Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hoops

Posted by nibblin (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 19:31

i use a hoop for my project (is that what they're called?), and i leave it on when i'm not working on it. should i not do that? what's the harm?

will it ruin my project?

is there a better way?

thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hoops

I don't use a hoop because I find it can distort your work because the hoop stretches the fabric and as you move the hoop over your stitches it can also stretch the stitches. I was taught never to touch my stitched work with my fingers because I might transfer oils from my hands to the fabric. I find when using a hoop you bunch up your fabric and stitches in your hand sometimes when you stitch with a hoop. I used to use an embroidery hoop when I was a kid when I first learned how to embroider and even then I didn't like the hoop mark that was left on my project.

I use scroll frames. Your work stays flat and clean, and as you work on your project you can roll up what you have already done. I have many different sizes scroll bars and extender bars. I also use a giraffe stand to attach my scroll bars to so my work can be hands free. I can also easily detach the scroff frame from the stand so I can take my work with me to work on.

Here is a link to show you what a scroll frame looks like.

Lots of people use hoops and like them so I guess it is whatever you are comfortable using. I prefer the scroll bars.

Anne

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll Frame

o
RE: hoops

I have both hoops, stretcher bars, and scoll bars that I use depending upon what I am doing at the time. If I'm doing embroidery including cross stich, I reach for a hoop to keep even stitch tension (tried it without and not good) and I'm not picky about marks on the fabric, those launder out when the piece is blocked and pressed. I have multiple projects going so stretcher/scroll bars would be impractical for me for embroidery.

With stretcher and scroll bars, you have to attach the fabric to the horizontal bars so I like those for crewel work and needlepoint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here