Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddy_paws

Blackwork

muddy_paws
20 years ago

I was just cruising through and looking to see what everyone else is up to, and I noticed that I didn't see any mention of blackwork. It is my current favorite form of counted thread embroidery. Is anyone out there doing blackwork? What have you made, and what use was it put to? What insane thread count do you prefer?

Some of the things that I have made have been,

a matching pair of cuffs, and collar for a historic costume,

a small cap with sheep and flowers on it.

a twelve sided ball with each side being a different filling pattern, and I'm still working on the sleeves for a second Elizabethan costume.

The costume parts were used for my costumes for the Renaissance Faire, and the ball does double duty as a sampler and a toy. It is fun to bend people's brains by tossing it around at the faire. Someone invariably comments that "they didn't have PRINTED fabric in the 16th century" to which I reply that "I haven't got enough money to have the printer put my fabric on his press. It's embroidered." They usually demand to see it up close at this point. The look on their faces as they study the ball, and try to imagine how long it took to make is quite entertaining!!

Then suddenly the jaw plummits halfway to the planetary core and they gasp out "and you are PLAYING with it HERE!?!?!?"

Well, what else do you do with a toy? Sadly, it is starting to show it's age, but the enjoyment and amusment make the wear worth it!

As to the insane thread count that I prefer, anywhere from 18-32 to the inch.

Sharon/Muddy Paws

Comments (5)

Sponsored