Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to stitching

Posted by jonnysmom (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 12, 07 at 13:07

Hello everyone. This may be a rather strange request but I am extrememly new to this hobby. Basically, I am trying to quit smoking and would prefer to learn stitching rather than shoveling food into my face throughout the day. I have always wanted to learn but wasn't sure how to start. My question is, what do I need to begin. What items will I need to have on hand when I begin. I would like to start soon. If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it. I know it is in my blood because both of my grandmothers were amazing at it and I would really like to do this in their honor. Thanks, Jodi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to stitching

Jodi,
Glad you want to learn to cross stitch. I assume you are talking about counted cross stitch. I have cross stitched for several years and find it fun and relaxing.
As far as supplies, since you have not done this before I'd suggest you purchase a small kit. You do want to start with something easy so as not to get to complicated and quit. You can find small kits at several places including Wal Mart. Then of course you will need a pair of sissors. That is a good start.
I always start my work in the middle of the fabric and finding the middle by folding it(no need to count). Fold top to bottom and side and where they meet is sufficient for the middle.
A very important thing to remember is that the first thread of the cross should always go in the same direction. I always go from left to right then cross it from right to left but it is only important to do it the same way each time to keep your work smooth.
I work one color as long as it is reasonable.
I hope this is not clear as mud. I will look for a site about cross stitch and post it. I have helped several friends learn to cross stitch but we are usually sitting together.
Feel free to ask questions. This is not the forum I usually visit most but I will check back.

Sally

o
RE: New to stitching*

Jodi,
I just googled "learn to cross stitch" and a whole bunch of sites came up. I looked at several but couldn't choose one. Just look and you will find lots of info.
Good luck on your new venture!
Sally

o
RE: New to stitching

I see that your questions have been answered. I just want to say that I too learned to cross stitch when I quit smoking. You should be so proud of yourself! Plus this hobby is so much more rewarding.

Trish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here