Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

At 5:45 a.m.....crash!

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

So for some reason, I woke up and I'm laying in bed. As I'm laying there, I hear a car go by and then a bang. Seems our newspaper delivery person was going by and slid off the road and into our stone wall. There was a thin glare of ice on the road from the fog that had settled and then froze.

I felt so badly for him. First of all, it's a nasty, thankless, and low paying job that frankly isn't worth it. I mean they have to even buy the plastic bags they use to wrap the papers in! Between the wear and tear on the car, the gas, the hours and the pay, I'm not sure why anyone takes the work on.

He'd had an accident with his own car, pulling out of a driveway and got hit. So he was trying to save his money to buy a new car and was using his brother's car when this happened. In between, he was out of work for 2 months. One step forward, 2 steps back...

But I'm thankful no one was hurt. And glad that I have a stone wall that protected our truck from getting hit. Now there's something new for my punchlist...get the stone wall repaired.

About 20+ years ago, we has something similar happen...newspaper delivery person coming around the corner on icy road and hit the stonewall down below, but the way she hit, the car literally flipped over and landed in the lawn upside down on its roof!

Hopefully it'll be another 20 years before we have it happen again....

Comments (6)

• dedtired
    10 years ago

How frightening! Poor guy. Poor wall! That does sound like a completely thankless job. Sounds like you had a long conversation with him to get all that info. Lucky guy that you were there to help.

I suppose his insurance should pay for your wall, presuming he has any. That may cause his rate to go up (or his brother's).

There is a lovely old house near me. It has a fairly tall stucco wall along the street side, with opening at two points for the driveway. There is another street perpendicular to the house. I drove by the other day and the wall has a big hole in it. It looks lie someone came barreling down the other street and dove straight into their wall. What a shame. I don't know if anyone was hurt, but it will be difficult to repair a wall like that one. It is painted stucco. I hope it can be repaired so that the patch does not show. The whole thing will have to be repainted, I'm sure, and it is big.

Well, hope your wall and the delivery person's situation are put back in order soon.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, these things happen...fortunately we have a guy who does our stone work, and dry stack stone is easy to repair...not like the painted stucco. Yikes!

You hear about these places in the news that get hit by cars all the time...something about how the road is designed or the intersection or whatever.

When I was growing up, there was a tree down the road that was near the edge of the road at the peak of the hill on a curve and the poor tree got nailed on a regular basis. Now they've changed the road some, added a stop sign and the tree is gone...no more accidents.

Here is a link that might be useful: house hit by car

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

How awful for the guy! And for you/your stone wall, of course, too.

I am glad nobody was hurt at least.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Poor guy! I'm glad that he wasn't badly injured, though. Sorry about your wall, too. These punch lists have a way of growing and growing despite us working madly to check things off!
    Lynn

• Jamie
    10 years ago

We had a crash that night, too, at 4:33 a.m CST -- Just 12 minutes before you!

The trusty 3M hook gave way and the convex eagle mirror went down with a bang.
    The pointed end at the bottom took the first hit, gouging the baseboard.

I was sleeping like the dead. I heard the noise but DH was out of bed before I could figure out whether I was still asleep and whether I could remain awake to deal with it. He made sure I had a phone in my hand and then went down to explore. I think it took him a while to discover the downed mirror -- I believe I heard him opening the garage door and marching around for some minutes.

The mirror was showing it's age to begin with, and now much more so. He says he want to fix it. I wouldn't mind getting rid of it. I'm in a mood where I could get rid of everything and buy new these days. Hah, except all the *carp* in the basement, which I take days trying to throw out.

(edited to say 12 minutes instead of 2 minutes)

This post was edited by jamies on Sat, Jan 18, 14 at 15:52

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't heard anything from his insurance co. yet....have to give them a call on Monday....