Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much do you pay for your supplies?

Posted by nookie (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 5:02

Here's just a little fluff thread to get some conversations going.

How much do you pay for your supplies?

In France the price of thread is outrageous!! I pay about $1.50 a skein!! I just can't figure out how they justify their prices because DMC is fabricated about an hour away from where I live!! They're french!! Thank-goodness my mom sends me what I need from the states. Even with shipping costs I save bundles of money.

Another thing are kits. I recently bought a teddybear kit at Wal-mart for $9.99. The other day I found the exact same kit in France and it cost 65.00!!!!! With the conversion that makes it what?about $80.00 ?!!!!!!! Can you believe that?!!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much do you pay for your supplies?

Karen, that's totally wacky that it costs less for your mom to ship you thread from America that's made near you! Who knows about marketers? And I'm guessing they sell those things, or else they'd lower their prices.

I was really annoyed a few years ago when the going price for DMC floss went up from about 25 cents to 35 cents. Then I kind of had a reality check and realized how far you could stitch on 35 cents!

I do a lot of quilting, and I don't understand how JoAnn's can charge $2.99 per yard for cotton calico, and Hancock's about 1/4 mile away charges $5.99 for the same stuff.

Donna

o
RE: How much do you pay for your supplies?

I try to buy my floss when it goes on sale and I can sometimes get it for 3/1.00 if I am lucky. I carry a sheet in my wallet of all the DMC numbers and when I buy a skein I cross that off the list so I always know what I need or what I don't have.

I also used to work in a stitchery shop that my friend owned on weekends and instead of being paid I worked for supplies. I think I got the better end of the deal. LOL

I don't buy kits so I really don't know how much they run. The one and only time I bought a kit there was not enough floss to finish the project and that turned me off of kits.

My linens I get cut to the size I need so there is never any waste and I don't pay for what I don't need.

I have spent a lot of money on charms, beads, trims and fabrics though.

Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here