple is completely broken off.

If the progressives weren't so expensive (and the good ones really are pricey) I'd have a spare pair and not have to face this occasional crisis.

Once you get used to them you put them on in the a.m. and never think about them until you're falling asleep. I occasionally wake up and find them still on my face if I fall asleep while reading.

I use croakies to hold them on when on the water, even though my frame style has earpieces that curve completely around my ears to hold them in place at all the weird angles the head of farm gal can get to.

L.

• blfenton
    11 years ago

I was going to ask you if you had looked on the top of your head. I have avoided propping my reading glasses up there because that does spell old-lady to me. Same with the chain around the neck idea. I wear progressive glasses and have no troubles with getting used to them. When I wear my contacts I use reading glasses.

The price of living a long time. Siiiigh.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Have you looked in the shower? I have accidentally worn my glasses into the shower, took them off when I realized I could see, and then left them on the shelf. Hope they turn up soon.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I've tried but cannot wear progressives. I wear two kinds of bifocals now. One pair has driving/reading and the other pair is computer/reading. The computer/reading was a MAJOR qualify of life booster, lol. Before I had those, I went crazy trying to deal with eye problems at the pc, where I spend the bulk of my day.

The only time I ever lost my glasses for any length of time, they turned up, a week later, in a pile of laundry. Don't ask me how they got there, but that is where they were. I'd also check the trash if you haven't done so. You went out to get the mail and if you are like everyone else, you came back in and began discarding the junk mail! Good luck!

• 3katz4me
    11 years ago

Yes Oakley, I think it can be hard to get useable progressives in a smaller lens. I've had some opticians tell me no on a small lens and others say yes. I had one smaller pair and they worked but now that I have slightly larger frames I realize they're much better.

Sometimes you have to go back for a lot of adjustments to get the progressives right.

"Younger" people who are either nearsighted or farsighted but not both don't need progressive lenses to wear their glasses full time.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

YES to LASIK surgery.

Agree it was totally worth it !!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I have astigmatism so need prescription reading glasses,....but Zenni is amazing!
    7 dollars for a pair of prescription glasses? That is the total cost of the cheap ones (frame, lense), the price goes by frame style and type of lenses ( progressives cost more, so do special coatings), but I have 4 pair under $12 that all look cool, are flattering ( just as nice as my $$Kate Spade ones from the eye doctor) and are so nice to have laying around.

Dh ordered progressives from them, he paid around 60, and he wears them all the time.

I have several pair of prescription sunglasses, all under $20.... sunglass tint cost $4.95...

I'll have to reach 80 before I get an eyeglass lanyard.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm concerned about ordering glasses. Once I took my Rx to Pearle vision and of course the first time it took a week to fulfill the order...so much for the 1hr wait....but I couldn't see with them...everything was distorted and wonky. So I asked my eye doc and he said they used the wrong base to make the lens. So I took them back and supposedly within an hour, they miraculously fixed them...yeah right....if it took a week the first time, how come they miraculously got a different lens in in an hour....I got them back and they weren't any different....such a rip as I paid big bucks for them.

So now I only fill the Rx via my eye doc.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

DH learned the hard way about going to those chain glasses places. Now he only gets his lens from Costco or our optrician.

We lost the remote to our new 'smart' TV shortly after we got it. I looked for weeks for that stupid thing, and was about to order a replacement when a young visitor came over and was able to stick his arm DEEEEP into the back of the sofa and pulled out that remote (along with dozens of pens, a couple pairs of DH's reading glasses and a bottle of RX pills!) I'd dug in those crevices half a dozen times, but never that deep. I'd even gone so far as to turn the sofa over and feel along the covering in case it'd fallen down there, but it had just been stuck between the edge of the seat & the back. So you might need to do that, check deeply in the crevices of your upholstered pieces.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well yesterday we ripped the sofa apart, moved it vacuumed behind it which needed it, and went through it all...no glasses.

Maybe it's a poltergeist!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

The whole point of the zenni glasses is the price, you can have lots of glasses around and if you lose or break one, it's no loss. You still have to get the exam locally.
    They run specials too, buy 2 get one free, that sort of thing.
    I'm going to post a picture of my glasses later.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I also had Lasic surgery right after my twins were born. I found that I couldn't wear contacts anymore and I was so nearsighted that I couldn't see without my glasses. My vision went from 20/200 to 20/15. Wow, I had never been able to see like that even with glasses.

