Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hapyfrustrated

Wine bottle lights

hapyfrustrated
16 years ago

I saw this at a craft fair. They took wine bottles, drilled holes in the side of the bottle very close to the bottom, so that the wire from the lights could come through the hole and be plugged in. They had decorated the outside of the bottle with the glass bubble type gems with the flat backs. I was intrigued with the beauty, I could not get to the boothe to buy one, because there were women, crazed to purchase these.

Has anyone made them, or have pics???

Comments (18)

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Hi......Is this what you're looking for? This one is pretty and she gives complete directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: MarleneWatson.com lighted wine bottle

• oddie
    16 years ago

I will be posting a photo of one I am working on soon, made one useing the flat glass marbles, I painted them purple, glued to the side of the bottle like grapes, used the leaves from the plastic grapes for leaves on the bottle, filled the holes where the marbles meet with purple puff paint, stacked a few of the marbles so it looked kinda 3d,, sorry dont have a photo was made for a gift.
    you can also use regular paint and use a small round spounge to make grapes on the bottle, so many ideas! I have saved photo of others I have seen done, if you like I will share some photos of them.
    I also make smokeing bottles from the wine bottle,( they are inscent bunners ). I am working on a Christmas one now that has the lite comeing out of the top, those are good directions kudzukween posted, have to add they do break easy when drilling the holes so get you a few exta bottles and dont give up, love some of those crafts on that site! thanks for shareing
    oddie

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Please DO Share Oddie !! We always look forward to seeing your artistry !

• Posie
    16 years ago

Just want to add this here. My daughter makes these and sold out at a Craft Fair.She doesn't drill a hole in the bottle. She used the tiny lights with a battery. Uses a bunch of artifical grapes and leaves around the top to decorate the bottles and usually uses blue or dark green wine bottles. After putting the lights in the bottle she fastens the battery box on the back side of the bottle and uses the cluster of grapes and leaves to dangle on the right side and they hide the battery box. Hope this is useful.

• blueiris24
    16 years ago

Posie, any chance of your posting a picture of your daughter's wine bottles? I would like to make one for a friend for Christmas but unlike those on the forum here, I am not very crafty and need to see it in front of me to know what I'm doing!

• oddie
    16 years ago

Heres a few photos to study, they are not my crafts, but photo I have saved, all very beautiful I think! the one with the flower is clay, if I remenber right.
    will post mine soon, still have to take photos.
    oddie

{{gwi:1488494}}

{{gwi:1488496}}

{{gwi:1488499}}

• blueiris24
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting them - I've been a lurker here, you have such great ideas. I'm very much a beginner and appreciate the guidance!

• oddie
    16 years ago

Sorry I deleted the photo by mistake! are haveing problems today with photobucket, and will post them agine as soon as it will let me!
    oddie

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I can't wait to see !

• oddie
    16 years ago

{{gwi:1488494}}

{{gwi:1488496}}

{{gwi:1488499}}

sorry about the trouble!
    oddie

• jayokie
    16 years ago

I really! like the one w/the cabin in the snow. (sigh) Now to just find someone that makes them ...no talent in that department, I'm afraid! Thanks for posting the pix....

• kudzukween
    16 years ago

Oh,Posie.......I really love the idea of not having to drill a hole :) I wonder how much wine my sisters have finished off?? I need to get some bottles and try this:)

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Uh-Oh .......... CLAY on a bottle !!!! Now the wheels are turning ! Can you all come over and help me "empty some bottles" ? * grin *

• enjoyingspring
    16 years ago

SOME INSTRUCTIONS I FOUND:

A lighted wine bottle makes a unique gift and is a beautiful night light for any time of the year.

You can leave the label on if the bottle was for a special occasion and write the date on the label or remove the label and apply Rub On Transfers as I have done on these bottles.

Materials Needed:

Wine bottle, washed
    Drill or drill press with 1/4� carbide bit
    Duct tape and electricians tape
    WD40
    Miniature light string with 50 lights
    Wire cutter, wire stripper, twist wire caps
    Chartpak Rub On Transfers.
    (The ones I used: Sno Friends #CSL071 - Sea of Fish # CS145)

Here's How:

1. Wash wine bottle and remove label. Place a piece of duct tape on the area to be drilled.

2. Drill slowly and spray the area you are drilling with WD40 to keep bottle from shattering. Rinse bottle to remove any glass particles.

3. Cut wire off light string about 3� from light closest to plug. Insert end off wire with plug through drilled hole and out top of bottle.

4. Strip cord from ends of wire about 1� and also from ends of wire with lights. Twist wires back together again and screw a twist wire cap on the wires to firmly secure and make connection.

1. Stuff the lights into the bottle. You may need to use a dowel stick to distribute the lights evenly into the bottle.

6. Apply Rub On Transfers of your choice to decorate the bottle.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

One question about those mini battery operated lights - is that a Christmas item or can you buy them year round ?

• oddie
    16 years ago

I use the 20count lights, unless you are useing a large bottle,
    I hope they have improved on the battery lights, the ones I brought had to use two c size batteries, and were in the wedding dept, lights were not very bright and the batteries ran down very fast! but maybe theres new ones now.
    you do not have to cut the cord to insert light, the hole is big enough to put the light throu one at a time till there all in,
    I tape the middle part of the light string to the top of the inside of the bottle with double stick carpet tape, just a small peice so they stay put and hang nice.
    oddie

• oddie
    16 years ago

Wanted to let you know I will be deleteing the photos I posted here, since they are not my photos, so please save photos if you want to.
    oddie

• sugahmagnolias_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Please visit www.sugahmagnolias.com. We have pictures of some Mosaic Gem lights that we created.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!