Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Felt on plastic canvas?

Posted by lexie1397 (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 15:44

Hi! I'm just getting back into my cross stitching, and trying to make use of my plastic canvas. I've used it in the past, and always wind up seeing so much of the plastic through my pattern, no matter how many threads I use.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to adhere thin felt to the canvas then stitch through both layers. Has anyone ever tried this? Any recommendations on adhesive? How many threads would you try for 22ct? 10ct?

My thought is that I could finish with another piece of felt on the back, and either stitch over the eges or wrap in ribbon.

Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Felt on plastic canvas?

That sounds really cool! Wondering if you have access to different canvas than I've seen? There are only 5-6 squares per inch in the canvas I have, which would be very limiting in regard to pattern size. I think if you started stitching in the middle, glue might be unnecessary. You could use some of the tiny binder clips to hold it together while you work. What about using yarn or even thin ribbon, or cording instead of cross-stitch thread? The thickness of it might show up better.

OT alert: I had bought these sheets of plastic canvas thinking they would be good to teach a friend's daughter how to cross-stitch but we discovered it's even harder because the holes are so big that the needle just falls through too easily and it's hard to get started without tying a knot which is against "my rules for cross-stitch." No knots allowed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here