Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Putting photos on rocks

Posted by kayjones (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 13, 04 at 22:37

I saw a Carol Duvall show a few years ago, and the lady showed how to take a regular 35mm photograph, soak it in a solution, and slide the picture from it's backing onto the rock, making a 'photo rock' - really neat project.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? I need the instructions for this process, if anyone knows them. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Putting photos on rocks

I saw a Carol Duvall show where they did the same thing only slid the photo onto lamp shades. I don't remember what the solution was, but I'll see if I can find out.
The rocks sound neat!

RE: Putting photos on lamp shades

Here are the instructions for the lamp shade. Maybe you could use the same process to put the photos on rocks?
photo lamp shade

RE: Putting photos on rocks

I tried 'something like that' from the Carol Duvall show. The Glossy gel medium was 'clear paint' that was used for painting on glass .You applied a layer or 2 over a color copy - let it dry - then baked it - then "Supposedly" you run it under water and scrape of the paper and you are left with a transparent picture on a sheet of the baked gel medium. Didn't work for me. The picture scraped right off with the paper. I think she was also using these for lampshades and other projects that you need light behind.
It was quite awhile back that I tried it ... hope you have better luck than I did !!! ;)

RE: Putting photos on rocks

You could try using water slip decal paper. I think you would need the white paper so the picture would show up on the rock. You print it with your inkjet printer, seal it with clear Krylon, then put the paper in water. THen it slips right off onto whatever you want it on. After it has dried, seal it several times with clear Krylon again.

I always buy my water slip decal paper from ebay.

RE: Putting photos on rocks

That's a good idea, GardenGirl. I've used the clear water slip decal paper to put designs on mugs, and used the same process that you did. I also buy my decal paper on Ebay.

RE: Putting photos on rocks

What is Krylon? I see it mentioned a lot for sealing different things, but never have been sure what to look for.

RE: Putting photos on rocks

Krylon is a brand name. I know they make paint but I guess
from the answer above they make a sealer too.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here