Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Girls dresses for cross stitching

Posted by sydneylanier (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 16, 04 at 12:40

Because I don't cross stitch - yet - ( I hand embroider), I'm not in on the cross stitch world...can someone tell me if those little white cotton dresses that are cross stitched (and for sale at high prices!) are available for sale? I was in a store today (Rosalina) and they had both cross stitched dresses and embroidered dresses. I would like to buy a "blank" and do the 'artwork' myself. I tried a GOOGLE search but came up empty. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Girls dresses for cross stitching

At the craft store, you can buy "waste canvas". You machine baste it on most any fabric you wish to cross stitch on. It is an open weave, with a colored thread every 10" so you can keep track of your count. You do your cross stitch design over both this canvas and your garment. Then you wet the garment and the waste canvas sort of just comes apart and you pull it out thread by thread. Voila!

o

What you describe is called "heirloom sewing". If you do a web search for those two words, you will find lots of sources for the fabrics, classes and books tp get started making such clothing. If you are lucky, maybe someone will sell the basic unadorned dresses for your artistry.

o

Also, I don't know about those particular dresses, but Michael's, a craft store in our area, sells aprons, bags, shirts, etc. for adding your handiwork to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here