Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tangled thread

Posted by stitchingbee123 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 0:47

hi all,
so i'm new to cross stitching but i'm already enjoying it very much. i have one major problem. i am do a very easy pattern in cross stitch and everything in the front of the fabric looks fine but the back of the fabric is a tangled mess as shown in the picture i attached. i have no idea what i'm doing wrong and any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tangled thread

As you stitch, you add a subtle twist to the needle every time it moves through the fabric. This causes the thread to twist, and eventually a twist will fold over on itself. Then you stitch over that, causing a knot.

The fix is two fold: First, let your needle dangle ever 10 stitches or so so the twist drops out of the thread. Second, check the back of your fabric frequently to make sure you're not getting a tangle. I like to hold my fabric so that the thread runs under my finger as I pull through to the top, that way I can feel if a knot forms.

o
RE: Tangled thread

Well said. If you catch it before you make the next stitch, pulling on the loop usually releases the forming knot. If you use flat bobbins to roll thread, that can cause creases/bends in the thread. Those bends are where the knots try to happen. After I load my needle with thread, I moisten my fingers and run them along the thread until it relaxes. Getting rid of those bends should eliminate a lot of the attempted knots.

Is it going too far out on a limb to guess that maybe you like pink?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here