Best thing I have ever done for myself.

Within a couple of years I had to start using reading glasses. I get the cheapies from the Mart and have them scattered all over the house. They don't bother me.

I lose things too Annie and have been known to find things in the refrigerator or my shoe shelf in my closet.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

This is intriguing. Where did they go? I can't wait to hear where you find them.

And, yes, you do have to ask St. Anthony for help. He's always a very reliable helper. In case you don't remember it: St. Anthony, St. Anthony, look around, look around, Annie's glasses are lost, and cannot be found.

If you don't need them to read, you probably took them off to read something or look closely at something and set them down. Here are some places to check, just in case you haven't looked there yet:
    linen closet, pantry, kitchen cabinets, on a bookshelf, in a medicine cabinet, in the garage, in the sewing basket.

One sure way to locate them would be to buy another pair.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still no glasses, though I find I am far more mindful of where I'm putting my current pair. I still have a pair of dress glasses too, so I'm ok, but am still in a mystery...

I have searched the linen closet and the bag with my crochet squares that I'm currently working on...still no dice. I'm sure they'll turn up eventually...probably in many years when I'm dead and someone is cleaning out the house, they'll come across them and say, what an odd place to put glasses!

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

I feel your pain, Annie. I'm solving some vision challenges of my own, and it has not been fun!

Were you wearing a robe when you were cleaning up the kitchen, etc? Could they be in the pocket? How about your recycling or garbage?

We went to Paris in Sept. & when I got there, went to take off my contacts & couldn't find my glasses...apparently they fell out of my backpack on the plane. So, now I have a pair I bought in Paris....$$$, but cute! I have bad eyes.

• tinam61
    11 years ago

Too funny Annie! Hope you find them.

Thankfully, I only have a slight problem with distance. I wear glasses usually only when driving at night or in rain, etc. or at a movie/concert/etc. I cannot wear those glasses all the time (nor would I want to). They make close up things blurry.

Bumble, I think the concern may have been about the quality of the glasses ordered. If you know a good that makes glasses, that's a good thing. My sis takes her prescript to a certain lab in town - gets a good price. I have only bought through my eye doctor. We do have vision insurance though, so that helps.

tina

• Happyladi
    11 years ago

I'm an optician and I agree about trying progressives. I am also nearsighted and can see up close without glasses but I love my progressives. If I'm just sitting and reading I often take them off but it's so nice to be able to see at all distances clearly with my glasses on.

It's MUCH easier to get used to progressives if you don't wait, the lower the add power the less the sides will be blurry and the larger the reading area.

Most places guarantee progressives, they will remake into regular bifocals or single vision at no additional cost. There are also well over 100 different progressives out there and some are much better then others. Fit is very important, if the measurements are off they don't work well.

We only refit about 2% of our progressives into something else.

Please try them and if you get them, wear as much as possible for the first two weeks. The more you wear them the more comfortable they will be.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've checked the shoe bins, the pockets, went through the laundry, and DH checked the recycle bin before he put them out for recycling...

No glasses!

• maddielee
    11 years ago

Order and pay in full for new glasses.

I guarantee you will then find the lost ones.

ML

• happyintexas
    11 years ago

I hate it when I can't find something I JUST had.

In October, we arrived back home after a road trip. As I often do, I'd slipped my sandals off in the car. When we pulled up in the driveway, I picked them up, a couple of magazines, and a couple of other things and my purse. I dropped one of the sandals in the garage and my son picked it up for me. By the time I got to my bedroom, the other shoe was gone. G.O.N.E.

Retraced steps. Searched the car. Searched the trash can (just in case) Searched, searched, searched. I was totally bummed because I really liked that pair of sandals--so much so that I kept the remaining one. I'm glad I did since I found the other one wedged up against a bookcase in my bedroom shortly before Christmas.

I have no idea how it got there...I suspect elves.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

I couldn't find my AMX card. I looked everywhere. I called the last store where I had used it. I dumped out my purse (that was scary), I searched my car. Nothing. I called to report it lost and a new card with new number was being sent to me. About an hour later, I put my hand in my pocket. I still don't know why I put it there, but there it was.

