Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

How RU doing in Atlanta?

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

The pictures of what's going on in Atlanta due to the snow have been horrendous. Are you folks recovering yet? Is the ice gone yet. What an absolute mess!

And how about the rest of you southern birds....fill us in.

Comments (9)

• User
    10 years ago

I'm not in Atlanta, am in Virginia Beach. It's my first winter living in what was our summer beach house and there are a lot of problems! My house is on pilings, a few blocks from the beach and it sits on a small lake so it gets no protection from the wind -- my pipes are freezing and bursting! Am having plumbers back for today for the third time -- need a shower!! There is plywood under the house beneath the pipes, but evidently there is not enough insulation in there. UGH so annoying..... We got ten inches of snow and they don't plow many of the streets -- the only people out on the roads are plumbers!

• nanny2a
    10 years ago

WeâÂÂre up on piers on the SC coast, and have had our hot water pipes freeze twice, curtailing use for several days, but fortunately, (knock on wood), they have never burst! I donâÂÂt know why weâÂÂre so lucky. Bridge to Hilton Head Island was closed temporarily due to icing, but opened up later in the day. Fortunately, no real problems except bitter cold......

• golddust
    10 years ago

My sister lives in Peachtree City, a half hour away from Arlanta. It is supposed to warm up today. She thinks the media overdid it. I think she is complacent in the comfort of her home.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

My sister lives in Atlanta and our parents now live with her. During the worst of it, my BIL could not get home (a 20 minute drive during non-rush hours). He had to sleep at his business for the first 2 nights. My nephew was visiting with his mom and our parents and got stuck there with them. Much better than being stranded on the roads! My niece was home sick in her apartment with the flu. Her live-in boyfriend got stranded on the highway while heading home from work. After 5 hours he abandoned his car and walked to a business where he could stay warm and spend the night safely. He was not dressed for that weather. Heck, he doesn't even own clothes for that kind of weather, poor guy. Thank goodness my parents were safe at home with my sister and nephew! Stuck out driving somewhere with their health problems would have been life-threatening for them both.
    Lynn

• allison0704
    10 years ago

I'm in Birmingham, which is due west of ATL. We had no warning it was going to be more than a dusting. I never leave the house if it's storming, much less snowing. We live in a valley and have to cross mountain to get here. The main road just opened back up this morning. Someone in our neighborhood wrecked their car in our neighborhood this morning in still icy S curves/flat.

I made the mistake of thinking we were getting a dusting. Went to my parents house, left and saw the roads were getting bad. Drove about a mile to DD2's office - thought I was going to pick her up. We spent the first night there. Luckily, they have a full kitchen and cook lunch there daily, so we had plenty of food. I slept on a gurney in the recovery room alongside the only patient that was stranded. We watched An Officer and a Gentleman on the wall in the waiting room via the computer/Netflix and a projector. Played Golf (card game) and Never Have I Ever (like Truth or Dare w/o the dare). :D

I have a SUV 4WD, so we made it to her house the next day. I then spent 1.5 hours trying to make it to my house. Should have taken me 12 minutes. I slept the second night at her house and finally got home after an hour of driving yesterday. Three ways to my house and all hilly.

DH was able to make it within 12 miles of our house on Tuesday. Left his truck parked there until yesterday. He hitched a ride with a man driving a Jeep. All in all, it took DH 6 hours to get home. Usually takes 30 minutes. Thank goodness our oldest moved back in with us so the dogs were taken outside.

Snow is okay, ice is not! I love this video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ice Skating on the streets of Birmingham, AL

• porkandham
    10 years ago

I was out running errands when the snow started falling. I was surprised at how fast the roads deteriorated, and when I saw the traffic on 285 and 400 from overpasses, I made the decision to pull my kids out of school. So glad I did! I barely made it out of the school parking lot. If I had waited any longer, I think we would have had to walk home. Doable, but not ideal. Our school system didn't make the call for early dismissal until 1:45 and had no busses in place. By then, it was already too late!

I have many friends who were stranded overnight, walked for miles in the snow and ice in their business clothes, or who endured 6-8 hours in the car to make what is normally a 20-40 minute trip. I'm so thankful that my little family was safe and warm!

The city is slowly returning to normal. There are still icy patches, but most streets are passable. We were able to go out to dinner with friends last night. Most school systems, ours included, decided to err on the side of caution and cancel classes today.

• deegw
    10 years ago

DD goes to college about an hour North of Atlanta. She had off Wednesday and part of Thursday. Of course she and her room mates took advantage of the free time and walked downtown to "socialize" on Tuesday night.

I live on the GA/Fl border. We had one outdoor pipe burst during that last cold snap. DD16 had a snow day Wednesday. i think we had sleet for about 5 minutes.

DH was visiting one of his businesses in Alabama on Monday. He drove from Alabama to the Atlanta airport on Tuesday morning and flew out just before all the mess hit the fan. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow what a mess. So glad everyone managed to stay safe, even if much delayed. The pics of ice skating on the streets were something. I've been on roads like that and there's little anyone can do until they spread sand and salt, but I guess down there, there isn't a lot of prep for that kind of activity.

• allison0704
    10 years ago

We have sand trucks, but I was told they sent them south since it was suppose to be worse. Live and learn, I guess? Haven't seen that in writing, so don't know if it's true. The roads were so clogged it didn't matter anyway.