Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

awkward fabric size needed - what can I get away with?

sally2_gw
18 years ago

Hi, I'm pretty much new to cross stitching, having done only 3 kits over the last several years, but I want to do more. I decided I want to try stitching from a design instead of a kit. I went out and got 2 designs real cheap, (half price) yesterday, but discovered that one of the designs calls for a fabric size an inch and a half bigger for both the width and length than what's available at the hobby stores. Arrgh. The stitch count is 216 wide x 313 tall, and 15 1/2 x 22 1/2 if stitched on 28 ct. fabric. They say to cut fabric 21 1/2 x 28 1/2. The fabric I've found at the stores is 20 x 30. Arrgh again! It calls for evenweave fabric, and they recommend Zweigart quaker Cloth. I got on line and found I can purchase the fabric by the yard, but boy! it's expensive! That 20x30 fabric, which was basic evenweave - not quaker cloth - was less than $15.00 but the fabric by the yard was something like $45.00. So much for an inexpensive design! I have a couple of questions. How flexible can I be with brands and such? Can I get just any white evenweave fabric? Also, the design indicates it can be stitched on 32 count, which would make the piece smaller. I found some 32 count linen that's not evenweave. Could I substitute that? Would it be way to difficult for a relative beginner?

To sum it up, my questions are, can I get away with the 20 x 30 fabric? Or, can I get away with using the 32 count linen instead of the 28 ct. evenweave? How much do I need to stick to the fabric recommendations they made? Thanks for helping a beginner!

Sally

Comments (4)

Sponsored