I guess I am now going to have to get a chain to hang around my neck with my credit card attached :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Perhaps I need to go back to the 1st grade when they tied our mittens together through the coat sleeves and pinned notes to bring home to mom to our shirts....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I cannot believe you haven't found them. I suspect I speak for all of us when I say I can't wait to hear where they turn up! I am also quite relieved to hear everyone's stories. Marlene, I have done the same thing. I understand PANIC now! DH bought a thing from REI to hold his around his neck. It looks fine-even sort of cool. On me, that would just reinforce the "old lady" look. *sigh*

Hope you find them. Did you check the car? I have tossed mine on the passenger seat and walked into the house wearing my sunglasses...which, btw, I can't find. Think I left them in the car I traded this week. So pathetic.

• marlene_2007
    11 years ago

Oh, Cyn, that's not so bad. Wait until you have to pin the post it note reminders to your sweater (or blouse). I write post its for EVERYTHING and forget where I put them or that I have even written them. Now I date them. Of course, it's not unusual to find one in my purse dated 6 months earlier. And, of course, the list still has reminders that I forgot.

Of course, there is the one time I actually stuck the post it to my sweater...just for a second...or so I thought. However, I forgot I had put it there. I then left the house to go to the market. I got some odd looks. :-)

I do agree that I am looking forward to where THE glasses are, Annie :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to finding the glasses too!

8-)

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

For many years, if I have something to do or stop to pick up, I will write a post-it-note and staple it around my purse handle. Usually works...

Can't wait to hear where you find the glasses!

• hhireno
    11 years ago

I used to have a great little clip that hung from my key chain. It was perfect for attaching notes to myself. It rusted & broke and I've never been able to find anything as perfect, and I've purchased half a dozen things trying to recreate it.

Here's my lost item story:
    I came home from our HHI place and could not find the only keys to the villa. I always slide them into the same interior pocket of my purse. I emptied my purse - one than once, I searched my suitcase, I called my brother to ask him to check his car, as he had given me a ride to the airport. Nothing. I even went so far as to call our new HHI neighbor to ask them to check if I could have possibly left them hanging in the front door (that didn't make sense but I was desperate). Might as well clue them in early that I'm a nut case and they'll need to be prepared to be my neighbor. Still no keys. Oh my goodness, such frustration when these things happen.

Days later I reach into the little make-up pouch in my purse and there they are. The pouch is silver mesh and the keys were silver. I guess each time I took the pouch out my the purse when I emptied by purse, I didn't see or feel the keys. I keep the pouch unzipped in my purse so that I can just reach in and pull out my lipstick. For days, I never felt the keys when reaching for my lipstick. I guess St. Anthony was finally able to get me to remove the pouch and all the contents of the pouch in order to find the keys.

I now have multiple sets of keys to the place, and one set with the neighbor, so I don't have to experience that panic again.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Annie --> This was a hot item in this years CES show
    http://sticknfind.com/product/

This may just do the trick :)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Annie, have you packed any boxes to donate? Worked on any project out in the garage? Looked in the car under the seats, above the visor, between the seats? Dumped everything out of your purse? Checked in/under furniture? Asked if one of your friends picked them up by mistake? I could go on......since i'm a pro at 'misplacing' my 2 pair of glasses OR one of the 2 land-line phones.

And hhireno, I have done the exact same thing!!

• graywings123
    11 years ago

GWLolo - OMG, that is a wonderful invention. Still too large for eyeglasses, but perfect for so many things.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stick and Find

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks patty cakes, but I haven't looked in the car as I wasn't in it...and when I'm in the car, the glasses are always fixed firmly to my head as I can't see to drive without them....it's in the house that I take them off to read and then wander away from them. No need to ask my friends as they came over after I lost them. I mean it was so natural, that I wasn't even worried about having misplaced them as I do it frequently enough, but they are always left out on something....the counter, the end table, the nightstand....and I just figured I'd come across them as I'm running around the house as I have in the past...but no glasses!

I did look all around the bathroom as the cat has an ear infection and I have to clean and medicate his ears which means he shakes his head and I get a bath, so I thought maybe I put them someplace in there... a drawer or a shelf...where they wouldn't get splattered, but I haven't found them.

And so far, apparently St. Anthony has been busy....

GWLolo, I love it...lo-jack for your glasses!

