Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with stitching mess...

Posted by jerseyearth (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 0:18

hey all...

I am reaching out to try to figure out a messy little problem i have with stitching..

i have trouble stitching where there is a background block of stiches that another color is stitched in the middle of.

the stitches are all squeezed in and tend to look sloppy. That's why I don't like cross stitching color blend photo-like designs..i'd rather do the more traditional primitive sampler type.,

So..if i have a design that has a date stitched on top of a solid background,what is the best way to keep the stitches neat?Is it better to stitch the background first, keeping spaces for the top design-- stitch over the background? or is it better to stitch the top design first and fill in thee back? Either way my stitche come out a mess if i'm stitching a name or number against a solid background.

Thanks for any tips and advice.

pat in Jersey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with stitching mess...

Letters and numbers are hard to do and where you start using quarter and half stitches to round the numbers out. On the background you do the corresponding quarter and half stitches.

You might also try using a hoop, some try without a hoop, and never managed to go hoopless with cross stitch because of personal tension issues.

o
RE: help with stitching mess...

I think I know what you're talking about, but if not, please let me know.

Sometimes when I have a project where it's kinda complicated and the colors blend in together, in order to keep it neat, I stitch using the floss that is used the least. Then, I start adding all the other colors in on top of that one. So, the floss color that is used the most is the last one and it kind of binds it all together neatly.

I hope that helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cross-Stitching Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here