Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
awkward fabric size needed - what can I get away with?

Posted by Sally2 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 9:28

Hi, I'm pretty much new to cross stitching, having done only 3 kits over the last several years, but I want to do more. I decided I want to try stitching from a design instead of a kit. I went out and got 2 designs real cheap, (half price) yesterday, but discovered that one of the designs calls for a fabric size an inch and a half bigger for both the width and length than what's available at the hobby stores. Arrgh. The stitch count is 216 wide x 313 tall, and 15 1/2 x 22 1/2 if stitched on 28 ct. fabric. They say to cut fabric 21 1/2 x 28 1/2. The fabric I've found at the stores is 20 x 30. Arrgh again! It calls for evenweave fabric, and they recommend Zweigart quaker Cloth. I got on line and found I can purchase the fabric by the yard, but boy! it's expensive! That 20x30 fabric, which was basic evenweave - not quaker cloth - was less than $15.00 but the fabric by the yard was something like $45.00. So much for an inexpensive design! I have a couple of questions. How flexible can I be with brands and such? Can I get just any white evenweave fabric? Also, the design indicates it can be stitched on 32 count, which would make the piece smaller. I found some 32 count linen that's not evenweave. Could I substitute that? Would it be way to difficult for a relative beginner?

To sum it up, my questions are, can I get away with the 20 x 30 fabric? Or, can I get away with using the 32 count linen instead of the 28 ct. evenweave? How much do I need to stick to the fabric recommendations they made? Thanks for helping a beginner!

Sally

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: awkward fabric size needed - what can I get away with?

I am afraid you cannot use the 20x30 fabric and the 32 count uneven weave will distort the pattern. I would check fabric and craft shops locally and see if you can find the 28 count by the yard. They may even have odd end pieces that will be discounted. Any even weave will work as long as you can see well enough.

beverly

o

Thank you, Beverly. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I think there are, or have been, craft stores in the area that specialize in needle arts, so I'll try to find one and see what they have in stock. Thanks again.

Sally

o

Check some Counted Cross Stitch magazines. there is one who advertises odd size fabric. Also at B Dalton book store and other like Borders, they have magazines from England and Australia. Look in these for fabric also. Do you have a shop specilizing in stitchery in your area? They might be able to help you. Also you could look for someone who has entered projects in fairs.

o

you can purchase fabric cut to size from the bolt at various cross stitch shops and Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's Fabrics. If you don't have access to these shops are a number of shops that sell on the internet, such as www.123stitch.com and www.welcomestitchery.com

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here