Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javiwa

Recommend a granite fabricator in Houston?

javiwa
9 years ago

My gut tells me that the 'second chance' we're giving our current installer/fabricator is one chance too many. The least of our many issues are the very visible seams in our Black Pearl countertops: the kneejerk reply both the GC and sub have given me is, of course, "all granite has seams." But I've seen better jobs at HD, floor n tile store prefabbed sections and, yes, in public restrooms! And it's been all downhill from there. I'm new to GW and didn't know if it was against etiquette to post this question in the Kitchens forum, so here I am. Would prefer someone who adheres (minimally) the MIA standards. TIA!

Comments (8)

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

I'm in Austin, and while I can't help with a frabricator, I can tell you to go with your gut! I've discovered the mind can play tricks on you, and sometimes being logicical isn't worth it. ;)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

You will get more help if you post this in the Kitchen forum under "Discussions" (the default when you go the the Kitchen forum) and not under "Conversations". Conversations are for off topic subjects.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I used Max Marble and Granite for my kitchen. They are in Houston proper. I didn't do anything complicated or special other than using marble before most folks would consider it (and I still love it). That was years ago, but we were happy.

If you are on the north side at all. Ditco is the oldest company in The Woodlands area. I recently got a remnant from them and had them fabricate a table top for my fire pit table. I love it. When I did my kitchen, they said no marble in a kitchen because they'd ripped it out of very expensive homes with unhappy buyers or they might have done my kitchen too. The fabrication on my fire pit was simple -- a circle with a hole in the middle and a polished edge, but it's centered, clean and even and they were easy to deal with -- in the store and the guys in the back. I have nothing but the best to say about them.

• javiwa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mmom02 - thank you. It just seemed my question was off-topic, in that I hadn't seen any other post (in the Discussion section) with such a pointed request for a recommendation.

lascatx - thanks to you, too. At least for now, the granite guys seem to be cooperating (e.g., they've agreed to completely remove and replace the bad pieces/workmanship), but I have to eye them like a hawk. Day II is tomorrow, and I haven't let my breath out yet. I'm pocketing your recommendations in case things go south tomorrow!

• javiwa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW, lascax, nothing complicated about my job, either -- as basic as you get: straight runs, Black Pearl granite (no worries about movement), bullnose edging.

I'm thankful to have a couple of local recommendations; otherwise, I may have hit up patty_cakes for an Austin recommendation -- would be worth the drive! ;)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I know another fabricator in Conroe that a neighbor used -- fancier edge details than mine and it looked great. The only other one I know who they used without asking was a Home Depot job. No problems with any of them that I know of. I may have another in town name in my binder -- if I kept the info on what we didn't use. They were the #2 choice for my kitchen and I felt very good about them too. I'll try to remember to check back and see if you need anything further. Hope you get everything worked out without more.

• javiwa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TY so much, lascatx!

• javiwa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heaviest of sighs...Strike Three. Installers were given another chance to get it right, and they once again came up short. I've been told time and again they've done countless homes and projects all these many years, and they've never had issues like the ones I'm having: I must just be very, very unlucky. Last week, I had a very specific, detailed conversation with the sub about framing out my recessed kitchen windows a particular way. Many times, I told him that if what I was asking for couldn't be done, he should let me know so that we could discuss a Plan B. And I reiterated (to the point where I thought I was being annoying) what the particulars were. He assured me several times -- each time! -- that it was completely doable, to the exact standards I asked for. Reasonable, I think: four rectangles laid against the window sides, top and bottom, and slap the backsplash piece in front. Transition from one piece to another should be as smooth as the countertop seams had been done. Unbeknownst to me -- I didn't notice until the end of the day -- he'd called an audible Friday that completely went against my wishes. Why on earth he didn't ask me, I have no clue. I was in the next room the whole time..he knew that. Honestly, had the execution been spot on, I would've adjusted. However, the lines of the rectangle cutout of the backsplash piece are wavy...I'm staring out a wavy-edged window. They essentially couldn't even keep the lines straight when they were grinding the edges, I suppose. (Too picky? When I lay a straight edge along each side, light pokes through. The window measures only 10" x 22".) Further, they agreed to redo their initial caulk job around the sink because there were so many holes. Their reapplication ended up with the same result: holes in the silicone! I hope some of these local showrooms are open on Sunday, 'cuz I'll be heading out tomorrow to get quotes. Pictured, my recessed window after the first BS was removed...in anticipation of a better result.