I keep thinking they are the same place DH's keys went...he was home so the keys had to be too, but we never did find them...had to get them replaced at $300! Ouch!

We might have a poltergeist...We tore the old house down which was built in 1790 and which both DH and his mother and my brother swear was haunted, so DH thinks "Pinky" the ghost may be back again...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm actually trying to take my missing glasses as a message from the universe to be more mindful...had I been mindful when I took them off, I'd know where they are.

And I do admit that with the pair I'm wearing now, I am much more mother hen over them...after all, I only have one spare pair left!

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Annie, at the moment I have my readers on and the pair for distance on my head~i've made the conscious decision this is the only way I can keep track of both. LOL

When I had my last eye exam 2 months ago, I decided I would have *both* surgeries. The doc said there was a sight possibility I would still need readers, but i'm ok with that.

The surgery for the distance problem will be partially covered(medicare/secondary??),but the other will come out of my pocket, about $1200. It's worth it since I get two pairs of new glasss every 2 1/2 years, with a cost factor of usually $600+ since the designer ones are always more 'appealing'. I'm thinking March, one eye at a time. Have you considered surgery?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not into eye surgery....a dear friend of mine is a professor of optometry and married one and my optometrist all wear glasses....I take that as a hint. But I know others who have had it done and are very happy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Poltergeist activity:

Since we moved into our home 2 1/2 years ago, the following has happened for no apparent reason...and the frequency of these events seems to be escalating....

The pipe on our central vac disconnected.
    DH lost his car keys--never found.
    The plug for the security system came unplugged.
    I lost my glasses--still not found.
    The plug for the water softener system came unplugged.

Eerie to say the least.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just in case anyone was wondering, I still haven't found my glasses...I'm thinking it's time to order a new pair....

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

OMG, I saw the subject in my email and I thought, "SHE FOUND THEM!" I was so looking forward to the answer to this mystery, sigh. I'm starting to think they must have gone into the trash. Well, it's always nice to get a new pair.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ha-I thought the same as cindyloo! Yes, definitely time to order a new pair!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Annie, I haven't read all the posts so maybe this was discussed but with glasses and keys you need to pick a spot to leave them and never deviate.
    I go through this with my DH to the point that he thinks I am moving things. Ok, I admit to hanging up clothes etc. but not keys or glasses!
    Sometimes I might leave my sunglasses in a coat pocket. They are expensive prescription glasses so my heart drops when I go for them and they are not where I leave them. But, that, my pocketbook or the table that I always leave my pocketbook on are the only places they would be.
    Find a "command station" that is convenient for you. It works!

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

You had said you had gone out to get the paper. Perhaps somehow they ended up between the papers. I know I have found many missing items "between" papers. Of course by now they are long gone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found them! I found my glasses!

DH and I were upstairs in the attic looking for electrical converter for our upcoming trip. Didn't find the converter, but as I was going through boxes, I came across one and there, right on top, were my glasses!

I don't even remember going up there, or why on earth I would come down all the way from the attic without them as I need them to see distance. But there they were. The box was fairly near the old file cabinet, so I must have been up there looking through old papers for some unknown reason.

But who cares?!?!!?

I found my glasses! Wahoo!

• lizzie_grow
    10 years ago

Wahoo is right!!

• golddust
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness!!! That is wonderful. Yay!!!

• cindyloo123
    10 years ago

OH MY GOD! One of the great mysteries of the year has been solved. Congratulations and thanks for remembering to tell us!

I left my glasses in Alaska last month, but I'm told they will be arriving by mail soon. It's awful not having "eyes"! LOL

• annie1971
    10 years ago

Maybe you have squirrels in the attic that take your stuff when you're not looking. It kind of reminds me of our German Shepherd when I was a kid. After Sandy died, dad was digging for some reason in the back yard, and uncovered Sandy's stash of treasures -- one of my shoes (which I got into a whole log of trouble for losing); mom's nightgown, dad's socks, a pair of scissors and a bunch of mom's pancakes!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Wow, Annie1971, those must have been some pancakes if they were still intact and recognizable after being buried! I can't imagine a dog not wolfing them down but burying them instead.

And hooray for op Annie for find the glasses. They are always found in the last place you look! :)

• busybee3
    10 years ago

lol ... at last!

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

glad to hear that, how funny thoughâ¦.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio