Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Need help on something!

Posted by kerri072190 (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 07 at 21:41

i was just wondering how do people stitch on clothing or towels and make it so perfect ? the only thing i know how to stitch on is the paper that has the holes in it lol?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Need help on something!

There is product called waste canvas that gives you the grid to sew on non evenweave fabrics. It has horizontal and vertical threads stuck together with a starch. It can be puuchased in various thread counts, i.e. stitches per inch, at needlwork shops and big stores like Michaels.

Cut the size you need for your design plus an inch or two. Than baste the waste canvas to the material with the horizontals and verticals lined up with the weave of the fabric. When you are done, remove the basting stitches and moisten the waste canvas if possible. You can use a spray bottle or dunk the design in water. Then pick the waste canvas threads out by pulling them with a pair of tweezers.
If you can't wet the design, you can still remove the threads, but it is more difficult to do this.

The work you saw on towels might have used crossstitch fabric tape. This is a ribbon of Aida sewn on to the towel after the embroidery is complete. Remeber to wash the towel and the tape as they may not shrink at compatible rates once the tape is attached. Another idea is to use the grid of checked material, such as gingham, as your sewing guide; this works nicely for aprons and childrens clothing. Finally, there is an entire industry devoted to selling you premade clothing and domestic items with inserts for cross stitch. Try Charles Craft or Craftsmen's Studio.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here