Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn237

Ipad air or Ipad mini

Lyban zone 4
10 years ago

Hi all,

I have the original Ipad and have always enjoyed it.
No camera but that was fine.

It is now time for me to get a new one and I am thinking of getting the mini to make it easier to carry with me in handbag .

Some say that they would not like the smaller size but I am not sure. Can anyone who has one or who has tried both give me some advice.

Comments (14)

• redcurls
    10 years ago

I have both. I like the bigger one in the evening when I'm multitasking. (watching TV and surfing the web) or when I'm using it in the kitchen to follow a recipe. I like the mini when I'm using it in a waiting room or somewhere else outside the home since it fits well in my purse. It is also the better of the two for taking pictures and video. If I was choosing, I'd probably go with the mini since you already have the original, which I had as well. The new ones use a much smaller connector to sync and you will find IOS 7 a bit different, but except for being faster, the ipad experience is pretty much the same, though the Air seems SO MUCH thinner and lighter.

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

We have a regular iPad and I got a mini for Christmas. Never personally wanted an iPad as I do most everything on my phone and I can carry my phone in my pocket. I do have a Nook ereader and I said when they came out with a mini with retina display I would like that to potentially replace my Nook and for bigger browsing than my phone. So far I really like it. I would not want the larger one because I like something smaller as an ereader. I also like that it fits more easily in my purse.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

I have both and I prefer the mini, it's so convenient to take in my bag. I do use both of them but more so the mini. I think the mini is the best choice.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

I have no problem putting the regular size iPad in my purse. It is a little heavy, though, but it can work. Especially for things like meetings and conferences, I don't have to pack another bag. For the major conference, they put the whole program on an app now.

I just use the magnetic leather cover. There are certainly fancier cases that can be a bit bulkier, some that include keyboards.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I have an iPad 2 and a mini. I use the larger version when I am at home because I prefer the larger screen, but I like that the mini fits into my purse, so I carry it when I go out. I bought my parent an iPad Air for Christmas and didn't find it appreciably lighter than my iPad 2. Also, I don't have a smart phone, so I use the 4G data capability on my mini for smart phone functions.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

How about choosing between an ipad mini or a new ipod? I don't have a smart phone and don't want one but would like to have something portable to jump on the internet away from home, and also to snap pictures. I just use my laptop at home.

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

Dedtired, unfortunately, iPods only allow Internet access through wifi. If you are out and about, it's nice to have data access through a mobile network. I also consider the mobile access my backup if my home wifi stops working.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Lyban -- I receive emails from QVC, and their "Today's Special Value" starting at midnight Sunday is a 16GB iPad Mini w/Wifi and a few extras -- case, earbuds, headphones, stand, car charger, stylus pen, USB cable, keyboard. Tech support for the life of the tablet. (It does not have the Retina technology, tho.)

$500, free shipping.
    I honestly do not know how this stacks up to the Apple Store's prices (or other retailers'), even when the extras are added in.
    You might want to check it out. I do not work for either Apple or QVC -- I just opened the e-mail and remembered you are looking at a new iPad.

• redcurls
    10 years ago

$500 is definitely NOT a good price on the mini. QVC's prices on all Apple products are always bad, and always seem to be sold in a bundle so you might not realize how much extra you're truly paying. You can do better ANYWHERE else. The price of that mini is around $300 and you can buy it online from Apple dot com and have it in a week. A good case is in the $25-50 range, many decent ones even less. The device comes with earplugs and charger included. Most discount stores sell Apple products at the exact same price since Apple does not allow discounts, but sometimes you can get like a $25-50 Gift Card thrown in at Target, Best Buy or WalMart. Another option is to buy a refurbished one....FROM APPLE only...and they carry the same warranty as a new one. I've bought MANY,MANY Apple devices from their refurbished line. Though I've never had a problem, I would still only buy refurbished directly from Apple; nowhere else.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so many responses. thank you but I am still not sure. It seems to be 50/50 for either mini or regular.

There is a difference of 100.00 but I am not concerned with that as much as which ne I would like better.

As soon as the stores are quieter , I guess next week I will go by the apple store and try out both.

In the meantime all replies are welcome.

• pammyfay
    10 years ago

Wow, Redcurls -- who knew the price would be jacked up so much?

• 3katz4me
    10 years ago

$500 for a mini with retina display could be a good price depending on what size you get. The larger ones are even more than that. Also it doesn't come with ear buds - just a charger.

• Lyban zone 4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gibby
    I believe that pammyfay said the one at 500.00 did not have retina display so that is the old one, not a good price.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

It kind-of adds up to be the same when you add the cost of the items in the bundle..
    The $300 Apple store one does not even include the keyboard.
    But..........
    Apple charges $99 for a 2 year AppleCare contract
    which covers 2 incidents of damage , each incident subject to a $49 charge.
    The QVC $99 SquareTrade contract gives you 3 years
    with no service charge.

Just trying to compare apples to apples á