Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you use a hoop?

Posted by bporter (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 21:07

Hey, this is just something I was wondering about. The person who taught me to cross stitch did not use a hoop, so I never learned to use one. I just hold my fabric with my hands. I find that my cross stitching looks just fine without it. I have tried to use a hoop and it seems to slow me down. Are there many people out there who don't use a hoop to hold the fabric? I once asked a friend if I should start using one and she asked if my projects looked good. They did, so she said not to change anything.....I am really just curious....
Thanks,
Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you use a hoop?

I've tried to go without a hoop but got some serious cramps in my fingers after awhile :o( So you can safely assume that I use hoops to cross stitch. :o)

Karen

o

I do not use a hoop, I find it more comfortable. I use hoops when I do regular embroidery. Mine come out fine this way and I do not get hoop imprints to worry about!
Sisters

o

I could never stitch without a hoop. I use q-snaps on some things and sometimes I use a plastic quilters hoop from Joanne's as I find it grabs and holds the fabric very taut for me.

o

I use a hoop and a floor stand, my hands cramp up if I try to stitch in hand. I've never had problems with hoop marks, even on linen.

I can't get the hang of qsnaps (they are too bulky, or something).

o

If I have lots of 1/4 stitches or have to change colors often I use a hoop. If I have masses of single colors I don't. I do always remove the hoop when I take a break and have never had a problem with marks.

beverly

o

I have always used a hoop which works great for me. I do remove it when I am done for the day.

o

I don't use a hoop. I use one of those frames with the roller bars because it keeps my stitches from getting smashed and prevents hoopmarks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here