Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is counted cross stitch dead in America?

Posted by richard904 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 28, 13 at 13:42

I wanted to post a query here, but I noticed that the last entry was Oct 20th. Is there any real interest in counted cross stitch? My daughter who is 48 implied "how old fashioned!" People are now too busy on iPad or iPhone or Internet with an interest span of a few minutes. So like a library of old books of interest to a particular reader, cross stitch material, patterns, and other supplies should be filed away and left dormant forever. My wife had won blue ribbons at the Topsfield Fair in Massachusetts in the early 1990's, and these hang on our walls and look very good. So that is what is left. As the older generation dies away, all that skill will be lost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is counted cross stitch dead in America?

I hate to report that cross-stitching seems to be a dying art. I am 23 & started cross-stitching a little less than a year ago. I am always experimenting with new forms of art (painting, oil pastels, watercolor, charcoals, needle work, etc). It is very calming & relaxing. Personally, I only know of two other people who currently cross-stitch on a regular basis. A friend of mine & a cousin. The mother-in-law to my cousin used to cross-stitch but drifted away from it for quilting. I wish I could find more people in my area who cross-stitched. I wouldn't mind starting a stitching circle.

I know this is a some what old post, but I could not help but to respond to it. Also, I usually don't venture to the Home Forums on this site. I'm mostly found in the gardening section :)

o

Lullaby,I responded to one of your other posts above.Crossstitch is alive and well,just not over here.I left you a link to go to on the other post.
Kathi

o

It's certainly a lot harder to find a lot of different charts in places that used to carry a bunch, like Michael's. We had a whole store, in the 90s, that catered to cross-stitchers, but it's dead and gone now, out of business.

I think it's like any other craft -- it will return when things cycle around. Different crafts come in style, then go. I noticed that more people are knitting and crocheting these days. So just wait.

Donna

o

Kathi, thanks for the info! Now I suppose it is my turn to distribute a little helpful tip :)

Donna, the only place in my area to find cross-stitch patterns is Hobby Lobby & Walmart..if you are lucky. Buying patterns online gets expensive quick. I've seen kits for sale upwards of $125 or more. The way I have been cross-stitching is I will dig through the internet, looking for pictures of completed cross-stitches that is detailed enough so I can zoom in on my iPad & work that way. It is more tedious than going by symbols on paper, but I am one to push myself when it comes to any category in art. It makes me feel more accomplished of my talents & more proud of the peice in general.

Anywho, if there is a picture I would just love to x-stitch, I have been using www.pic2pat.com. It is the most detailed pattern maker I have found. It's free! No sign ups either. Most other sites or softwares make the final result look blurry or too pixalated. I can't have that when I want to work on a portrait! However, despite my praise for this website, there is one draw back that some people will not like: the most detailed pattern is achieved by turning the settings all the way up. In turn, this makes the peice very large. Below is an example of this. A 11x14 frame for scale. I forget exactly how big the pattern is. The size is not going to bother me. I enjoy working on things of this size. On a side note, I decided to have a little fun & stained the aida cloth with coffee grounds.

Another thing I found to be kind of inconvenient is the lack of a legend to show exactly where the pages peice together. The pages are numbered but can be confusing when trying to puzzle everything together.

o

Lullby,thanks for that link for pic to pat.I've heard of it before,just havn't gone over there.I need to do that though,as I have a picture of the roller skates I had in the 50's and I want to do it in cross stitch.

Did you by any chance go over to 123stitch.com and check out that site?? We do give aways,help each other out in finding charts,send each other charts for a free,or for postage and some for sale.

Lots of enablers there as well,they'll help you spend your money before you even get it!! Just kidding.Check it out though.
Kathi

PS we don't have a brick and mortar store near me either,and joann's only has a very limited supply,especially of charts.

o

I am a dedicated cross stitcher and have been since I was seven years old. There used to be several cross stitch stores in my area. Today there is just one.

In looking for patterns-I do not like to buy kits as I already have more floss than I will ever use and I like to choose my own fabric. So, if you want just a graph, you can go to Hoffmandis.com. Hoffman's is a wholesale distributor for cross stitch graphs. You can choose your graphs and they will send it to the closest craft store in your area.

I got this tip when my favorite store closed and the owner told me about it.

Linda

o

Yes, it's hard to find counted cross stitch items in the stores, etc. May I suggest Ebay? I've bought a lot of magazines to complete my collections from Ebay with excellent results. I have noticed the decline in cross stitchers in my area. I put a huge stack of books in a garage sale at my sisters and had no one interested in them. (They were very cheap too). I will probably just donate to the St. Vincent DePaul store, as I've seen some patterns there too.

o

I too also cross stitch, I am working on Dimensions kit 'Oriental Splendor' and I do the $1.00 kits in between. I don't know anyone that does it. I hope it makes a comeback and also 1000+ puzzles.

o

There are many people that still do cross stitch. The ladies on the forum over at 123stitch post their finishes all the time. There are many get togethers and retreats for it also if you read the boards over there. Mary

o

I'm still stitching, though haven't seen a pattern I'm interested in for a very long time. I make my own, one pictured below. I also don't buy kits since I have just about every color DMC makes. I can't stand pastel colors, most cross stitches seem to be pastel. There's a stack of cross stitch magazines and pattern books a foot tall in my bedroom...

o

Ladies and Gents cross stitching is not dead, at least in my home.
I have more want to stitch projects than I will ever do.
Wish we could get together, of course we would never get any stitching
Done, just find more projects to work up.

o

I've done a lot of cross stitch and hardanger.

I've spent many happy hours in this store:

Here is a link that might be useful: Nordic Needle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here