Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie & HELP?!

Posted by PMcOuntry (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 13, 04 at 23:20

Hi, I had set aside a rather large cross stitch project because it was getting monotnous, I was getting ready to go back to it when I noticed all around the "frame" area, yellow stains!!!! We do not smoke or anything and I have no idea what caused this! I use Q-Snaps and always wash my hands and use no hand cream when stitching. When I put it down for awhile, it was perfectly white as it should be, now there are yellow lines all around the fabric and it's spreading?! I don't understand, I put a ton of work into this and am very upset. Anyone know why or what?!

Patricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie & HELP?!

When you say a while, how long a while was this sitting in a frame? What did you store the work in? Paper or plastic?

For starters, you left it in the frame and probably have stains from the q-snaps. That's a no-no like leaving fabric in a hoop for any extended period of time. I did a number on an embroidery piece by leaving a metal hoop with resulting rust stains that won't come out--the metal hoop is long gone and I only have plastic hoops in contact with fabric while working on a piece.

As far as salvaging your work, you can soak it in cold water and detergent for a few days and see if the stain lifts or get creative and sew a decorative something around to hide the stains. If the stains are leaching inward toward the design, lessons well learned not to leave anything attached to a frame or hoop and walk away from it for "a while" depending on what length of time a person considers for "a while".

o

Thanks for your quick response. I thought maybe. I didn't realize Q-Snaps could do that?! I can see a metal frame, which I don't use, but just plain old plastic? Wow! Learn something new everyday! I will try and get it out, if not, like you said, LESSON LEARNED! Thanks again!

Patricia

o

If this is a counted cross stitch and you have the chart, you can start the project over again if stain removal and inventive bordering won't cover the stains. Ironically, the chart will go faster because you have done it once and are familiar with the chart.

The only time I use a frame is needlepoint. I learned to embroider with a hoop and stay with a hoop even for counted cross stitch--easier to keep track and control the area you are working with and in. I tried a frame and found it cumberson to work on and not portable friendly where I can grab the project, the chart on a magna holder and a few necessary floss patties in a plastic bag and throw in my purse or tote bag--I keep an old snap open eye glass case with needles and scissors in the case.

o
Hoop vs. Q-Snaps

I didn't like the hoops, I used them for years and then I found the Q-Snaps and loved them. Everyone likes different things though. I will however take them off projects I'm setting aside for more than 1 week.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here