Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do people charge for cross stitching?

Posted by mewhorse (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 8:28

Hi. I have read the rules and don't think I'm technically breaking them as I am not advertising a business or offering a service...yet...just would like to know if anyone could give me some advice. I would like to start my own small business offering for sale completed craft items (cross stitch/latch hook/paint by number/beaded ornaments/crochet etc.) as well as my own services on other peoples projects. I would like advice from any who have seen these sort of sites before and know what do people charge ie per stitch and per completed project. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially any links to these sort of websites (Canadian or US only though please). Thank you and I hope you can help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do people charge for cross stitching?

When you are paid for model stitching (from a designer to put on the cover of the pattern) it is normally 1 cent per stitch and they give you the fabric and thread. But if you were going to buy everything to sell you would have to add that in.

So, let's say that you are making something that is a 5x7 size.
Just plain aida cloth is about $5 (that's cheap and on sale).
Floss: $.28 each color (on sale if you are lucky 4/$1) Might need, let's say 10 colors : $8
Stitch count: 30x50 : 1500 stitches@.01 = $15
Frame and mat: $20

So JUST the stuff to make it is $48. Are you going to charge anything for the amount of time you worked in it? If you are able to finish it in a day that is 8 hours at at least min. wage: $50 (8 hours @ $6.25)

So it would be close to $100 for a small piece with no beads or bleading filament (both at $1.50 a package)

Just a thought. Most people don't realize that THAT much work goes into it. Have you ever stitched anything before? If not, make a small piece and then deside if that is what you want to do.

Good luck.

Diana

o
RE: What do people charge for cross stitching?

hi, I also wish to have the small business offering for completed cross stitch on internet but didn't have experience yet. I'm in China and I found a completed cross stitch doesn't cost that much as in US ( say 5x7 item probably cost only $30 or even cheaper). And I think you can get more profit by buying from China instead of cross stitch by yourselves. I did several pieces of cross stitch before and it really spent time and energy. So if you would like to buy from here,I can source for you in China. Actually I'm looking for a partner in US to sales abroad. If you have interest, you can contact me by my email:
ibovgu@gmail.com

by the way, I find the website to buy and sell such kind of hand-made stuff for your reference.It's a US website.

www.etsy.com

Hope to hear from you.

Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here